voter ID laws are being used for voter suppression

what normal, functional member of society doesn't have a Driver's License or State ID?

even if you're poor/worthless and collect from the safety net, how exactly are you proving identification for those benefits? Where do you live? How did get onto a lease/mortgage? clearly you aren't employed b/c no job legally hires people w/o those forms of identification.....

so outside of like rednecks in Appalachia that collect ginseng for a living, who exactly is this incompetent?

If you're not a functioning citizen, that's your fault.....

Ask a progressive. They speak for minorities and those too dim to figure it out.

It's too bad the left doesn't feel the same way about other rights. They'll cry about ID for voting but don't care about requiring ID to buy a gun. Or paying a tax to buy certain types of guns or accessories (suppressors, etc.).

Blacks voted in higher numbers than whites even in places with voter ID laws in 2008/2012.

It seems the only ones getting suppressed are the dead and non-existent.

Your conclusion doesn't follow your premise.

County ID is not universal.

The voting laws in question often change the requirements such that some of the forms of ID accepted for those other activities no longer work for voting. A few years ago, I had valid ID that let me on planes and let me buy booze, but would not have let me vote in several states. I had other ID that allowed me to vote anyways, but it's very plausible that this might not be the case for a % of the population.

Voting has generally required some form of ID. "Suppression" is from changing what IDs are accepted just before an election, and then making it harder for certain groups to get those IDs. (For example, invalidating IDs primarily used by certain groups, and then,in the counties that vote in a certain direction, closing the offices that would issue the valid IDs.).
Every article I see on this topic never provides any examples of actual people that were either turned away at the polls or that want to vote but just can not get their hands on an ID.

Just once I want to see some examples of real people that are unable to vote because of these ID laws, it would also be nice if it was explained what in particular prevented them from getting an ID? It's been pointed out that ID's are required to receive social services, drive, have a bank account, drink, gamble etc. Who and where are these off the radar voters?

Politicians are scumbags who'll do shady shit to win. Glad I'm not one of these losers who can't figure out how to maintain a proper ID in a country that so very often requires it for various things.
Yes, the elderly, enfeebled, and the mentally retarded are "losers". Great point.

I agree with all of the voter ID laws, but I'd take it even one step further.

If you're on welfare, you must pass a drug test to vote.

You don't deserve the right to vote if you live off of tax payers & do drugs

I would agree with you if any executive who's business received government handouts/bailouts/subsidies also had to pass drug tests.

The OP has quotes from politicians saying that they want to use it for voter suppression. How is this even an argument?

Yes, the elderly, enfeebled, and the mentally retarded are "losers". Great point.

In this context they are. But you're probably the kinda guy who's used to having things dumbed-down to meet his needs so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :D

it's not 'personal responsibility' it's literal basic human functioning as an adult in modern society

You can't have a job, car, home, utilities, government services, healthcare, cell phone, smoke/drink/gamble etc.....virtually nothing w/o the normal Driver's License or State ID......

it then follows than anybody that isn't literally Retarded should be able to do these things. If not.....why are you even voting in the first place? you clearly have much more serious issues that need addressing like how to function properly as a basic human being in 2017

If you can't manage to obtain a photo ID, I personally don't feel your input to the direction of the country is helpful or welcome.

I

it's not 'personal responsibility' it's literal basic human functioning as an adult in modern society

You can't have a job, car, home, utilities, government services, healthcare, cell phone, smoke/drink/gamble etc.....virtually nothing w/o the normal Driver's License or State ID......

it then follows than anybody that isn't literally Retarded should be able to do these things. If not.....why are you even voting in the first place? you clearly have much more serious issues that need addressing like how to function properly as a basic human being in 2017
This just in, old people are literally retarded.

You guys get so worked up over this and it' another nothing burger. A student ID isn't a legal for of ID because you don't need citizenship to get one. So accepting one would defeat the whole purpose of making the voter ID laws in the first place.

Then why do many states accept student ID cards? The states that don't are also the ones that have instituted other voter-suppression strategies.

In this thread, many people learn about the poor and the elderly, but still refuse to believe they exist.

If you're too stupid to figure out how to vote, you shouldn't be voting.

This just in, old people are literally retarded.
how they do get healthcare and Medicaid plan B cards?

SS?

where do they live? assisted living home?

how do they do banking/cash pensions, etc.....

that's right, a required ID....

Let me fix voter ID laws....

Government-issued photo ID paid for by the government.

That was easy

Back