Wake up calls you've received in life

My "friend" getting thirty and going after my then girlfriend. This was back in college.

pics of hole or it didn't happen

What does "getting thirty" mean.

I was staying at a hotel and I had them call my room at 7:00 am to wake me up.

Sounds like this really put your life in persepective.

It wasn't sudden but my friends disassociating themselves from me just because I wasn't heading in the most successful direction really hurt. I'm doing better than all of them today, I just needed a little time to get things sorted.

Was this just you being a lazy pothead kind of thing? Sometimes the worst wake up calls aren't due to sudden outside forces but just having to live with yourself, having the same bad habits day after day. Not saying that's the case for you.

I've had a few. I recover and then relapse. I try. The big ones include:

-Taking a girl to my mom's house and sleeping with her in the guest room. I was so drunk I didn't even realize I didn't go to my OWN house. My mom loved waking up at 230 to that

-Starting a bonfire in my yard and then almost getting into it with the sheriff's deputy and volunteer firefighters who came to put it out (I live in a rural area, but it's not THAT rural)

-Choking on my own vomit while in bed

-And the last one, the one that's stuck, is being told my liver is starting to show damage. THAT was the final wake up call.

17ac484aa3f8cd965dcae16bb7930a8bd0fceefdad8cea8dec35086fe3dd467d.jpg

Was this just you being a lazy pothead kind of thing? Sometimes the worst wake up calls aren't due to sudden outside forces but just having to live with yourself, having the same bad habits day after day. Not saying that's the case for you.

I assume he meant "thirsty".

It was a real wake up call. Literally.

Typo, I meant thirsty

Just trying to think of a safe story to post here is a challenge, and makes me realize by travelling memory lane, that I am just lucky I am not dead. 90 lives.

Apparently I have learned nothing lol.

On a more serious note, I feel that due to our profound ignorance as humans that we will always be asleep to something until the day we are asleep to it all.

Just trying to think of a safe story to post here is a challenge, and makes me realize by travelling memory lane, that I am just lucky I am not dead. 90 lives.

Apparently I have learned nothing lol.

On a more serious note, I feel that due to our profound ignorance as humans that we will always be asleep to something until the day we are asleep to it all.

Well i'd say self awareness is at least a step in the right direction. I was aware of all my bad habits and knew I needed to change them as I didn't like how they made me as a person. It wasn't even something big like a drug problem, just being constantly late/absent and trying to get away with shit as mentioned in OP. Then lying to people about why I was late or didn't show up (although drugs were to blame for a few of these instances but mostly just apathy).

They're called habits for a reason I guess.

Last edited:
Staph infection i got in December. I am still not healed and it has totally woken me up to the need to start taking care of myself better.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Over the year or two while that was happening I didn't change much and really only made a single positive choice for the next few years after that which was focusing on study.

I really think the nail in my social coffin was getting really fat; especially because I had stayed in really good shape in my late teens and early twenties.

used to think that cute girls won't have crabs.

turns out cute girls can and do have crabs.

at least two of them anyway. :oops:

Having six alcohol withdrawal seizures. That was somewhat of a wakeup call.

I remember I switched calculus classes in university because my buddies were in the other one. The previous course I'd done OK but after switching, the prof was terrible and all we did was fuck around, skip classes and copy assignments.

After I failed that class and had to take it again I learned my expensive lesson. Not much of a wakeup call, but that's all I got.

I signed a girl's yearbook 'see you in Jenny Craig' as a joke and found out from her friend a couple years later that she became anorexic. Taught me I can cure fatties.

Getting my apartment raided by dea, local and state cops. Was the single only day since I lived there that I didn't have at least a qp to a pound of weed. I had nothing actually. ..smoked the last bowl minutes before they showed up. Still arrested me for paraphernalia and stuff and held me for hours. ..I walked home, dead of winter, in a tshirt to a trashed apartment. That was it for me. ..moved home and dropped a lot of people.

Getting my apartment raided by dea, local and state cops. Was the single only day since I lived there that I didn't have at least a qp to a pound of weed. I had nothing actually. ..smoked the last bowl minutes before they showed up. Still arrested me for paraphernalia and stuff and held me for hours. ..I walked home, dead of winter, in a tshirt to a trashed apartment. That was it for me. ..moved home and dropped a lot of people.

And now it's basically legal. Lol.

Back