What are the main reasons why white belts quit BJJ

I think a big reason is the length of time between belts. A lot of people feel like they aren't progressing b/c there is no visual reminder of improvement for several years at a time (i.e. some martial arts have an absurd amount of belts and you get a new one every 1-2 months, then a black in 2 years).

Here's what I think, and please save the berating for somebody else; this is just an opinion. Maybe a lot of people take BJJ as a good, solid form of self-defense. After learning the basics, (guard, half-guard, sweeps, take downs, elbow escapes, some subs from guard and mount, etc.) things start to turn into something that is more tournament oriented. Maybe they don't care anymore, and just want to be able to handle themselves agaisnt uprovoked attacks, but have no need for fancy guards and subs that can only be reasonably pulled off against other grapplers. Again, this is just a thought.

I think a big reason is the length of time between belts. A lot of people feel like they aren't progressing b/c there is no visual reminder of improvement for several years at a time (i.e. some martial arts have an absurd amount of belts and you get a new one every 1-2 months, then a black in 2 years).

Yeah in judo you have white yellow orange green blue purple brown black with 2 degrees at each color above white and tons of degrees of black.

I never really understood why bjj feels the need to just skip yellow, orange, and green to jump straight to blue.

Yeah in judo you have white yellow orange green blue purple brown black with 2 degrees at each color above white and tons of degrees of black.

I never really understood why bjj feels the need to just skip yellow, orange, and green to jump straight to blue.

That would make for less sandbagging and better match ups at tournaments.

I see alot of young guys in this thread who have no clue how little free time you have as a married man with a solid full time career, a wife with a full time career, and very young children.
Back on topic, two main reasons:

1) effort shock. Like sticker shock, but when you realize the effort cost to get something is far more than you are willing to spend.

2) they thought that reverse de la riva was going to bring all the girls to their yard.

I'm glad i dont have this problem.:D For me BJJ everyday is the way to go :icon_chee

Blue to Purple seems to be the worst for this.I've seen alot of guys quit soon after getting their blue.

Since I'd be one of the people included on the list - I didn't quit, I just haven't made it back yet.

Life got in the way... got married, kids came along. The end.

It's hard, time consuming, and kind of expensive, and for some people it gets old or other hobbies become more exciting. Throw in a bad experience or an injury, and it becomes real easy for a lot of people to stop coming.

This is a very common one, and a reason why the knee-jerk "they're lazy!!" is so shitty. Fortunately, family trumps all for a lot of people.

This... lol @ the people saying "if your job/family is getting in the way do part time work and spend less time with your family! you're not dedicated enough because you're lazy!". People are so ignorant and close minded when it comes to people quitting, not everyone is financially well off and want to become ADCC champions. It's a HOBBY for most people.

I have been mulling on this point since the Blue Flu thread. Jag and some others brought up playing guitar. Would anyone begin to learn guitar theory, learn a few chords and scales, then just quit taking lessons, and playing guitar, forever?
Because lets be honest here, you stop going to a gym to train BJJ, it's not like you are going to keep those skills you've developed after a period of time, and how many of these guys are training on their own time?
At least without lessons you can pick up a guitar and strum out an old Neil Young song now and then to keep what small level of proficiency you deemed to be "enough" strong.

So what I'm saying is I don't think that boredom or satisfaction really has much to play into people quitting BJJ, unless they are holding the false belief that they will be able to retain everything they did learn forever.

Yep. Known plenty of people who have done just that (guitars among other instruments). I'm one of them, myself. It just didn't keep my interest. I'm guessing the same is true for most people who quit BJJ in their first year.

copy paste from a post just did on another thread...

I think its extremely important to give the student some weapons, and to encourage them to look for finishes they feel comfortable, why? I do think theres a big drop out from white to blue because its hard to get a constant retribution at that belt, you are getting smashed all the time and when not, you are basically just wrestling around, and while it seems silly to worry that much about it, I feel like submissions are the drug of bjj, if you are not submitting anyone, it takes a lot of dedication to keep going to class every day, you are still going to get smash by upper belts, but its important for the student to have some sort of retribution (IE submit other whites) I feel that submissions at the early stage are not stressed enough by some academies, thats why they have a big drop out, so guys that cant go online and watch a fuck ton of vids, have only what the instructor gives in class, which sometimes is not enough....

I think the drug dealer policy should be apply on schools, give the white belts some moves so they can get a taste of the drug (and by give them I mean drill the fuck out with situational rolling at least 1 attack from the back, from the guard, from side control) , submitting people feels fucking awesome, specially when you are a white belt, if they get high enough a couple of times a week, they will keep on coming back...

I think that's a pretty good point. The submission is the carrot at the end of the stick; people need to be reminded at least occasionally of how damn good it tastes, and that they're capable of reaching it. If all they feel is frustration without getting a taste of success, they''re not likely to want to keep training. If it getting submissions seems out of their reach, they'll probably stop trying.

I get reminded of this constantly (everyone at our gym does), and I think having a culture where higher belts consistently let newbies work and practice what they're drilling is very important in getting people to stay. Nothing makes a white belt want to come to class more than knowing that if he does everything right, he'll probably get to submit a blue or higher belt. I try to give newer people just enough resistance where they have to do the technique correctly, but if they do I give them the pass/tap/TD/whatever. Just because I can stop them doesn't mean it's helpful for either of us if I do.

I agree wholeheartedly. I recently got to roll with a black belt for the first time. He REALLY made a point of letting me work. If I began passing his guard in a "correct" way, he let me pass. If I made a mistake, he would sweep or or attack a submission in a way that made it obvious what I was doing wrong. If I took the right steps to escape a submission, he let me go. When I locked a submission correctly, he tapped, but if I missed a component, he escaped. It was, without a doubt, the most educational roll I've ever had.

Yep. Known plenty of people who have done just that (guitars among other instruments). I'm one of them, myself. It just didn't keep my interest. I'm guessing the same is true for most people who quit BJJ in their first year.

Yes, which was my ill written point. I was arguing against the notion that people quit because they "learned enough." Of the many many reasons out there for quitting something that is one I don't think is very true.
People may tell themselves and others that that is their reason, but it isn't the full truth. It's funny because there is no shame in just saying "I really don't like it" or "I'd rather be doing _________."

Workt, time and family were never much of an issue for those guys to start but it becmes the reason they quit when they lose the cost benneifit annalysis, Some familes jobs and work make new demands that can't or won't be kept up with, So in the end you're either an exception and really can't do it or you in a less restrictive demand an just decided BJJ wasn't for you anymore.

Great question. I've been through lots of martial arts so I'll tell you what irks me.

Egos. If a trainer has an ego and is unwilling to teach openly because he wants to keep his skills to himself or who shows off by going hard on students during training then I'm not interested.

The purple belt instructor my first training at a jujitsu class came to roll with me, I had a loose neck hold on him and he tried to power out then blamed me for using strength and a neck crank when I did neither, then proceeded to use his own strength and go hard on me. He was puffing hard after, I wasn't.

I like to pay as I go as I have other commitments and can't make it to classes always. If I'm not learning in the right environment for me, why stay?

They teach in a linear fashion and I have to buy belts and pay for gradings to learn more. I am creative and learn best practically.

Too formal. Bowing to teachers and never being allowed to talk is old school and I find it can be condescending. I prefer to respect everyone regardless of status and especially if its not enforced.

I have had some great classes. One where the teacher comes over and ocassionally explains one small change to work on. Not being overly critical.
When the teacher enjoys what he's doing. And will answer questions openly.

Here's what I think, and please save the berating for somebody else; this is just an opinion. Maybe a lot of people take BJJ as a good, solid form of self-defense. After learning the basics, (guard, half-guard, sweeps, take downs, elbow escapes, some subs from guard and mount, etc.) things start to turn into something that is more tournament oriented. Maybe they don't care anymore, and just want to be able to handle themselves agaisnt uprovoked attacks, but have no need for fancy guards and subs that can only be reasonably pulled off against other grapplers. Again, this is just a thought.

Good call. High level jujitsu seems suited for analytical critical types who see things as right or wrong. Not that everyone is, as wrestling and football can be physical bullying, I've met a few jujitsu practitioners who like to intellectually bully.

They always complain about the warm ups. They get tapped and it hurts their ego. It's always the same old stuff.

I think there is a magnitude of reasons why people quit at white belt. When I was between 3-5 months in I only went 1-3 times a week and thought about quitting a few times. I was smaller, getting beaten up and sore all the time, didn't feel much improvement,it took a lot of work to get a little gain, etc..

I had a year membership at the gym I was at so I figured I would at least give it the year and do a few competitions. Near the end of the year I started training a lot more and at the start of the 2nd year I was training 3-7 days a week and totally addicted.

I think people mostly quit because they can't take losing all the time/ego, it is to expensive, to time consuming, etc... and one that might bother some people but just like every other sport it is not for everyone. I know a few guys who tried and simply thought it was not enjoyable/fun in the first place.

Last edited:

This is probably quite accurate in a lot of cases

Back