What can be done to make champions defend more?

No, you pay them less so they have to fight more. Dana knows what he is doing.

This is not a reality Sherdoggers want to face.

You want to give the HW champion 5 million a fight in your ideal world? Guess what, that HW champion is fine with 5 million a year.

because then its the same thing of having a 4 month window where a single injury would get the fight cancelled

if you make the window smaller, theres less of a chance of an injury cancellation

also fighters can fight more often since they can sign more fights within a year
Okay, all fighters are paid to attend every event. There are no more entrances from the back. It is like "Price is Right" where they just call them down from the audience. If it is an odd number, then they just call out seat numbers and let fans fight.

That's UFC shill propaganda and should be ban worthy.

Your low test and being a cuck should be ban hammer grounds. Mad?

White belt was banned on a previous account. Yeah. We remember you punk. You opened your mouth too fast. Nice try.

Your low test and being a cuck should be ban hammer grounds. Mad?

White belt was banned on a previous account. Yeah. We remember you punk. You opened your mouth too fast. Nice try.

You wouldn't say that to my face in real life.

Require fighters that pull out of events to attend them or they are automatically cut. Then at the event you announce why they are not fighting and the audience is allowed to throw things at them.

Simple!! Defend the belt within 4 months of each fight or be stripped. No more bulldust interim belts. You are in the fighting game, get out there and fight. No other employee gets to pick and choose when he does his job.

Don't punish fighters so much for losses. Lower the risk and you solve the problem of inactivity.

Strip them if they dont defend between 6-9months. Keep the game going.

One thing that has infuriated me as a UFC fan lately is the lack of title fights within divisions. The ONLY people not guilty are Mighty Mouse and Tyron Woodley... So the question is, what can the UFC do to force champions to defend their belts more often? And I'm not even talking about questionable title defenses like the proposed Woodley vs Diaz (which is ridiculous). As long as champions are active I'm happy.

Simply put, champions should be forced to defend their belts twice a year. What can they do to enforce this? I would suggest the UFC do something to reward active champions. Higher PPV cut if they defend within 6 months? A flat cash bonus if they defend within 6 months? I also think there should be an injury penalty for fighters. Fighters should be required to purchase insurance for their match, and if it doesn't go through (their fault) the insurance pays the UFC. Inconsistent fighters would eventually get too expensive to insure and ruin their career, which they deserve if they are AKA.

At the end of the day I'm really starting to lose interest in the UFC, and I'm sure other people are starting to feel the same way. If the UFC can't get a handle on the situation and force their champions to defend more often, they are going to start losing viewership.

Some of the more recent Championship Defense delays (there have been many in the past 5 years):

135 - I'll give Cody Garbrandt a pass here since he's doing TUF, which takes time. 7 months inactive.

145 - Jose Aldo last fought July 2016... literally gifted the championship and has no scheduled defense. This guy is a major repeat offender for not defending. At least 12 months inactive.

155 - Conor McGregor... enough said.

185 - Micheal Bisping used to fight a lot -- he defended against Henderson after only a few months. However he seems to be cherry picking opponents now. He hasn't fought since October and has no scheduled fight. At least 9 months inactive.

205 - Daniel Cormier went over year and a half without defending his belt between July 2015 and April 2017. Some of the problems here were injuries, but still. Let's hope he fights Jon Jones this summer. Went ~21 months without defending belt.

HW - Stipe Miocic will defend his belt in May 2017, which sadly doesn't seem that bad compared to some other champions. But this is still a full 8 months inactive, which is too long.
While I agree on sentiment, I think you are bashing some fighters and blatantly giving a pass to others.

1) Cody - just beat Cruz, and was already calling out Aldo or Conor.
2) Woodley - before fighting Thompson was calling out Diaz & GSP (who didn't even have a contract with the UFC).
3) Bisping - Called two retired fighters who were not from his WC.

that is while:
1) Aldo: was waiting on Conor to the point Conor was stripped from the belt. He then AGREED to fight Holloway in September and Holloway run away to Disney. How is this his fault?
2) DC: he was supposed to defend his belt against Jon Jones. Not his fault Jon screwed up once more.

I think the fix is simple IMO:
1) If you are fighting for the belt, the contract needs to have a clause for mandatory title defenses. I would say 3, so they can fight 3 out of the top 5 contenders (to take care of injuries or scheduling conflicts, etc)
2) after that, if the champ wants a mega-fight, (s)he can have it, but NOT back-to-back. Any mega-fight needs to be followed by another top contender getting a title shot.

This would fix those issues, or at least mitigate them.

stop creating "interim" belts.
just strip fighters that don't defend belt w/in a 9 month period.
if champ is injured and can't defend, then when they are healthy they get an immediate title shot with new champion.

Back