Was Lawler wanting to quit between rounds 4 and 5?

He definitely looked concerned but I doubt he wanted to surrender.

i think it would have been okay for his corner to not send him out for the 5th round.

Exactly. Sometimes, in the interest of your own fighter, you should throw in the towel. They should have better judgement than how much hart or browl some of these guys have.

What's with this whole " he didn't quit" obsession? So what? Sometimes you have to know when to quit. Getting choked unconscious in a submission is stupid, just like fighting crippled is stupid.

Who wants to watch a guy who clearly has nothing much to offer hang around, and get toyed with? I don't see how that's interesting at all. It makes for a worse end to a fight because you know he's done, and now all you can do is wait around for the obvious result.

This.

There's nothing noble about a guy caving to peer pressure and his need to maintain a certain image when it was obvious he had nothing to offer in the fight. His corner should have thrown in the towel.

I'm sick of these, "what a warrior threads." More like, what an idiot. It just wasn't a very good fight, and Dos Anjos still doesn't impress me. He leave himself wide open, and he doesn't seem to have consistent fight ending power.

He's abandoned his BJJ, and looks great bopping around, but his overall offense is underwhelming. He leaves his opponents too many opportunities, and he should have finished Lawler who looked to be begging for someone to have mercy on him, and stop the fight.

he just put a jui jitsu clinic on magny, he kept attempting to take down lawler but couldnt keep him down

safe to say he hasnt abandoned it my dude

Yes, I also thought that at one point he looked unsure about continuing.

Way back in the day Pete Spratt broke Robbie by attacking his lead leg like RDA was doing. Robbie was hobbled and literally tapped air and quit.

No, his corner could have stopped it, and saved him from the shame that he would experience quitting, and letting down a bunch of ignorant fans who think its meaningful that he kept fighting.

Lawler needs a better all around game. His striking isn't good enough for him to solely rely on it at this point. I can't believe he's been fighting this long and has never attempted a submission.
He has won by submission. But I know what you're getting at. He takes a one dimensional approach. Kind of... actually, A LOT like a Chuck Liddell.

Forgive me I missed the fight, what happened to Lawlers leg??

RDA kiccked the crap out of his lead leg, and I think he injured his other leg in the third round, as well, which was worse than the kicked one.

Lawer doesn't quit, he fights, he's a legend. Did you start watching MMA recently?

Zzzzzzzz. Look at me, I'm such a HARDCORE FAN schooling this noob in MMA talk.

He's down 4 rounds, his mobility is severely restricted, and his knee/leg wasn't holding up that well. Lawler doesn't strike me as the type of person who gives a crap what people think of him, and if he wanted to quit/not continue/pussy out or whatever people want to call it, he'd probably do it.

I thought it looked like he was saying he was having difficulty and it did cross my mind that they might say he couldn't continue. He wasn't doing a whole lot in the 5th aside from leaning up against the fence.

His leg was done, whatever he said it was about his leg being toast

It's too bad, he jacked up his other leg during the clinch, he had just landed a couple of nice body shots, and then he just fell over

basically, this.

i was kind of pissed that no one stopped it after round 4, be it the doctor, ref, or corner...

Yeah, your corner is supposed to protect you. That is who was responsible here. Neither the Dr, or ref had a good enough reason to call that fight.

There would have been no shame in his corner calling the fight. His leg was clearly gibbled. And, praying for a miracle in the 5th rd, in that situation wasn’t good thinking.

That was much more like BJ Penn at UFC 94. Parillo called it because BJ was getting killed.

Than it was like GSP at UFC 100. GSP clearly injured but, easily winning the fight. And, Jackson telling GSP “ I don’t care. Hit him with your groin “.

Either way. Your corner needs to protect you, and have your best interests at heart.

Robbie’s corner should have called it.

No, his corner could have stopped it, and saved him from the shame that he would experience quitting, and letting down a bunch of ignorant fans who think its meaningful that he kept fighting.

Lawler needs a better all around game. His striking isn't good enough for him to solely rely on it at this point. I can't believe he's been fighting this long and has never attempted a submission.
no way, Robbie striking had always been good. It was his tdd that was lacking. Robbie just got those leg injuries that put him against the fence

Im not accusing or judging him just looking for clarification and others perspectives.

To me I thought I heard him saying im done or something to that effect which is why he didnt take the stool then Hooft had to motivate him your not a quitter etc etc and basically put him back out to go out on his shield?

Did anyone hear anything or think they heard anything similar?
he never wanted to quit. dude clearly has an injury coming in. hooft asks bout it during the rounds. robbie just fought threw it.

What's with this whole " he didn't quit" obsession? So what? Sometimes you have to know when to quit. Getting choked unconscious in a submission is stupid, just like fighting crippled is stupid.

Who wants to watch a guy who clearly has nothing much to offer hang around, and get toyed with? I don't see how that's interesting at all. It makes for a worse end to a fight because you know he's done, and now all you can do is wait around for the obvious result.
This is a great point even though I was hoping for some bomb off the fence to land.
I would have been fine with them stopping it before the 4th. No point going back out if you can’t fight or properly defend yourself.

Back