WAR ROOM LOUNGE V11: Now With More

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't referring to you. And I agree that it's way over the line.
While I don’t support murdering people, I’m definitely not opposed to giving someone a good jab to the nose when they cross those lines. I hope this is something to which we can all agree. Cross a line, get out back in your place.

I'd say Hamlet > King Lear > Othello > Macbeth. But Macbeth is really great.
Hamlet is by far my favorite work on Shakespeare. Good call there. Julius Caesar is beautiful as well. Not sure why, but people unfairly sleep on his comedies though.

Hamlet is by far my favorite work on Shakespeare. Good call there. Julius Caesar is beautiful as well. Not sure why, but people unfairly sleep on his comedies though.

Agreed on JC. I think the comedies are just in a different category, really.

Agreed on JC. I think the comedies are just in a different category, really.
It’s just odd to me that when people are discussing the best works of Shakespeare, most immediately rush to his tragedies. It’s uncommon that most bring up The Tempest or the Taming of the Shrew in that conversation, focusing on his tragedies. Just so much good stuff in there.

It’s just odd to me that when people are discussing the best works of Shakespeare, most immediately rush to his tragedies. It’s uncommon that most bring up The Tempest or the Taming of the Shrew in that conversation, focusing on his tragedies. Just so much good stuff in there.

IMO, those two are not nearly on the level of the other stuff mentioned ITT, but they're good, too.

Trying to read a translated version of "The Sagas of Ragnar Lodbrok and his sons" and my brain hurts. Maybe I just got a shite version but ow....

So, if I wanted to learn more about the European side of my family what government agencies are good to Email? Like a country's consulate or the tourism board?

Specifically this would be the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Romania so keep in mind it's countries that, well, aren't as organized/non-conquered as France.

Just lol. I don’t want to murder you, and that’s just a plain weird comment to make. I even said that in my posts that I don’t wish ill upon you. That’s a pretty weird comment to make, and it kind of reflects on you personally that you would think that I would want to harm you in any way. @Cubo de Sangre this is the sort of stuff I’m talking about. The man twists things to try and make people think what he wants them to. The truth is that I don’t care about Jackie boy enough to spend time thinking about him. But I will call out manipulative behavior when I see it, so here I am, calling out a liar when I see one.

As I recall none of that referred to you. But yeah, he likes to put his own twists on things.

So, if I wanted to learn more about the European side of my family what government agencies are good to Email? Like a country's consulate or the tourism board?

Specifically this would be the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Romania so keep in mind it's countries that, well, aren't as organized/non-conquered as France.
If you know more specifically where they lived, archives are a decent first step. You can email them and ask if they know of or have any information on a specific person or on a particular location during a time period (this is probably the better way to start). "I'm looking for documents from _____ city about _____ time. doing genealogical research (definitely phrase it that way) and trying to track down some family ancestry." The more info you can give them the better, like if you have the name of a specific company or line of work they were in. They may refer you to a genealogical resource of some sort, which would be a much more solid jumping off point. Always a bit of a long shot when not dealing with a historical figure, but you'd be surprised where the rabbit whole can lead.

If you know more specifically where they lived, archives are a decent first step. You can email them and ask if they know of or have any information on a specific person or on a particular location during a time period (this is probably the better way to start). "I'm looking for documents from _____ city about _____ time. doing genealogical research (definitely phrase it that way) and trying to track down some family ancestry." The more info you can give them the better, like if you have the name of a specific company or line of work they were in. They may refer you to a genealogical resource of some sort, which would be a much more solid jumping off point. Always a bit of a long shot when not dealing with a historical figure, but you'd be surprised where the rabbit whole can lead.
Yeah, I got some basics from a friend of mine that is Mormon who went into their archives cause the LDS church does that thing where they baptize dead people (which is one of the things that makes me view them as a cult at times) so he has free access to things similar to ancestry so I have the basics of town and time periods when they came over. Just wasn't sure who in the "home countries" to contact.

Thanks

Yeah, I got some basics from a friend of mine that is Mormon who went into their archives cause the LDS church does that thing where they baptize dead people (which is one of the things that makes me view them as a cult at times) so he has free access to things similar to ancestry so I have the basics of town and time periods when they came over. Just wasn't sure who in the "home countries" to contact.

Thanks
Yeah the Mormons are an excellent way to start any process like this. They are excellent record keepers AND finders. If you have the town and time period, you stand a decent shot of finding something. Let me know how it's going and I can help refine your search parameters, etc. This stuff is very much in my wheelhouse.

Yeah the Mormons are an excellent way to start any process like this. They are excellent record keepers AND finders. If you have the town and time period, you stand a decent shot of finding something. Let me know how it's going and I can help refine your search parameters, etc. This stuff is very much in my wheelhouse.
Will do man.

I got the basics of it. The Romanian side is part Gypsy and also part local fighters near where Vlad the Impaler was from (what my buddy found suggested they were the at least the people that worked the forest that the poles came from). The Czech side is the side that is completely different than what I had heard based on what my friend found.

The weird fetishizing of Julius Caesar, a bona fide despot, makes me think Bill Shakespeare (were he a bit more stupid) would hold sympathies for Trump and his pseudo-monarchist gimp followers.

The weird fetishizing of Julius Caesar, a bona fide despot, makes me think Bill Shakespeare (were he a bit more stupid) would hold sympathies for Trump and his pseudo-monarchist gimp followers.
To be fair, from a historical perspective he's fascinating to learn about.

To be fair, from a historical perspective he's fascinating to learn about.

I personally find him the least interesting of that era tbh.

I always identified more with Cassius historically, and thought that the depiction of Cassius and Caesar respectively in Shakespeare's play was pathetically two-dimensional, melodramatic, and not at all compelling.

I personally find him the least interesting of that era tbh.

I always identified more with Cassius historically, and thought that the depiction of Cassius and Caesar respectively in Shakespeare's play was pathetically two-dimensional, melodramatic, and not at all compelling.
Methinks you'd enjoy the way Ubisoft portrayed him in Assassin's Creed Origins.

One of the things about Shakespeare is that he sympathized with everyone, even the bad guys. I don't think there's any way to know how he'd lean today in a general way, but I can't imagine him being taken in by Trump (might have been fascinated with him, though). Allan Bloom and Harry V. Jaffa (no relation) wrote a book on his politics that I don't recall much of.

Methinks you'd enjoy the way Ubisoft portrayed him in Assassin's Creed Origins.

Haha, maybe. I don't play video games other than sports games, but it's cool to me that there are role player games now involving real historical elements.

One of the things about Shakespeare is that he sympathized with everyone, even the bad guys. I don't think there's any way to know how he'd lean today in a general way, but I can't imagine him being taken in by Trump (might have been fascinated with him, though). Allan Bloom and Harry V. Jaffa (no relation) wrote a book on his politics that I don't recall much of.

I understand sympathizing with the "bad guys," certainly. And to sympathize with an iconic personality is one thing, but the utter contempt with which Shakespeare and Dante Alighieri held the senatorial conspirators is just weird and cringey to me. I remember reading an excerpt from the Divine Comedy where Brutus is depicted in the Seventh Circle of Hell and thinking, "seriously? In all of human existence, the worst of all men is a Roman senator who assassinated a tyrannical usurper to preserve his country's republic?" I mean, at that point, guys like Nero, Genghis Khan, Atila the Hun, and King John had all been on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back