What are you playing now? v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started God of War. Holy fucking overrated. Take on waves of cookie cutter bland enemies in boring repetitive hack and slash combat! Oh here's finally a different type of enemy and it's immune to axe strikes...but it's super sensitive to.....PUNCHES!!! LOL holy fuck
The combat gets more (arguably much more) nuanced as you advance and without spoilers, so too does the means through runic and otherwise. You can by the end take out an entire mob without using any attack more than once.

As JoJo can attest, I say this as someone who also didn't like GoW at first and called out the mindless, rinse-repeat combat on dudes made of alien-shade spaghetti specifically. TBT, I walked away from the game for some time to go back in with a better headspace; ended up liking it a lot upon return.

I'd like to see you tough it out and see for yourself, so I wanted to reply. Run through the story for now without any devoted exploring as you'll always be able to return later – the intention here being to have the game's depth feed into its breadth. Once it clicks, you're in. Do you though, brother. Just what worked for me.

The combat gets more (arguably much more) nuanced as you advance and without spoilers, so too does the means through runic and otherwise. You can by the end take out an entire mob without using any attack more than once.

As JoJo can attest, I say this as someone who also didn't like GoW at first and called out the mindless, rinse-repeat combat on dudes made of alien-shade spaghetti specifically. TBT, I walked away from the game for some time to go back in with a better headspace; ended up liking it a lot upon return.

I'd like to see you tough it out and see for yourself, so I wanted to reply. Run through the story for now without any devoted exploring as you'll always be able to return later – the intention here being to have the game's depth feed into its breadth. Once it clicks, you're in. Do you though, brother. Just what worked for me.
Thanks. I wasnt planning on giving up just yet but when I see game of the year and the first 30 minutes fail to deliver anything compelling I begin to wonder if it's worth continuing.

Last edited:
Just picked up SkaterXL on steam. It is in early access but it feels so damn good to land a trick. The controls are a bit complicated to get used to but once you get a grasp on them it is so much damn fun.

I'm playing through final fantasy XV right now just started a couple days ago and at chapter 5, pretty fun game. Im really digging the combat especially once I got the hang of it and is the most fun part of the game for me. Love the monsters too, they're so unique and cool looking and all kinds of different things like those big giraffe looking things. Lol.

Not a big fan of the story so far or the characters though. I find the main character Noctis so booooring my god, dunno if I'm in the minority with this but I just can't get behind him. Maybe it's just nostalgia but hell I found the supporting characters in FF7 more interesting than Noctis. Supporting characters are alright though and the only thing keeping me from being bored to tears at some points.

Just keep playing. The story gets a lot better once you get to Altessia. Have you got to Titan yet?

If you guys havent played BOTW yet, do it.

I bought my switch just for first party nintendo games and I kept hearing BOTW and Odyssey are some of the best games this gen.

Ive already played 15 hours over 4 days (on holiday from work) and it just blows every other game ive played this year out of the water. Its so goddamn deep, its truly a fantastic sandbox, utter freedom. I love the difficulty of it aswell. Its been a while Ive played a game with such wonderous feeling of adventure, peril at every turn, hell its even kind of difficult. The low durability of gear means you could get squashed by even low level goblins or whatever. I wasnt ever a fan of the zelda games because my experience with em was limited. Only playe a couple of hours of ocarina of time but goddamn this game is a mix of all the best shit from open world games, the fun of nintndo games, difficulty of good action rpgs like dark souls etc. Cant wait to sink even more in. And its goddamn gorgeous.
Glad you're enjoying it. Wish I could wipe my brain from that experience and do it all over new. I never wanted it to end.

Just keep playing. The story gets a lot better once you get to Altessia. Have you got to Titan yet?

Yup just wrote this after beating chapter 4 ? With titan and yes that was definitely my favorite part so far! Was a dope battle and the part where Gladio got in Noctis face for being a bit of a bitch cracked me up. I literally like all the characters except Noctis, he just bores me to tears. Lol

Recently i've finished the story in Red Dead but have no desire to play it online. Doesn't sound very good anyway.

I've finished Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds and have just bought the Bioshock Collection for like £9 so i've started a play through of Bioshock and it is still great.

I've also started Soma but i could tell my gf would be terrified of it so just gonna play it when she is around lol.

Glad you're enjoying it. Wish I could wipe my brain from that experience and do it all over new. I never wanted it to end.

Man I love the game design here, ive not been this immersed in a game since maybe resident evil 7 or bloodborne (replayed) last year. You know youre immersed when you remember needing to pick up a sword for a little kid you met when you played 3 days ago, etc and knowing where they are etc.

I feel like i havent even done a thing yet, and sometimes with the puzzles, im scratching my head thinking this shit is way too hard, only to be like im goddamn stupid once I solve em.

I love that the game treats me like im not stupid. I can see myself just playing this game for the rest of the year. My Goty and havent even played much.

Yup just wrote this after beating chapter 4 ? With titan and yes that was definitely my favorite part so far! Was a dope battle and the part where Gladio got in Noctis face for being a bit of a bitch cracked me up. I literally like all the characters except Noctis, he just bores me to tears. Lol

That's kind of the point of his character. He's kind of a blank slate. The other guys in the crew project themselves on him. I hated Noct too, early on, but, to prevent spoilers, by the end he wasn't so bad. Not nearly as annoying as Tidus or Squall.

Got about 30 hours in Smash so far, also back on Rocksmith since they've released some decent dlc finally. Will probably try to knock out a cheevos or two in Odyssey tonight.

Very minor HZD spoiler:

I've finished Horizon Zero Dawn The Frozen Wilds...
Did you struggle at all with the party-crashing frostclaw trio? That was one of the hardest confrontations in-game for me. I was crafting as fast as I was slinging just to stay in the fight. I ended up cheesing two of the three by running circles around local terrain, including in and out of that narrow crevasse below the ridge near to their initial area of attack. I probably looked very silly to any Werak watching the spectacle but it was RnG or die for me.

I've also started Soma but i could tell my gf would be terrified of it so just gonna play it when she is around lol.
True love, ladies and gentlemen. :D

That's kind of the point of his character. He's kind of a blank slate. The other guys in the crew project themselves on him. I hated Noct too, early on, but, to prevent spoilers, by the end he wasn't so bad. Not nearly as annoying as Tidus or Squall.

Hahahaha fuck I forgot about Tidus glad I did he's such a dork I hated Wakka even more though dunno what it was he just rattled my fucking cage. Lol. God that game had a terrible cast but it was fun as hell. I liked the old FF's much more than the knew ones, I remember the stories because they were memorable. FF7 is still one of my all time favorite stories and it's something where you kinda just remember things. From the early parts in the slums to the shinra parade to going to get Red 13 when you go to see your mom to dressing up like a girl. Haha

Very minor HZD spoiler:

Did you struggle at all with the party-crashing frostclaw trio? That was one of the hardest confrontations in-game for me. I was crafting as fast as I was slinging just to stay in the fight. I ended up cheesing two of the three by running circles around local terrain, including in and out of that narrow crevasse below the ridge near to their initial area of attack. I probably looked very silly to any Werak watching the spectacle but it was RnG or die for me.

True love, ladies and gentlemen. :D

Yes that fight was brutal it felt like i was rolling constantly for about 20mins and getting off the odd shot. Took forever. The fight against the fireclaw(sp?) Was annoying as hell with trying to destroy the control towers as well as kill it. I hate when they barrel towards you with that endless clawing attack.

Last edited:
Goddamn, Bioshock is still amazing. I was worried it wouldn't hold up.

Bioshock 2

Picked up the collection because, why not?

Anyways, I started with 2 because I only remember playing a bits of it when it first came out, and figure I was just burned out on the universe to really get into it. So I'm about halfway through, and one thing can define this game. Redundant. It's fine and all, but they really missed the point of what made Bioshock special. An engrossing story and environment that let's you breathe once in a while to take it all in. This game is pure chaos at all times. You can't stop to take anything in, because it's just constantly throwing shit at you. You can't clear out any areas, because of the constantly respawning enemies, which means you also can't really pay attention to the story, or take in the environments, because you're just constantly shooting shit all the time. You can't take three steps in this game without having to kill more splicers.

The game has been called linear by many critics, but I don't think it really is. Every environment gives you plenty of paths to explore, and hidden secrets to find, but I think the game just beats you down to the point where you get annoyed, and end up just wanting to get it over with. It never lets up, and while that kind of game design can work, in Bioshock it doesn't. You want to clear an area, explore, listen to some audio logs, restock, and move onto the next one. You simply can't do that in this game. Backtracking for secrets, or going off the beaten path just feels like a nuisance, and the only thing you'll be rewarded with is depleting your ammo and health. The game just starts to feel very unrewarding after a while, and you never feel like you're making any significant progress. The game never feels like it's progressing. It feels like you're going through a bunch of rooms, with the same groups of enemies that never stop nipping at your heels, and then the game is just going to eventually end.

That all said, if you like constant action, and don't care much for the story or atmosphere in games, I could see why this game appeals to some people more then the original or Infinite. It's definitely a gameplay first kind of game, which is fine, but I just don't think it works with Bioshock. There is a good game in there, I just wish it would let you take it in once in a while without hearing the chatter of incoming splicers every two minutes.

6/10

Made me laugh:

ry8ubrpzxn521.jpg

I'm playing through final fantasy XV right now just started a couple days ago and at chapter 5, pretty fun game. Im really digging the combat especially once I got the hang of it and is the most fun part of the game for me. Love the monsters too, they're so unique and cool looking and all kinds of different things like those big giraffe looking things. Lol.

Not a big fan of the story so far or the characters though. I find the main character Noctis so booooring my god, dunno if I'm in the minority with this but I just can't get behind him. Maybe it's just nostalgia but hell I found the supporting characters in FF7 more interesting than Noctis. Supporting characters are alright though and the only thing keeping me from being bored to tears at some points.

I haven't played since launch but the story is basically non-existent/unexplained for a portion of the game or you need to really go out of your way/pay extra attention. Tbh I didn't really understand wtf was going on until the later chapters. The game gets a lot of criticism a lot of it which is fair but I think the story and character development really picks up at the last 3/4 or so of the game. By that point though I think a lot of people already get burnt out or dislike it to the point of not caring anymore. I really liked the game a lot

Pretty much been playing AC Odyssey. 50 hours in, level 39 (helps I have the booster) and on Chapter 7.

Like Origins, love this game.

I think Odyssey is great too. I haven't really played AC games much but really got interested in Origins but never actually played it but I got Odyssey because I love the Greek setting. I am playing a couple games right now so I can't dump all my time into it but when I do play it's really amazing.

BOTW might be a top 5 all time game for me and Im only 30 hours deep. I just fucking love this game. If you havent played it, dont watch reviews or anything just go in. I fucking love the difficulty, puzzles, gameplay loop everything. Sometimes a design philosophy they have for the dungeons is abandoned for the main story missions as you have complete freedom to complete most puzzles but then there is one way to complete the story puzzles but holy shit is it so satisfying. Doesnt handhold, and my goodness does it satisfy my souls itch. No game is truly a 10 but this may be close.

oz5vpvflxnky.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back