Weidman Says He’s Knocking Out Rockhold at UFC 230

• Thread starter Deleted member 549255
  • Start date
It's the best gameplan honestly, Weidman's boxing is better than Rockhold's while Rockhold has an advantage in BJJ but Weidman is the better wrestler. It's a very close fight but if he sticks to that gameplan I think he wins by decision or TKO about 60% of the time.

That's true for the most part, but you aren't factoring in Rockhold's kicks. I think Rockhold can actually still beat him in a striking battle if he stays on the outside. It's not like Weidman is very fast with his boxing either, so I don't know how easily he gets inside.

Reasons to hate Clifford;

• Pummelled Munoz over and over despite Munoz being out. Lucky Munoz wasn't killed.

• Two absolute, complete, fluke wins over Anderson.

• Only defended against past-their-prime Belfort & Machida.

• Took "the bitch way out" against Gastelum. Couldn't stand & trade with the smaller man.

• Drapes himself in the American flag for cheap cheers.

Don't forget faking illegal knees in an attempt to get Moose DQ'd, which upon closer inspection were clearly legal.

That's true for the most part, but you aren't factoring in Rockhold's kicks. I think Rockhold can actually still beat him in a striking battle if he stays on the outside. It's not like Weidman is very fast with his boxing either, so I don't know how easily he gets inside.

I am factoring them in, Weidman actually got the better of the kicking game last time before the wheel kick, Rockhold was breathing heavy in round three and was taking multiple body kicks from Weidman. Rockhold was gassing last time and kicks take a lot more energy than punches, Weidman just can't make any stupid mistakes cause Rockhold is great at capitalizing on them. Weidman isn't fast with his boxing but he's more technical and Luke isn't fast either, and Weidman has better timing with his punches especially his left hook.

I don't know why but Weidman's cardio while striking seems signifigantly better than Luke's.

He can win(I think this fight is very close to 50/50) with a more kickboxing oriented gameplan but that's a very cardio intensive gamplan cause he's going to have to move a lot and kick a lot. If his cardio is simiarly to last time I think he would fade and lose a decision or by TKO if he doesn't hurt Weidman in the first 3.

I want to see Whittaker vs Weidman. I think Weidman matches up better with Whittaker than Luke, personally.

Weidman just beat Gastelum decisively in his last bout so I don't feel the need to see a rematch right away.
Agreed. Rockhold has nothing for Bobby IMO, while Weidman could make it interesting.

That's if he gets by Gas man, who I think could easily catch Rockhold, but Weidman proved he can out win on wrestling alone.

I don't see a future for Rockhold at MW. All three in front of him have the boxing to render him unconscious.

Chris also says that he was “pissed off” when he found out that Kelvin got the title shot over him.

View attachment 455981

Cant wait for android fanboys to get flashbacks if The Chris KOs Luke
8hnY.gif

chris-weidman-anderson-silva-knockout-gif.gif

I’ll be upset if he does KO Rockhold. Not a fan of the Chris. He’s got a shot though. Rockhold seems to have trouble taking a punch. Iirc Chris dropped him early in their first fight.
He did, and then he dropped him in the third. Maybe not a drop. But he hit him clean and then Rockhold fell back onto the cage, then down to the ground with Weidman on top of him.

I think if Chris keeps on Luke he will win. If he allows Luke to have the distance he's going to get fatigued because of all the kicks.

Agreed. Rockhold has nothing for Bobby IMO, while Weidman could make it interesting.

That's if he gets by Gas man, who I think could easily catch Rockhold, but Weidman proved he can out win on wrestling alone.

I don't see a future for Rockhold at MW. All three in front of him have the boxing to render him unconscious.
Oh yeah, for sure. I think due to his size difference, he could possibly outwork Gastelum if he could get him to the mat. Not confident he can avoid getting touched on the chin by Whittaker or Romero over 25 minutes.

Chris also says that he was “pissed off” when he found out that Kelvin got the title shot over him.

View attachment 455981

Weidman is invariably a round 1 fighter.
After that he becomes sloppy and slow.
I don't know if he can KO Luke (it is a good possibility), but it gotta be on first round IMO. AFter that, probability is that Luke will end the fight.

Weidman is invariably a round 1 fighter.
After that he becomes sloppy and slow.
I don't know if he can KO Luke (it is a good possibility), but it gotta be on first round IMO. AFter that, probability is that Luke will end the fight.

Based on the last fight this doesn't make sense. Rockhold was sucking wind in round 3 while Weidman was turing up the pace, then for some weird reason decided to throw a wheel kick.

If the cardio of each is similar to last time, Luke is going to be the one fading and needs to do damage early to win.

Based on the last fight this doesn't make sense. Rockhold was sucking wind in round 3 while Weidman was turing up the pace, then for some weird reason decided to throw a wheel kick.

If the cardio of each is similar to last time, Luke is going to be the one fading and needs to do damage early to win.
I disagree.
You pick one fight when Weidman was still unbeaten and more "daring".
Yes, he was the one pushing the pace, but Rockhold was not gassed by any definition.
And I agree that the kick was dumbest thing that turned the fight against him. But let us not pretend he was winning by a vast margin. It was a very close fight.

But after that, Weidman faded against Yoel and Mousasi (it was a lot more blatant on Mousasi fight).
Plus he has been out for over a year now while Luke stayed active.

the main difference is that Weidman is more of a wrestler, and when he can't take people down anymore, he becomes a lot less effective.
Luke is better standing (though his chin is major concern) and better on the ground.

I disagree.
You pick one fight when Weidman was still unbeaten and more "daring".
Yes, he was the one pushing the pace, but Rockhold was not gassed by any definition.
And I agree that the kick was dumbest thing that turned the fight against him. But let us not pretend he was winning by a vast margin. It was a very close fight.

But after that, Weidman faded against Yoel and Mousasi (it was a lot more blatant on Mousasi fight).
Plus he has been out for over a year now while Luke stayed active.

the main difference is that Weidman is more of a wrestler, and when he can't take people down anymore, he becomes a lot less effective.
Luke is better standing (though his chin is major concern) and better on the ground.

Re-watch the fight, Rockhold is breathing hard in round 3 and slows down noticably. Weidman gets tired from grappling, his striking cardio is good and I don't expect him to try and make this a grappling match unlike last time.

I have not and never will pretend that Weidman was way ahead in the first fight, I had him ahead in round 3 before the wheel kick by like 5-6 strikes and Rockhold was fading. Round 1 was Weidman's round IMO and round 2 was a more clear round for Rockhold but still 10-9 so I thought Weidman was on his way to pulling ahead in the fight before he made a huge mistake. I thought the last fight was super close and still think it is.

i really hope luke gets him to the ground and just absolutely mauls him again.

i love rockhold, but it's so hard to trust his chin.

also weidman is one of the most delusional guys in the sport right now, thinks he deserves a titleshot because he beat a WW after getting finished 3 times in a row?

I think Weidman takes it by TKO this time. Luke has a weak chin and Chris hits hard.

Re-watch the fight, Rockhold is breathing hard in round 3 and slows down noticably. Weidman gets tired from grappling, his striking cardio is good and I don't expect him to try and make this a grappling match unlike last time.

I have not and never will pretend that Weidman was way ahead in the first fight, I had him ahead in round 3 before the wheel kick by like 5-6 strikes and Rockhold was fading. Round 1 was Weidman's round IMO and round 2 was a more clear round for Rockhold but still 10-9 so I thought Weidman was on his way to pulling ahead in the fight before he made a huge mistake. I thought the last fight was super close and still think it is.

Don't get me wrong, I had it the same way (Chris with the advantage until the ill-advised spin kick).
But I haven't re-watched that fight since it happened, so I don't recall Luke being that tired.

The difference (to me) is that Weidman was unbeaten at that time, and with that came confidence.
Since that loss, he took a more... conservative approach; a more wrestling-based approach.
And you are right, he tires when he uses more grappling.
But I think he would only be effective with his striking if he can first grapple and threaten with Takedowns.

I think The Chris has CTE if he truly believes he can beat Cuckhold. I may dislike Puke Rockhold with every fiber of my being, but he is the way better fighter of the two.

Don't get me wrong, I had it the same way (Chris with the advantage until the ill-advised spin kick).
But I haven't re-watched that fight since it happened, so I don't recall Luke being that tired.

The difference (to me) is that Weidman was unbeaten at that time, and with that came confidence.
Since that loss, he took a more... conservative approach; a more wrestling-based approach.
And you are right, he tires when he uses more grappling.
But I think he would only be effective with his striking if he can first grapple and threaten with Takedowns.

Yeah, definitly go back and watch it, I specifically remember Luke slowing down a lot in round 3 and the body kicks from Weidman looked to be taking their toll on him. I thought it was going to come down to the last 2 rounds then Weidman has the biggest brainfart of his career and throws away all the momentum and Rockhold does a lot of damage quickly.

I don't think he has to threaten a takedown but mixing in clinches and level changes would be a good idea, I don't think going through with takedowns would be a good idea though, Rockhold's grappling cardio seems much better and Weidman seems to be able to put on a better pace while striking(it's kind of weird, your normally don't see that kind of thing between two grapplers).

Back