What can be done to make champions defend more?

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
One thing that has infuriated me as a UFC fan lately is the lack of title fights within divisions. The ONLY people not guilty are Mighty Mouse and Tyron Woodley... So the question is, what can the UFC do to force champions to defend their belts more often? And I'm not even talking about questionable title defenses like the proposed Woodley vs Diaz (which is ridiculous). As long as champions are active I'm happy.

Simply put, champions should be forced to defend their belts twice a year. What can they do to enforce this? I would suggest the UFC do something to reward active champions. Higher PPV cut if they defend within 6 months? A flat cash bonus if they defend within 6 months? I also think there should be an injury penalty for fighters. Fighters should be required to purchase insurance for their match, and if it doesn't go through (their fault) the insurance pays the UFC. Inconsistent fighters would eventually get too expensive to insure and ruin their career, which they deserve if they are AKA.

At the end of the day I'm really starting to lose interest in the UFC, and I'm sure other people are starting to feel the same way. If the UFC can't get a handle on the situation and force their champions to defend more often, they are going to start losing viewership.

Some of the more recent Championship Defense delays (there have been many in the past 5 years):

135 - I'll give Cody Garbrandt a pass here since he's doing TUF, which takes time. 7 months inactive.

145 - Jose Aldo last fought July 2016... literally gifted the championship and has no scheduled defense. This guy is a major repeat offender for not defending. At least 12 months inactive.

155 - Conor McGregor... enough said.

185 - Micheal Bisping used to fight a lot -- he defended against Henderson after only a few months. However he seems to be cherry picking opponents now. He hasn't fought since October and has no scheduled fight. At least 9 months inactive.

205 - Daniel Cormier went over year and a half without defending his belt between July 2015 and April 2017. Some of the problems here were injuries, but still. Let's hope he fights Jon Jones this summer. Went ~21 months without defending belt.

HW - Stipe Miocic will defend his belt in May 2017, which sadly doesn't seem that bad compared to some other champions. But this is still a full 8 months inactive, which is too long.

Last edited:
relinquish belt if not defended in 9 mos

You forgot someone...
WhtWtBN.gif

God, I love her!!!!!

Then # times defended belt would be status of goat

One huge problem is fighters pulling out due to camp injuries. Hard to tell when it's legit or when it is abused to 'duck' dangerous fights. Simply put, it is a fighters responsibility to show up in health and in weight and if you can't do that that should be considered a loss. You don't see NFL games get postponed to another date because the quarterback got injured.

Aldo has only won 8 title fights in 6 years. Damn

Aldo has only won 8 title fights in 6 years. Damn
Aldo has pulled out of 5 title fights in 5 years, chances are he will not make it to fight Holloway and find a way to pull out again.

Pay them less, that should work.

dont announce the fights so long in advance

people want like 4 month camps, and if any injuries happen during those 4 months, then they wont fight. so if a single thing goes wrong, they arent fighting more than 2x a year.

fights should be announced 1-2 months in advance MAX, and fighters should be ready whenever

it would reduce people weightcutting 30+ pounds and we would get better fights since people cant spend months only defending their opponents strengths

Maybe they should do like tennis were guys are awarded points for the ranking. You don't fight, you don't get points, you lose your rank.

When Dana puts the new belt on them, it fastens to where only a UFC employee can remove it at their next title defense. It comes equipped with the ability to shock them on demand and ups the voltage every day automatically if it is not removed for a defense within 90 days. To retire, you have to go through one last shock treatment.

I also have an idea for stopping people grabbing the fence. It also involves shocking people.

They wanted mainstream...they got it. THEy wanted enormous fox deal...done.They were somewhat Global. They're global now. They anointed USADA to part of powers that be to legitimise sport-- mission accomplished...

With all this said ,every champion should defend his/her title every 17 weeks against A RIGHTFUL CONTENDER for that strap.

AB-FUCKING C

I don't really care about belts. They can keep the champs busy by having them in non-title fights, like Pride did and that worked fine. You never saw champs just bail out of the company in Pride.

A great start would be for UFC to pay these guys more then peanuts. Then, fighters would start to fight more, think less about "money fights" and would defend but, money fights are what matter now. Paid peanuts to "defend," pissing away your prime on can crushing like MM or dinosaur crushing like JJ is a waste of youth.prime.

dont announce the fights so long in advance

people want like 4 month camps, and if any injuries happen during those 4 months, then they wont fight. so if a single thing goes wrong, they arent fighting more than 2x a year.

fights should be announced 1-2 months in advance MAX, and fighters should be ready whenever

it would reduce people weightcutting 30+ pounds and we would get better fights since people cant spend months only defending their opponents strengths
How about just announce what fighters are on the card. They find out their opponent when their name is called for coming out.

I don't really care about belts. They can keep the champs busy by having them in non-title fights, like Pride did and that worked fine. You never saw champs just bail out of the company in Pride.

No but there was a lot of funny business/fixed fights or so the rumors go.

A great start would be for UFC to pay these guys more then peanuts. Then, fighters would start to fight more, think less about "money fights" and would defend but, money fights are what matter now. Paid peanuts to "defend," pissing away your prime on can crushing like MM or dinosaur crushing like JJ is a waste of youth.prime.
No, you pay them less so they have to fight more. Dana knows what he is doing.

How about just announce what fighters are on the card. They find out their opponent when their name is called for coming out.

because then its the same thing of having a 4 month window where a single injury would get the fight cancelled

if you make the window smaller, theres less of a chance of an injury cancellation

also fighters can fight more often since they can sign more fights within a year

Back