Ward takes over the P4P #1 spot

if you think that list is bad look at lomachenkos

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-still-pound-pound-number-one-says-lomachenko--114880

ward and gonzalez are not even top five.

loma is as bad as those guys that blindly and irrationally hate both manny pacqioua and gennady golovkin

vasyl is so clueless he doesnt even know how blatant this is

I ran into a clip on instagram, where Leo Santa Cruz says that he thinks Canelo is the best P4P fighther right now. Say that Canelo has only one loss, and thats to Mayweather.

Da fuck?

To each his own I guess.

Boys, we have movement! A bowel movement it seems. Here are ESPN's updated P4P rankings.

Pound-for-pound rankings: Gennady Golovkin is the new No. 1

And no, I do not agree with GGG being voted #1, nor do I agree with the order of their current list. I was hoping their list would be better because Fat Dan is only 1/9 voting members on their panel. I'm just reporting their updated rankings that changed today.

Note: Results are through March 23

1. GENNADY GOLOVKIN
rank_up.png
boc_golovkin_rubio2_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 37-0, 33 KOs
DIVISION: Middleweight (unified champion)
LAST FIGHT: W (UD12) Daniel Jacobs, March 18
NEXT FIGHT: TBA

2. ANDRE WARD
rank_up.png
box_a_ward11_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 31-0, 15 KOs
DIVISION: Light heavyweight (unified titleholder)
LAST FIGHT: W (UD12) Sergey Kovalev, Nov. 19, 2016

3. VASYL LOMACHENKO
rank_up.png
r23784_100x100_1-1.jpg

RECORD: 7-1, 5 KOs
DIVISION: Junior lightweight (titlist)
LAST FIGHT: W (TKO7) Nicholas Walters, Nov. 26, 2016
NEXT FIGHT: Jason Sosa, April 8

4. SERGEY KOVALEV
box_u_hopkins-kovalev4_mb_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 30-1-1, 26 KOs
DIVISION: Light heavyweight
LAST FIGHT: L (UD12) Andre Ward, Nov. 19, 2016

5. ROMAN GONZALEZ
rank_down.png
box_a_ro2_cr_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 46-1, 38 KOs
DIVISION: Junior bantamweight
LAST FIGHT: L (MD12) Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, March 18

6. TERENCE CRAWFORD
r19706_100x100_1-1.jpg

RECORD: 29-0, 20 KOs
DIVISION: Junior welterweight (unified champion)
LAST FIGHT: W (TKO8) John Molina Jr., Dec. 10, 2016
NEXT FIGHT: Felix Diaz, May 20

7. CANELO ALVAREZ
rank_up.png
box_e_canelo_kirkland_b2_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 48-1-1, 34 KOs
DIVISION: Junior middleweight (titlist)
LAST FIGHT: W (KO9) Liam Smith, Sept. 17, 2016
NEXT FIGHT: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., May 6

8. MANNY PACQUIAO
rank_down.png
r149961_100x100_1-1.jpg

RECORD: 59-6-2, 38 KOs
DIVISION: Welterweight (titlist)
LAST FIGHT: W (UD12) Jessie Vargas, Nov. 5, 2016

9. KEITH THURMAN
rank_up.png
r96613_100x100_1-1.jpg

RECORD: 28-0, 22 KOs
DIVISION: Welterweight (unified titlist)
LAST FIGHT: W (SD12) Danny Garcia, March 4

10. GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX
rank_down.png
box_e_rigondeaux_kokietgym_b1_110x110.jpg

RECORD: 17-0, 11 KOs
DIVISION: Junior featherweight (titlist)
LAST FIGHT: W (TKO2) James Dickens, July 16, 2016

THE PANEL: Dan Rafael, Teddy Atlas, Joe Cortez, Bernardo Pilatti, Eric Raskin, Nick Parkinson, Claudia Trejos, Carlos Nava and Salvador Rodriguez.

The rankings are based on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving nine points and so on. A tie goes to the fighter with the highest submitted ranking, then the one with the most votes at that ranking.
Code:
How Our Writers Voted
POS. ATLAS TREJOS CORTEZ NAVA PILATTI PARKINSON RAFAEL RASKIN RODRIGUEZ
1 V. Lomachenko R. Gonzalez G. Golovkin S. Kovalev G. Golovkin G. Golovkin G. Golovkin V. Lomachenko G. Golovkin
2 T. Crawford A. Ward C. Alvarez G. Golovkin T. Crawford A. Ward A. Ward G. Golovkin R. Gonzalez
3 K. Thurman T. Crawford R. Gonzalez A. Ward R. Gonzalez V. Lomachenko S. Kovalev S. Kovalev A. Ward
4 A. Ward G. Golovkin M.Pacquiao T. Crawford V. Lomachenko R. Gonzalez V. Lomachenko A. Ward S. Kovalev
5 S. Kovalev G. Rigondeaux V. Lomachenko V. Lomachenko K. Thurman S. Kovalev R. Gonzalez T. Crawford M. Pacquiao
6 G. Rigondeaux S. Kovalev C. Crawford C. Alvarez A. Ward M. Pacquiao M. Pacquiao M. Pacquiao C. Alvarez
7 C. Alvarez C. Alvarez D. Wilder R. Gonzalez S. Kovalev T. Crawford T. Crawford R. Gonzalez V. Lomachenko
8 M. Pacquiao V. Lomachenko A. Ward S. Yamanaka M. Pacquiao C. Alvarez C. Alvarez C. Alvarez K. Thurman
9 E. Spence Jr. N. Inoue S. Kovalev K. Thurman O. Valdez L. Santa Cruz K. Thurman G. Rigondeaux T. Crawford
10 D. Garcia K. Thurman K. Thurman G. Rigondeaux D. Wilder K. Thurman L. Santa Cruz M. Garcia G. Rigondeaux
Others receiving votes: Deontay Wilder, (5), Leo Santa Cruz (3), Shinsuke Yamanaka (3), Oscar Valdez (2), Errol Spence Jr. (2), Mikey Garcia (1), Danny Garcia (1)

oh my god ESPN's list is an abomination

on a side note, my list is something like:

1. Ward
2. Chocolatito
3. Kovalev
4. Lomachenko
5. Crawford
6. Pac
7. Mikey Garcia
8. Canelo
9. Yamanaka
10. GGG (I could see six rounds + the knockdown for GGG, so I won't call it a robbery, even though a lot of people are)
next five (no order): Rigo, Thurman, JFE, LSC, Inoue

Last edited:
weird rankings

kovalev > ward their bout proved that
What is this sport some of you guys follow where you can ignore all the rules and official outcomes and create your own alternate reality and try to pass it off to others as "facts?"

What is this sport some of you guys follow where you can ignore all the rules and official outcomes and create your own alternate reality and try to pass it off to others as "facts?"
>rules and official outcomes

so did u also think OJ was innocent lmfao try using ur brain mate

People who have brains dont think the OJ trial was determined by a boxing ref and 3 judges using a 10 point must unified scoring system.
It was a close fight and scoring is super subjective. The way you score rounds is differnt from some of the judges. However their subjective scores are the only ones that matter. Thats how anything with judging works. Why be in denial about that?

People who have brains dont think the OJ trial was determined by a boxing ref and 3 judges using a 10 point must unified scoring system.
It was a close fight and scoring is super subjective. The way you score rounds is differnt from some of the judges. However their subjective scores are the only ones that matter. Thats how anything with judging works. Why be in denial about that?
https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/autism-quiz.htm

OJ was acquitted, regardless of the fact that I thought he was guilty.

But Ward still won and is now ranked #1 P4P. You seem upset about this. Why are you having a hard time with it?
I see you are trying to divert it into your area of personal expertise. Autism & getting murdered.
ward officially won but everyone knows kovalev proved he was the better boxer
OJ officially was acquitted but everyone knows he did that shit

ward officially won but everyone knows kovalev proved he was the better boxer
OJ officially was acquitted but everyone knows he did that shit

I see precision isn't exactly your thing.

1. Ward
2. Chocolatito
3. Kovalev
4. Lomachenko
5. Crawford
6. Pac
7. Mikey Garcia
8. Canelo
9. Yamanaka
10. GGG (I could see six rounds + the knockdown for GGG, so I won't call it a robbery, even though a lot of people are)

Nice list. It's much more sensible than ESPN's. Other than the majority voting for GGG as the #1 guy that has me scratching my head, I was expecting to see Mikey in their rankings too. He just became a 3 division titleholder and that was a stellar performance showcasing great boxing fundamentals against Zlaticanin with a phenomenal, admittedly scary, KO to cap it off. How does he not make any of these P4P lists? Look at this lol

Others receiving votes: Deontay Wilder, (5), Leo Santa Cruz (3), Shinsuke Yamanaka (3), Oscar Valdez (2), Errol Spence Jr. (2), Mikey Garcia (1), Danny Garcia (1)

So, Wilder got 5 votes and Mikey only 1? Valdez got 2 but only has one title defense as a new single division titleholder against a guy nobody had heard of (Hiroshige Osawa). Crazy.

1. Ward
2. Chocolatito
3. Kovalev
4. Lomachenko
5. Crawford
6. Pac
7. Mikey Garcia
8. Canelo
9. Yamanaka

This is an awful list. You have two guys who taken two years of their prime off in the top 7 and an undefeated guy who has all the belts at his weight class and just beat a talented, much larger fighter at 10.

This is an awful list. You have two guys who taken two years of their prime off in the top 7 and an undefeated guy who has all the belts at his weight class and just beat a talented, much larger fighter at 10.

I'll agree with you that ranking GGG at 10 is too low but Golovkin's best wins are against Lemieux, a big Welterweight in Brook and a big Middleweight in Jacobs (his best win) in a very close fight. Golovkin doesn't hold the WBO world title, Saunders still has it and Canelo is still the lineal champion even if you don't consider him to be. If GGG can get Saunders in the ring with him (been waiting) then he can become the undisputed MW champ. Most don't believe Gonzalez should've lost, but he did, which got Ward the top spot by default. Kovalev was already trailing directly behind Ward after their fight, though the majority thought Kovalev beat him, but officially he lost, so naturally he'll be in the Top 3.

After the Top 3 (Ward, Gonzalez & Kovalev) the others can fit in more loosely with a much higher rate of subjectivity. It depends on what you're ranking and how you weigh it; purely on accomplishments, accomplishments mixed with ability or perceived ability, judging mostly on ability, who has the most upside (still in their prime and rising), how quickly did they accomplish the feats, how consistent have their performances been against top competition, longevity, etc.

Any of the fighters in the Top 5 or fringe Top 5 can essentially be your #1 at this point. Let's take the sting off, please everybody, and label them as 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e, 1f, 1g, 1h, 1i & 1j. Everyone wins. Unless you have a better list? I mainly just look at the Top 5, around there.

Last edited:

awful my ass. Go bitch and make excuses for your favorites somewhere else.

Ward 100% deserves that top spot. He beat Kovalev (close or otherwise), Barrera and several other boxing all stars. Now that Choco lost there's nobody else, literally nobody else, who deserves that #1 spot. To question him being in the top 7 is idiocy, plain and simple. Mikey is a little more debatable, but he just wrecked Dejan, who was my pick for the best LW in the world before Mikey killed him. Like it or not, he clearly still has the skills and the resume to earn that spot. I can't see a whole lot of other guys on that level.

The best I can do for GGG is #8, and I'm a huge fan. GGG just fought Jacobs and barely beat him (quite a few had him losing that fight). His resume is thin for a guy who is supposed to be top five. His best (uncontroversial) wins were Lemieux (a solid titlist but nothing special), Brook (a very good WW, but a WW nonetheless), and Proksa (a Polish hypejob that hasn't taken a notable win since). Don't act like the titles mean shit either: he has never actually won his successive WBA titles in a fight, they've all been promotions, his WBC title was a promotion, and his IBF title was won off of Lemieux, who, like I said was solid, not special. Now he has Jacobs, which is a great win, and I'm willing to promote him to #8 because of it, but his resume is very thin and he looked bad, even if he won. It's hilarious how you shit your pants over Ward beating Kovalev, but GGG beats Jacobs (by an even more controversial decision) and that never gets brought up. You're whining about Ward and Mikey being ahead of GGG but they have better resumes and beat better fighters (or in Mikey's case, roughly equal competition) much more impressively. Frankly, I'm not even sure what separates GGG that much from Yamanaka.

Nice list. It's much more sensible than ESPN's. Other than the majority voting for GGG as the #1 guy that has me scratching my head, I was expecting to see Mikey in their rankings too. He just became a 3 division titleholder and that was a stellar performance showcasing great boxing fundamentals against Zlaticanin with a phenomenal, admittedly scary, KO to cap it off. How does he not make any of these P4P lists? Look at this lol

So, Wilder got 5 votes and Mikey only 1? Valdez got 2 but only has one title defense as a new single division titleholder against a guy nobody had heard of (Hiroshige Osawa). Crazy.
yeah I mean GGG as #1 just boggles my mind. What shocks me most is looking at who got #1 votes and Ward didn't get 1. I mean that's shocking, just shocking. The guy he beat got a vote ahead of him. Loma is probably too high but he's undoubtedly one of the most talented fighters out there and he's consistently targeting and beating very good competition and looking good doing it.

Yeah I saw that votes list. LMAO what a joke, Valdez, Wilder, ESJ and Swift have no place on there. I'm really not sure what they even pay the guys at ESPN for, we could make a better list. Pure shit.

Back