What can I do with my Dumbbells when I out grow 125 lbs per dumbbell or even 165 lbs per dumbbell?

Again, I only use the weight for squats, deadlift variations like the RDL, and maybe farmers walks whenever I can (I really can't since I live in a room of someone else's apartment. I use bodyweight for upper body training but I might switch to using the DBs for upper sometimes.

So what can I do with them when I reach that point?
Start using the DBs for other exercises. Cleans, overhead presses, floor presses.
Go outside and do farmer's walks.
Also, training at the gym isn't an option, if it was the. I wouldn't be posting this thread...
Why is training at a gym not an option? You stated baseball & boxing are your sports, are you no longer competing in either? Do you mean those are the sports you participated in in the past and no longer actually compete? I mean, it is odd to be currently competing in a sport while not having access to a gym.

No they aren't obvious. If they were then I wouldn't have made this thread, so do you mind sharing these obvious answers?
The most obvious, economical answer is train in a gym.

The second is use barbells, as barbells are the most easily loadable implement.

You have rejected both options, though they are clearly more reasonable than to try to train with dumbbells.

The most obvious, economical answer is train in a gym.

The second is use barbells, as barbells are the most easily loadable implement.

You have rejected both options, though they are clearly more reasonable than to try to train with dumbbells.

I clearly emphasized that I can't go to a gym. Obviously if I couldn't then I wouldn't even have made this thread nor would I have purchased the Dumbbells or any other home equipment to train. So, ironically YOU are ignoring what I'm saying and asking...

You have this close minded view with barbells and gyms. Although they're the best options for someone who cares about lifting 500 lbs or competes in sports like powerlifting, they simply aren't the end all, be all...

You step your fuggin game up. Get bigggggggg

lol @ the OP for gettin' upset that people are trolling him when he is worried that 160 dumbbells won't be enough. If you can get 20 reps on incline with 160lb DB's, you might be one of the best lifters on the planet. If you are, then please PM your name and I'll keep it a secret, but I don't think there are any world record lifters on this forum.

lol @ the OP for gettin' upset that people are trolling him when he is worried that 160 dumbbells won't be enough. If you can get 20 reps on incline with 160lb DB's, you might be one of the best lifters on the planet. If you are, then please PM your name and I'll keep it a secret, but I don't think there are any world record lifters on this forum.

That's just troll 101, call anyone who disagrees with you a troll.

I'd think that would be enough weight for someone doing those sports?? Shouldn't you be training for explosive and speed movements and not absolute strength?

With that weight you could do split squats to work one leg at a time rather than traditional squats. Or you can do step ups onto a stable chair or staircase.

Plyometrics are something definitely in order as well.

Last edited:
I clearly emphasized that I can't go to a gym. Obviously if I couldn't then I wouldn't even have made this thread nor would I have purchased the Dumbbells or any other home equipment to train. So, ironically YOU are ignoring what I'm saying and asking...

You have this close minded view with barbells and gyms. Although they're the best options for someone who cares about lifting 500 lbs or competes in sports like powerlifting, they simply aren't the end all, be all...
And in none of your threads have you ever offered a reasonable explanation as to why training at a gym is unavailable, or why barbells would not suit your needs.

You ignored what everyone said because you were convinced dumbbells were the answer before the first conversation you started on here.

I had to re read the OP to make sure I wasn't seeing things? 160 lb DBs are not enough? WTF?

I had to re read the OP to make sure I wasn't seeing things? 160 lb DBs are not enough? WTF?

For legs I'd assume not. I can be wrong though. Remember, I don't use the DBs for upperbody. I use progressive bodyweight for upper.

And in none of your threads have you ever offered a reasonable explanation as to why training at a gym is unavailable, or why barbells would not suit your needs.

You ignored what everyone said because you were convinced dumbbells were the answer before the first conversation you started on here.
No, it's evident you're just find a new excuse to talk shit. That's why you come on the Internet for. You release whatever anger or bitterness that you have and displace it through the Internet because there's really no other logical reason I can think of. No matter the point you find an excuse to attack me with some bs... It's pathetic...

Also, why do you so badly want to know why I can't go to the gym? It's weird as to why you wanna know and why you can't simply accept the fact that I can't go. That's all you need to know... It's simple... If I could've gone to one then I would've but I can't so I'm looking for alternatives... That should be obvious... Why the hell would I not wanna join the gym ? You're here scolding me for not being able to go to the gym as if you're my parent and I'm purposefully "rebelling" against you're wishes..

You're Corn ball with an apparent close mind and inferiority/superiority complex... You're weird as hell...

having access to DBs up to 160 is likely enough for your needs. Can you do 3x10 Bulgarian split squats with 160 dbs?

having access to DBs up to 160 is likely enough for your needs. Can you do 3x10 Bulgarian split squats with 160 dbs?

Exactly what I as going to post - lots of ways to train legs with heavy DB's. Get back to us when you can split squat those 160's. You're really making life a lot harder for yourself by not just joining a gym though.

Set a goal of lifting the 160# dumbbell from the floor over your head. I don't care how you do it or if you use two hands.

Don't mind me, I'm just wandering through looking for Tosa.

In Papi's previous threads he's made excuse that: he lives in the hood and there are no good gyms, the gyms around him don't allow deadlifts, and that he constantly travels around the country for work. You can still do RDL's with a barbell if they don't allow you to slam weights around. I injured my rib and conventional deads killed when breaking the bar off the floor. Switched to RDLs for 2 months and when I returned to normal DL's I ended up being 20lbs beyond my previous 3 rep max. It's not ideal.... but then again nothing is. You can't wait for everything to be perfect when you have goals in mind, just gotta get in there and at least do something that will get you closer to that end game.

I still don't get why someone would spend 800 bucks on a set of dumbells instead of going on craigslist and finding a good deal on a barbell, squat stand/rack, and some plates. You could set up a way more complete home gym for a couple hundred less. If this dude can fit all of this shit in his apartment, just about anyone can. And honestly, he's got lots of extra goodies and toys that take up even more space. Food for thought.

My last gym only had db's up to 150lbs so I would duct tape 5 lb plates to the ends when I needed heavier weight. Thankfully, my current gym has db's to 250 lbs, though I am nowhere close to handling that monster.

In Papi's previous threads he's made excuse that: he lives in the hood and there are no good gyms, the gyms around him don't allow deadlifts, and that he constantly travels around the country for work. You can still do RDL's with a barbell if they don't allow you to slam weights around. I injured my rib and conventional deads killed when breaking the bar off the floor. Switched to RDLs for 2 months and when I returned to normal DL's I ended up being 20lbs beyond my previous 3 rep max. It's not ideal.... but then again nothing is. You can't wait for everything to be perfect when you have goals in mind, just gotta get in there and at least do something that will get you closer to that end game.

I still don't get why someone would spend 800 bucks on a set of dumbells instead of going on craigslist and finding a good deal on a barbell, squat stand/rack, and some plates. You could set up a way more complete home gym for a couple hundred less. If this dude can fit all of this shit in his apartment, just about anyone can. And honestly, he's got lots of extra goodies and toys that take up even more space. Food for thought.

He says it's a space issue, so I laid out a kettlebell program that would have cost him way way way less and he said he knew better and didn't want a kettlebell routine. It's just nonsense. He wants to do what he wants to do cause he knows better than the nay sayers.

Back