Wait - did Santos land the punch that counted on a bad break?

Anders looks completely in possession of his faculties after the mouthpiece is out and he's pushing Santos against the fence. Goddard does some half ass should I stop this, well, I'll sort of stop this, okay, putting my hands on a fighter, oh shit, I just let a knee from hell hit that fighter in the chin - pretty sure it did matter. Goddard fucked that up inexcusably. He should be suspended. Disgraceful.
Oh, I thought the knee landed to the body. I must have missed that

My fav knockout of all time is Browne - Barnett

They should legalise shots to the back of the head so that boring wrestlers like Colby can't wall and stall

except wrestlers would then take people down, back mount them and beat their skulls in.

You're some kind of fan of Santos? LOL, that guy will get lumped. He's a likable sort, but no gas tank and pretty chilly. You enjoy being on that train, though.

Santos is skilled but each time he's stepped up in class he got his shit pushed in badly. Mousasi totally murked him two years ago and just two fights ago Branch KO'd him too. It's not like he's young either. He's 34. Maybe the move to LHW will help him but he'll need to fight some actual LHW's to see. Manuwa having to pull out of this one just a week before the fight was unfortunate.

Oh, I thought the knee landed to the body. I must have missed that

Actually, just watched in slo mo, Goddard obscures it - it may have landed to the body. Wherever it landed, it essentially ended the fight. And idiot Goddard has his hands on him as Santos is landing it. It's just so bad. It was a nice punch to knock the mouthpiece out initially, btw. Just watched that in slo-mo. But I don't think it's decided until Goddard's intervention.

You're some kind of fan of Santos? LOL, that guy will get lumped. He's a likable sort, but no gas tank and pretty chilly. You enjoy being on that train, though.
Are you defective? What made you think I'm some sort of Santos hardcore? He's a VERY limited fighter, just not as limited as Anders. I mean, he got tapped by Eric Spicely FFS. How in the fuck did you read anything more into what I said than what I said?

Difference is thats not intentional, repeatedly smashing the back of someones skull with the point of your elbow is a tad more malicious
this never happened

It was really hard to see in real time. I don't think the break and consequent placing Anders head in a position to get smashed helped him.

I definitely thought Goddard was a fucking goof for handling it that way but I need to rewatch. I don't remember if Anders was badly hurt or gaining position back before that.

Are you defective? What made you think I'm some sort of Santos hardcore? He's a VERY limited fighter, just not as limited as Anders. I mean, he got tapped by Eric Spicely FFS. How in the fuck did you read anything more into what I said than what I said?

LOL, I don't care who you are or what you are saying about anything

Go play elsewhere, lmao

It was really hard to see in real time. I don't think the break and consequent placing Anders head in a position to get smashed helped him.

I definitely thought Goddard was a fucking goof for handling it that way but I need to rewatch. I don't remember if Anders was badly hurt or gaining position back before that.

I think the biggest thing we can probably all agree on is that Goddard made an unbelievable mess of things. And it was so unnecessary. The punch that knocked the mouthpiece out was a good one, so who knows how together he still was as he was pressing Santos into the fence, but man, when that knee on the break landed, anything Anders had left was gone. Bad reffing is scary. People are trying to hurt each other in there. Can't have such incompetence.

You can technically die from a simple punch to the face. Pride had stomps and soccer kicks, and not a single death.

a single punch can change how someones brain functions for the rest of their life. a single punch can throw off someones endocrine system warping their personality and behavior and its not always obvious to the person or people around them and can send some down a path that ruins their life entirely .

properly conditioned and medically cleared athletes are much less likely to immediately end up with issues or if issues do come up they are workable until later on. but its important to note there are 1000's of mma fighters who enter the pro an amateur scene get kocked out and are never the same and their career is over. this happens even in light gym sparring. not everyone is designed to take a hit.
should only the top tier organization allow for higher risk shots like soccer kicks and head stomps? should a line be drawn? and where do you draw that? how do you measure what should be legal vs illegal? i honestly think fighting should be done without cloths and without rules and sexual moves are allowed like anal fish hooking and dick grabbing like how they do in amateur wrestling.

Refs get too much crap its a hard job and you have to decide in split seconds, after that people dissect, replay the vid from different angles, the ref doesnt have that luxury so give them a break.

Refs get too much crap its a hard job and you have to decide in split seconds, after that people dissect, replay the vid from different angles, the ref doesnt have that luxury so give them a break.

No. Being decisive and effective in how you break two fighters to adjust something that you believe requires adjustment (putting in the mouthpiece) is well within the control of any marginally competent referee. There is no excuse for Goddard's ridiculous performance.

I wanted Anders to win and I commend him for his performance, but I don't recall seeing shots to the back of the head.

Those elbows have to hurt really bad. Can you imagine a professional badass fighter hitting you over and over with the point of his elbow right on the ear? Yeah, I'd be tapping out to strikes as fast as possible.

Reminds me of Chiesa - Lee in a way. Messy refereeing but it probably wouldn't have ended any other way regardless

It should be rule a no contest, Conor is right about marc being know it all idiot

No. Being decisive and effective in how you break two fighters to adjust something that you believe requires adjustment (putting in the mouthpiece) is well within the control of any marginally competent referee. There is no excuse for Goddard's ridiculous performance.
Yeah there is, he is human and makes mistakes.

Yeah I love seeing guys that think they're koala bears get elbowed into oblivion. It's a fight not a hugging contest.

A fight also consists grappling and wrestling. Why do you even watch MMA if you are not fond on mixed martial arts? Why not just watch kickboxing or boxing?

Back