Weightlifting + Hitting the heavy bag.

Im very tempted to go down this route, alltough im worried that im not going to give my body enough rest to recouperate and build muscle.
You'll be fine

Im very tempted to go down this route, alltough im worried that im not going to give my body enough rest to recouperate and build muscle.

You'll be right, mate. @TheeFaulted 's suggestion is about the best advice in this thread.

I'd also suggest getting along to some boxing classes. Hitting the bag is all well and good, but you'll get a much more effective workout when you know what you're doing. Not just how to throw a punch, but how to move, and how to use the movement of the bag properly.

Hey.

I was wondering how to combine weightlifting with hitting the heavy bag, before i hit the weights 3-4 days a week, and it was essential not to train the same muscle group two days in a row, now i wonder where heavy bag sessions would fit in during a training week.

My basic idea was :

Day 1 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 2 : Gym : Shoulders and Back
Day 3 : Rest
Day 4 : Heavy bag
Day 5 : Rest
Day 6 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 7 : Gym : Shoulders and Back

<repeat>

Thats one Bag session a week... Thats way too little...

The only way to solve this and get more bag sessions in to the week is doing Chest, Triceps, Shoulders and Back training in the gym in the same day, but i dont know if that is counter productive or not. And it would take almost two hours to get all those sets in one session... Thats not doable really.

Any ideas?

Why are you doing bodybuilding splits for strength? There is zero reason to do chest and tris or back and biceps if you're training for strength. You should be doing a 2x or 3x a week strength program that includes a squat/press/pull each session. Quit the isolation shit, it's a huge waste of time and energy. You need to train your muscle chains, not individual muscles. So first you should swap to a full body split like Starting Strength, Texas Method, 531, et cetera. Then I would suggest you fit heavy bag stuff in when you have as much rest from your strength training as possible. You want to be recovered so you can produce as much power as you can, and it's not going to really affect your strength training, but strength training right before it will reduce your ability to produce power on the heavy bag.

Why are you doing bodybuilding splits for strength? There is zero reason to do chest and tris or back and biceps if you're training for strength. You should be doing a 2x or 3x a week strength program that includes a squat/press/pull each session. Quit the isolation shit, it's a huge waste of time and energy. You need to train your muscle chains, not individual muscles. So first you should swap to a full body split like Starting Strength, Texas Method, 531, et cetera. Then I would suggest you fit heavy bag stuff in when you have as much rest from your strength training as possible. You want to be recovered so you can produce as much power as you can, and it's not going to really affect your strength training, but strength training right before it will reduce your ability to produce power on the heavy bag.

Agree with most of this except heavy bag before lifting. It will indeed effect the lifting but whatever the priority is it should take precendence. I would just heavy bag rounds on off strength days like a template posted already.

Agree with most of this except heavy bag before lifting. It will indeed effect the lifting but whatever the priority is it should take precendence. I would just heavy bag rounds on off strength days like a template posted already.

Well I don't mean do an hour on the bag then jump on the weights. I would give yourself at least 12 hours.

Back