Weight divisions aren't necessary to ensure fair fights

If ur stupid enough to die cutting weight for a MMA fight, you were already doomed and ur number was getting called soon anyways

Honestly we are just being held hostage with people holding guns to their own head. Let me cut weight or i might kill myself doing it!

People make this argument that it will lead to people cutting weight and being gassed. This might be true at first but then they will realize that thry perform better by not cutting and will adjust.

No. Why did you stop short of explaining yourself?
I dont need to explain myself. If you honestly dont understand the concept of weight classes and divisions then there's no helping you.

Or just weigh people regularly to make sure they arent cutting too much weight. One fc i think does this.
Any amount is too much.

You havent pointed out any problems with my idea btw

Feel free to educate me. Try not to repeat something that's already been covered in this thread
because they are

i have no explanation, it would just be a complete clusterfuck if there were no weight classes

hah our join dates, messages, and likes are very similar

Or just weigh people regularly to make sure they arent cutting too much weight. One fc i think does this.
This would work

Fuck, when i wrestled in HS we had what we called alpha weigh in, one time at the beginning of the season. Trainer would take ur measurements including body fat %, you would piss so they knew you werent too dehydrated, and then weighed in. We were then told the most amount of weight we were allowed to cut for the first month of the season and the most we were allowed to cut by seasons end

Another petition to throw out an organized and long established system that works for a bro science based "let's just wing it" system. Nah.

Weight cutting is a part of the sport. Nobody cares if ~5% of fans don't like it.

I dont need to explain myself. If you honestly dont understand the concept of weight classes and divisions then there's no helping you.
Do you understand how it looks like you're running?

I now know that you think I dont understand the concept of weight classes, and I gather that's the reason you think i just started watching.

Please tell me what im missing about the concept of weight classes. I want to know.

Im guessing youre a wrestler?

Any amount is too much.

Any amount is not too much. Your idea is exactly why weight classes exist in the first place. Nobody is going to know whats what with your method and just makes it harder to get into the sport as a fan.

Lol If i was a super billionaire, id create a pride fighting rules open weight organization. If you want to say youre the best fighter that would be the place to prove it.

Honestly we are just being held hostage with people holding guns to their own head. Let me cut weight or i might kill myself doing it!

People make this argument that it will lead to people cutting weight and being gassed. This might be true at first but then they will realize that thry perform better by not cutting and will adjust.
Prisoner's dilemma. 90% of fighters cut weight. Weight cutting is bad. Thus, a problem exists

because they are

i have no explanation, it would just be a complete clusterfuck if there were no weight classes

hah our join dates, messages, and likes are very similar
People have to scroll through this shit to read the actual meaningful posts. If you have nothing to say, please dont post. There isnt a polite way to say this.

People have to scroll through this shit to read the actual meaningful posts. If you have nothing to say, please dont post. There isnt a polite way to say this.
you are such a dweeb

Another petition to throw out an organized and long established system that works for a bro science based "let's just wing it" system. Nah.

Weight cutting is a part of the sport. Nobody cares if ~5% of fans don't like it.
You say it works but so does everything to an extent. There's a lot of ways in which it doesnt work. It's an example of prisoner's dilemma. Fighters are removing all the water from their body the very week they have to go through one of the most stressful activities a person can do. All to fight s guy who probably weighs the same as you. What you say works, I call fucking ridiculous.

My idea absolutely isnt just "let's just wing it". Where's the bro science? Im talking theory. What have I even said that you think is untrue? If everyone in the world had your attitude, the world wouldnt progress. We'd still be cavemen.

back in the early UFCs without weight divisions to hide in, Connor would never have been a champion,
because there was only 1 true champion...That is fair.... Open weight will stop this nonsense of having
20 champions....at the same time
Sure, but if that's the case then don't try to have fighters fight people of similar size as the TS suggests. You either have to no kidding do open weight....or have weight classes.

I disagree. Belts would only be created if a situation warrants it. If there are 2 fighters who are viewed as elite, and no nearby champs of a similar size, then a title fight can happen. If no such fighters exist, then there's no need for a title at that point. Give it 6 months, and maybe a contender will emerge. I dont see the problem.
That's way too subjective. In such a scenario the UFC would have made PVZ vs Waterson a title fight since popularity would end up equating to "elite."

Any amount is not too much. Your idea is exactly why weight classes exist in the first place. Nobody is going to know whats what with your method and just makes it harder to get into the sport as a fan.

Lol If i was a super billionaire, id create a pride fighting rules open weight organization. If you want to say youre the best fighter that would be the place to prove it.
Why would my idea lead to the creation or weight classes?

Why would it make it harder for fans to get into the sport? The absence of rankings? You know UFC rankings didnt even exist til s few years ago? They arent that important. Theyre an ancillary tool. And Im not even saying that have to disappear. P4P rankings could still exist. And they could be filtered to only contain fighters of X size.

You say it works but so does everything to an extent. There's a lot of ways in which it doesnt work. It's an example of prisoner's dilemma. Fighters are removing all the water from their body the very week they have to go through one of the most stressful activities a person can do. All to fight s guy who probably weighs the same as you. What you say works, I call fucking ridiculous.

My idea absolutely isnt just "let's just wing it". Where's the bro science? Im talking theory. What have I even said that you think is untrue? If everyone in the world had your attitude, the world wouldnt progress. We'd still be cavemen.

There are problems here you guys never address with these things:

1. Any new system will disrupt all these metrics fans enjoy following, that are used for promotion. Number of title defenses, having a champ at every weight to help promote cards.

2. Any attempt to stop weight cutting will require a system in place to avoid cheating/non compliance. With 500 fighters on the roster, you'll need to employ at least 100 people to follow fighters around to weigh them, and chase them around when they're hiding under cages, and across towns in saunas on weigh in days.

3. That's all very expensive, so you have to sell the organization on how massively reshuffling all their championships, disrupting their marketing, and taking all these new expenses on will help them. Keep in mind the ufc was just purchased by a company that is now in massive debt and looking to cut costs everywhere.

4. Zero upside for the promotion. They give zero fucks if weight cuts are unhealthy for fighters. Appeasing a tiny fraction of the fanbase at great personal cost for zero return on investment.

I dont totally understand what youre saying so it might be worth rephrasing. Im not an advocate for more titles. That isnt what I want and I dont think it's whar my idea would cause.

We dont always know the best guy. Right now in MMA is actually a great example. HW has loads of guys who could make a case. LHW has 3, arguably 4. MW has loads. WW has 3. LW has Conor plus the 2 fighting this weekend. FW has 3 if you count Conor. BW has a trio. I think Andrade is the best SW.

Anyway, like I said, I dont see what you're saying. If 3 champs exist, e.g. Cruz and Cody and Tj, then they fight. That's it. What am I not getting?
I just don't understand how it doesn't create an obscene amount of titles.

Let's say there's A, B, and C. All champs, all close in size. Now let's say A beats B and C. A now has 3 titles. There's no point in him having 3 belts, because then there would just be continuous triple champions. So no the belts previously owned by B and C don't exist. But you can't have fewer belts, because why would anyone of a different size from the champ continue to fight. So now you have to give out new belts. Do B and C get to fight for one of those because they were former champs? If so, what was the point of them fighting A?

That's way too subjective. In such a scenario the UFC would have made PVZ vs Waterson a title fight since popularity would end up equating to "elite."
JJ exists and is active and a similar size, so that'd reduce the chance of that. The idea would be to only create a new title if the situation warrants it.

But what you mention is a problem, I dont deny. But it's one I covered earlier. UFC corruption. Firstly, that exists now. Fighters get undeserved title shots as it stands. Secondly, the good thing about MMA is that if a champ isnt worthy of being champ, their results will reflect that, and theyll lose their title.

Do you understand how it looks like you're running?

I now know that you think I dont understand the concept of weight classes, and I gather that's the reason you think i just started watching.

Please tell me what im missing about the concept of weight classes. I want to know.

Im guessing youre a wrestler?
in your OP you keep talking about this arbitrary "similar size". no 2 bodies are built equally. fat weighs less than muscle for example. by your logic a fight between George Roop and Rashad Evans could take place. Checks and balances exist in sports for a reason. Your logic on this thread is flawed.

beyond that, having divisions creates a structure so people can figure out their placement for the chance at a title.

Back