Weightlifting + Hitting the heavy bag.

Nukem

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey.

I was wondering how to combine weightlifting with hitting the heavy bag, before i hit the weights 3-4 days a week, and it was essential not to train the same muscle group two days in a row, now i wonder where heavy bag sessions would fit in during a training week.

My basic idea was :

Day 1 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 2 : Gym : Shoulders and Back
Day 3 : Rest
Day 4 : Heavy bag
Day 5 : Rest
Day 6 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 7 : Gym : Shoulders and Back

<repeat>

Thats one Bag session a week... Thats way too little...

The only way to solve this and get more bag sessions in to the week is doing Chest, Triceps, Shoulders and Back training in the gym in the same day, but i dont know if that is counter productive or not. And it would take almost two hours to get all those sets in one session... Thats not doable really.

Any ideas?

How do you hit the heavy bag without legs?

What are you hoping to get out of heavy bag training?

Are you just looking for something to do on off days?
Is it just something you like?
Are you looking for power development? Cardio?
Do you fancy yourself a boxer?

Also what are you hoping to get out of your lifting sessions?
Build general strength?
Aesthetic goals?
Build GPP for competing in another sport?

Granted I'm weak and weightlifting is a secondary hpbby for me but I do a full body workout before boxing. Just lift, wait 20-30 minutes and go to the bag.

If a weak fuck like me can do his strength trainigng half an hour before boxing or kickboxing 2 times a week then you can hit the bag for a while after lifting.

What are you hoping to get out of heavy bag training?

General upper body training, cardio, self defence training, stress relief

Are you just looking for something to do on off days?

Not really, if hitting the bag for an hour would be something i could do on my gym off days/rest days then it would be the ultimate thing to do for me, and it would solve my problem schedule wise, But im not sure if that is wise to do, since the body needs to rest or it will start to break down muscles instead.

Is it just something you like?

Like it alot :D

Are you looking for power development? Cardio?

Not looking for power develpment on the bag, Cardio sure.

Do you fancy yourself a boxer?

For sure! :D, and i want to develop proper striking, and proper punching combinations.

Also what are you hoping to get out of your lifting sessions?

Power development and muscle/Aesthetic goals

Build general strength?

Yes.

Aesthetic goals?

Yes.

Build GPP for competing in another sport?

Nope. Just looking for a good setup to keep healthy while having fun, i used to do weightlifting only before, but hitting the bag is so much more fun.

Last edited:
Maybe this is better for what i want to do :

Day 1 : Heavy bag
Day 2 : Rest
Day 3 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 4 : Gym : Shoulders and Back
Day 6 : Heavy bag
Day 7 : Rest

<repeat>

Are you worried about imbalances? It looks like you will be hitting your triceps enough, but the biceps might be lagging. Ever think about throwing in a couple biceps days?

Thanks ASUThermo, yep before biceps landed on my shoulders and back days. If you do alot of back exercises your biceps is going to put in work. and if you add in regular biceps exercises into that then its ok.

Last edited:
So are you wanting to compete in boxing, or just looking for generic "self defense"?

Do you do any actual boxing or martial arts training, or just hitting the heavy bag yourself?

Why are you only doing upper body work? Why no posterior chain work?

So are you wanting to compete in boxing, or just looking for generic "self defense"?

To old to compete, for sure generic self defence, and learning how to hit proper.

Do you do any actual boxing or martial arts training, or just hitting the heavy bag yourself?

At the moment only hitting the bag by myself.

Why are you only doing upper body work? Why no posterior chain work?

Well, old habit i guess, i have a great ass, legs and calfs by heritage, so they dont need the same amount of focus at the moment.

Alright, here's what I'd suggest then:
Day 2 : Strength training Day 1
Day 3 : Heavy bag
Day 4 : Strength training Day 2
Day 5 : Heavy bag
Day 6 : Strength training day 3

Strength training day 1
Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Bent over rows or face pulls 3x8
Curl variation 3x8

Strength Training day 2
Deadlift 3x5
GHR or reverse hypers 3x8
hanging leg raises
pull ups

Strength Training day 3
Squats 3x5
Bench 5x5
Tricep pull downs 3x8
Bent over rows 5x5

For heavy bag, I always suggest 3 min rounds with 1 minute rest. To begin, see how many rounds you can last with decent form. That's how many rounds you do on those days. If you want more cardio work after you're getting sloppy and dropping your hands, skip rope to the same timer.

Hey.

I was wondering how to combine weightlifting with hitting the heavy bag, before i hit the weights 3-4 days a week, and it was essential not to train the same muscle group two days in a row, now i wonder where heavy bag sessions would fit in during a training week.

My basic idea was :

Day 1 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 2 : Gym : Shoulders and Back
Day 3 : Rest
Day 4 : Heavy bag
Day 6 : Gym : Chest and Triceps
Day 7 : Gym : Shoulders and Back

<repeat>

Thats one Bag session a week... Thats way too little...

The only way to solve this and get more bag sessions in to the week is doing Chest, Triceps, Shoulders and Back training in the gym in the same day, but i dont know if that is counter productive or not. And it would take almost two hours to get all those sets in one session... Thats not doable really.

Any ideas?
What happened to your legs?

30 mins of heavy bag after each lifting session

I actually do the Heavy Bag & Weightlifting combo 4-6 days a week; I recommend the TS try the heavy bag once before lifting and once after lifting, just to get a feel and find a preference.

A Personal Trainer at my gym once mentioned Heavy Bag or any Cardio AFTER lifting is best to assure you lift your best without fatigue from the cardio portion of your workout .

-Personally I hit the bag 5 rounds x 5 minutes (1min rest in between) Before I do any lifting, (regardless if it's Leg day or Upper body);
--I do this to make sure I get to use the heavy bag; nothing worse than occupied equipment/heavy bags that you need to use in order to complete your workout.

TS : Add it on Day 2, Day 4 (already), and Day 6, after your weight session.

I would do the bag 2-3 times a week and the 5x5 rounds as stated above is good...we stay away from consecutive days and definite after lifting.....you may find 5 minutes too long at first but do what you can for rounds

Alright, here's what I'd suggest then:
Day 2 : Strength training Day 1
Day 3 : Heavy bag
Day 4 : Strength training Day 2
Day 5 : Heavy bag
Day 6 : Strength training day 3

Im very tempted to go down this route, alltough im worried that im not going to give my body enough rest to recouperate and build muscle.

And I'd say you'll see vastly improved strength on this program over your current one.

Back