Was it that hard to circle off the cage?

Yeah, wrestle with Cain.

Sounds like a great plan.

Could say the same thing about Jones, but that worked pretty well for Gus. Not saying he dominated, but he was just as good there.

Fighters need to evolve and expand their aresenal.

terribill and AussieBJJMMA both said it; JDS used the cage for TDD. The cage helps him stay standing. He'd be taken down easier in the middle of the octagon.

He basically chose to be punched against the side of the cage without getting taken down, with little chance of landing the KO punch, instead of giving himself a bigger chance of landing the KO punch at distance, but getting taken down over and over. JDS was always unlikely to win a decision, so I feel he should have gone for the KO at all costs. Even with that gameplan, he only has a puncher's chance. Cain is just the better fighter.

Could say the same thing about Jones, but that worked pretty well for Gus. Not saying he dominated, but he was just as good there.

Fighters need to evolve and expand their aresenal.

My point was that you're not going to go into a fight against a top level grappler and attempt to grapple with them when you're the superior striker. Which is basically what he was saying....

You can say they need to evolve all you want but what does that even mean when a guy has years and years of grappling training over you? Nothing. You can't magically balance out skills when a guy is lightyears ahead of you in that particular skill. When someone DOES do it, it's not exactly something that happens all the time.

Cain is a very, very good striker. I don't believe for a second that JDS is actually better than him.

I was surprised myself. I thought he'd have a better game plan this time around but he was content with his back to the cage and getting dominated in the clinch.

Condit and Gustaffson's more recent fights are definitely the ones he should have been watching.

It did seem like he wanted to emulate Anderson against Bonnar.

Respect should be given to Cain and AKA for spotting this weakness in JDS.

I don't think Cain is all that good a striker but he faints and level changes well and keeps his opponent guessing, something I think Fedor mentioned when predicting the winner of this fight a few days before it happened. He transitions really well. Someone post the video!

i was asking everyone the same question... was he too lazy to circle away or what... he had several chances to circle out and he just stood there. very dissapoint

I think JDS was overwhelmed in the first and just gave up. He hurt Cain, but saw how fast he recovered, and how much BETTER his cardio was then his own, and just kind of gave up.

At first I thought he was pacing himself, but it was apparent that wasn't the case. Cain broke his will. Sucks because JDS is one of my favorite fighters and I'm a little biased with Cain. But whatever Cains a great champ. Junior needs to switch some things up.

I was yelling this at the tv. He reminded me of Anderson in the Bonnar fight.

Anderson won that fight and he trains with JDS. Maybe that explains where his corner got that idea. Maybe JDS wanted to use the cage to keep himself from getting taken down. I thought he owed part of his TDD to his boxing though.

JDS isn't used to having guys walk him down. He's usually the aggressor. I think it's similar to Machida which how he's great at just standing there and countering but when guys walk him down like Shogun and Jones, he doesn't have an answer.

JDS kept getting walked into the cage instead of circling out. He needs to train with Jackson and Condit.

I think he had the worst gameplan ever and just assumed the 2nd fight was a fluke due to overtraining.

JDS must have a shitty training regimen b/c he NEVER goes for takedowns, can`t circle away or off the cage, and has ZERO offensive grappling. It`s like all he trains is boxing and roundhouse kicks and if that fails he is lost.

He would be well served looking at a different camp. Problem is, he's taken so much punishment in these last 2 fights - and has suffered so much trauma to his confidence after the last 2 fights with Cain - that it may not matter now. Cain may have battered JDS out of his prime.

yeah, maybe he should get you to work his corner in future.... you seem like you've got this MMA thing figured out

Damn, you are the definition of an idiot. He brings up a good question, yet all you have to say in response is some pointless drivel.

cain will just follow him and force him into the fence.

Which is what JDS should of wanted so he could of at least attempt to throw some strikes. He looked defeated the moment the fight started though, unfortunately. It's like he had zero mobility in this fight.

I was thinking the same thing during the fight. He kept backing right up to the cage and playing right into Cain's game plan. I don't know if he was just hurt early and didn't realise he was doing it cause he was on auto-pilot, or he just has bad instincts or what.

Hopefully he learns from it and improves because of it. War JDS.

His corner kept telling him to fire when Cain comes in to press. THAT's ALL. It's clear his boxing oriented coaching staff wanted to use JDS as the frontman to showcase how boxing is all so good in MMA and put no effort in mixing things up. JDS clearly has amazing dexterity and core control of his body; and if he tried he could take Cain down in my opinion.

If i was JDS, i would change my camp. He doesn't have the right people behind him and it was clear from the instructions he was getting between rounds.

That didn't look particularly boxing oriented. Boxing looks more like Ali or Larry Holmes backing and circling away throwing jabs when a shorter guy tries to get them against the corner or ropes.

Now I'm not saying its easy to do (either against Cain or against a guy like Joe Frazier who was good at cutting off the ring), but that's the boxing tactic for a taller guy. JDS's corner weren't instructing him to do that, and I don't think he even tried. I can't think of any boxer who just backs into the ring like that - even a slugger like Foreman moved to keep himself from being pinned.

Whatever game plan JDS's team came up with, it wasn't boxing oriented.

I'm honor this thread is on the Popular Thread section.

Thanks Sherdog :)

That didn't look particularly boxing oriented. Boxing looks more like Ali or Larry Holmes backing and circling away throwing jabs when a shorter guy tries to get them against the corner or ropes.

Now I'm not saying its easy to do (either against Cain or against a guy like Joe Frazier who was good at cutting off the ring), but that's the boxing tactic for a taller guy. JDS's corner weren't instructing him to do that, and I don't think he even tried. I can't think of any boxer who just backs into the ring like that - even a slugger like Foreman moved to keep himself from being pinned.

Whatever game plan JDS's team came up with, it wasn't boxing oriented.

This right here. Honestly I felt like Cain had the better boxing he mixed up jabs to set up his wrestling and short punches in close. JDS can only throw punches at long range. He has no mid or short range game.

I blame his training camp. He needed to completely change his tactics.

Cain pretty much does the same thing every time.... you'd think Junior would have drilled counters and defenses to Cain's favorite moves..... but it didn't seem the case. It's like his training camp just made him do a few extra pushups, a extra 30 minutes on the treadmill, and thought that'd be enough.

I think in many aspects Brazilians training camps are falling far behind American ones when it comes to focusing training camps towards their opponents.

When Brazilian fighters train in America, suddenly they become far more tactically aware and much better fighters because of it.

Anyone who doesn't understand why Junior didn't circle hasn't tangled with a high level wrestler before. It's not about size, strength or any of that. Cain knows how to out position his opponents nearly everywhere. They MOVE you around at their will. Re-watch the fight and look how Cain is constantly leaning and digging his head into Junior all the while slipping punches and pinning the arms. This isn't by accident. Everything Cain did was contrived, Junior lacked the skills to counter any of it.

Back