What are the main reasons why white belts quit BJJ

Its hard to justify spending 75-200$ a month to get your ass kicked every day for 6mo to several years before your belt changes color, and a few years after that to realize your belt color doesnt matter, just your progress.

Lol when he wrote most blue belts.

Yes, we know that he has some blue belts that train fulltime and live in his basement.

But writing, most of his blue belts?? Lol

Yep mostly young impressionable females

I'm not quitting , but I admit I get really dejected and depressed aoemtimes when 6 months in , I get choked out by a guy who started 2 weeks ago. It's demoralizing and embarrassing even as a white belt. I just skip a day and usually come in motivated again.

I would bet most of team Lloyd Irvin's blue belts would SCHOOL most black belts.

Lol when he wrote most blue belts.

giphy.gif

YIKES, forgot I said that, your responses are appropriate...newish blue belt in 2012 sigh. Yeah...um.....embarrassing lol, I hereby retract it, if it is allowed

I quit BJJ a long time ago. For me, the reason was injuries.

It was constantly getting injured and have some chronic knee/hip problems that I credit to BJJ. I was just getting sick of being in pain and unable to do normal things like hiking or playing with my toddler nephew.

My injuries didn't come from some spazzing meathead white belt either (although I know a few people permanently injured in this way), but just from moving about on my knees a lot in guard or my joints getting put into weird positions under load during scrambles, etc.

At the end of the day, it's a contact sport that has torquing joints at the ultimate goal... Injuries will happen. There are hundreds of enjoyable sports that are less dangerous.

That said, another common reason I reckon is cost. BJJ costs a lot in relation to other martial arts. Here, each session is about 10x the cost of a boxing gym, and at least 2x the cost of Judo.

I am about a year in and I think at this point it becomes clear I shall not be winning any world championships, not now not ever.

This could be disheartening to some.

Holy blast from the past.

Fyi still training but have taken off loads of time study, mma, injuries, marriage, kid.

It's not just white belts but I know of some purples that have moved on also. For those of us with families and by that I mean children it can get really crazy busy... Priorities change...There's one purple belt friend that was a super cool guy and a mat beast. His wife had twin girls and he slowly faded away after that. Life happens

The main reason I am not as consistent as I could be.....Kids. When they started sports(wrestling, bjj, football, baseball)that took priority over my mat time. I don't regret anything. I absolutely love being there for my kids sports. On top of sports my kids have band, and national junior honor society. I also work shift work. My hours can be crazy.

The main reason I am not as consistent as I could be.....Kids. When they started sports(wrestling, bjj, football, baseball)that took priority over my mat time. I don't regret anything. I absolutely love being there for my kids sports. On top of sports my kids have band, and national junior honor society. I also work shift work. My hours can be crazy.

Some assholes would ignore their kids and just train. Then their kids grow up and bring an AR-15 to school....

Back