War Room Debate League- Who's Gonna Debate The Wall?!

WR%20Debate_zpsblh0rny8.jpg

Soon...

-----------------------------------------------

Debate

Organize

Moderate

Judge

All of the above

----------

Please post how you'd like to participate- hell, you can even run the thing if you want, and/or fuck my sister. Post your own ideas too. But here's an initial idea to help this get off the ground:

----------

-1 v 1 Debates. Semi-formal by default. These aren't flame wars or casual arguments, nor are they super formal debates, unless the participants both want it to be.

- Participants will agree to follow a standard set of rules TBD, or will agree to a specific custom set of rules if they so choose. A moderator will be assigned for each debate, and will have wide discretion to keep the debate on track.

- There may be judges, polls, or other means of determining a winner- this all depends on the level of participation.

- Any political topic is fair game, but there must be a proposition so one side takes the affirmative and the other side takes the opposition.

- Arguments must be made in good faith, and repeated abuse of fallacious arguments may result in a DQ.

---------

This has been a long time coming, imo. Let's fookin' do it!

@ripskater is gong to dominate this

Sorry man, i definety think most right wing and left wing posters are going to bias vote the vast majority of the time.

only maybe 4 guys i can think of who wont.
It's funny when tons of people bring up the same objection. The third-person effect is strong. "I can handle it, but those guys can't." We can all handle it.

I think you guys are exaggerating this by a lot. I suspect I know why right-leaning posters are being so defensive about this, but in any case, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Although I'm amused that you're worried about it. You're smarter than that, give yourself some credit.

Didnt see the ninja edit -- its not about being intelligent, its just recognizing that biases are so strong here that regardless of one's ability to be objective, the bias against specific posters and topics are just so staunch that it will be hard to overcome.

The only way i can see this working is hosting it on a 3rd party website -- without AV's or usernames.

Didnt see the ninja edit -- its not about being intelligent, its just recognizing that biases are so strong here that regardless of one's ability to be objective, the bias against specific posters and topics are just so staunch that it will be hard to overcome.

The only way i can see this working is hosting it on a 3rd party website -- without AV's or usernames.
You're able to evaluate arguments objectively and you post a lot here. I think you'd make a good judge. We're going to need quite a few so the same people aren't getting tasked over and over.

It's funny when tons of people bring up the same objection. The third-person effect is strong. "I can handle it, but those guys can't." We can all handle it.

I couldnt handle judging duty -- i never said i could; nor am i putting myself to a higher level. I said the bias is so strong all the way around that i cant think of more than a small handfull that could be objective. I think you're a really smart guy, i dont see you being objective if you knew both posters beforehand.

It would have to be blind judging -- based only on content.

There are a few posters here who i am automatically against because 99% of their time is spent shit posting or parroting smarter people who already posted.

A winner can be decided on fairly certain terms. Not an issue at all. A good moderator and some guidelines will go a long way.

I think we will need to just say hell with worrying about bias and let er rip. I mean, lets try to get a decent bipartisan judge base going but we could squabble about it until kingdom come.

Sorry man, i definitely think most right wing and left wing posters are going to bias vote the vast majority of the time.

only maybe 4 guys i can think of who wont.

This is obviously the biggest problem, but it would make some difference knowing others are reading and at least trying to moderate. A lot of people are in the habit of resorting to fallacies instead of conceding a point within the framework of the debate. This may help with that.

Curious to hear who you think is able to be objective. I'm struggling to think of anyone. I think @Peteyandjia has shown a lot of objectivity lately. Also @Zankou.

This is obviously the biggest problem, but it would make some difference knowing others are reading and at least trying to moderate. A lot of people are in the habit of resorting to fallacies instead of conceding a point within the framework of the debate. This may help with that.

Curious to hear who you think is able to be objective. I'm struggling to think of anyone. I think @Peteyandjia has shown a lot of objectivity lately. Also @Zankou.
Petey will vote for whoever is most wishy-washy and Zank will vote for whoever is the most nihilistic.

I'd be happy if either dude pitched in though.

A winner can be decided on fairly certain terms. Not an issue at all. A good moderator and some guidelines will go a long way.

No pre pm-ing the questions to candidates before the debate.

Looking at you, Libs..

Petey will vote for whoever is most wishy-washy and Zank will vote for whoever is the most nihilistic.

I'd be happy if either dude pitched in though.

@Zankou is a nihilist? Haha

'Ya, vee belief in nosing Lebowski, vee'l cutoff your Johnson Lebowski'

You're able to evaluate arguments objectively and you post a lot here. I think you'd make a good judge. We're going to need quite a few so the same people aren't getting tasked over and over.

I just think the ins and outs of the WR are too well known among our more frequent posters -- so its not about being intelligent -- its about finding truly impartial people. This is place gets pretty vicious with personal attacks and die hards with some topics that others automatically will attach a bias to.

I think you and Jack and and several other left leaning guys are super smart people -- i cant see too many known right wingers who will be objective. And, if someone like evilwas, Rip, etc were to make a solid argument -- i think a lot of left wingers would be too blown away or in disbelief to give them the nod.

Great idea if we all did not know each other so well -- and didnt spend the last year throwing A LOT of hate.

Either we somehow make the combatants unknown to the judges - OR, judges have to submit a list of people they dislike so much, they cant in good conscious judge a debate when that person is up.

I think we will need to just say hell with worrying about bias and let er rip. I mean, lets try to get a decent bipartisan judge base going but we could squabble about it until kingdom come.

thats what we do now lol

Way I figure it, what have we got to lose? Let's try and make it the best we can. Ends up sucking, oh well.

Well, yeah - we could just go in and see what happens -- but we see threads derailed all the time, i can see this following suit.

Also, props to Fawlty for trying to get structure in place to make it run smooth and on rails. I think if we can get past the biases, it is a great idea.

Otherwise, its just like the threads we have now -- just focused on two people -- but eventually other people will just come in and be perfunctory and or, flat out shit post.

But, if we cant get structure, then yeah, lets just dive in and see.

Well, yeah - we could just go in and see what happens -- but we see threads derailed all the time, i can see this following suit.

Also, props to Fawlty for trying to get structure in place to make it run smooth and on rails. I think if we can get past the biases, it is a great idea.

Otherwise, its just like the threads we have now -- just focused on two people -- but eventually other people will just come in and be perfunctory and or, flat out shit post.

But, if we cant get structure, then yeah, lets just dive in and see.
I think our best bet to mitigate bias is to find people that understand a debate isn't about right or wrong. What we need to do is look at who is simply the better arguer, which has nothing to do with the position they are arguing. Part of the fun of this will be see people that think they are great "debaters' fall apart under an organized structure and the summary shaming and mockery we can direct at them. So long as the judges are cool, the thing can be various shades of mess imo. We'll naturally get a mix of good and bad debates, I think, and there's value in both.

I just think the ins and outs of the WR are too well known among our more frequent posters -- so its not about being intelligent -- its about finding truly impartial people. This is place gets pretty vicious with personal attacks and die hards with some topics that others automatically will attach a bias to.

I think you and Jack and and several other left leaning guys are super smart people -- i cant see too many known right wingers who will be objective. And, if someone like evilwas, Rip, etc were to make a solid argument -- i think a lot of left wingers would be too blown away or in disbelief to give them the nod.

Great idea if we all did not know each other so well -- and didnt spend the last year throwing A LOT of hate.

Either we somehow make the combatants unknown to the judges - OR, judges have to submit a list of people they dislike so much, they cant in good conscious judge a debate when that person is up.
It really doesn't matter. As far as judging goes. Plenty of people say I lose every day. I don't care. That's how we should all be and just have fun with it.

You win some, you lose some, and life goes on.

Back