Volkov's Guard

I guess Volkov is the one with a ground game, so I just would like to add this here:

Alistair Overeem
43 MMA wins, 19 by submission

In Submission Grappling
- 2005 ADCC European Trials -98.9 kg Winner (might not be a high profile tournament, but I would consider him to have a decent ground game at least)
Volkov has no ground game that I know of. Yeah, he did a decent job of not getting subbed, but Fabricio took him down for fun and when they got there it was only Fabricio's errors that allowed him back up.

You're probably one of the most stupid users in sherdog, but i'm legit curious, who has no grappling of these 3? Browne and.. ? If you tell me that Overeem has no grappling i seriously suggest you to never watch this again, you don't know shit you moron
Overeem has grappling, Volkov in my opinion doesn't have much grappling. Sure, he kept him in his guard, but to me that is more a slight against Werdum.

Volkov has no ground game that I know of. Yeah, he did a decent job of not getting subbed, but Fabricio took him down for fun and when they got there it was only Fabricio's errors that allowed him back up.

I can't tell if you are being serious. How is keeping Werdum from passing your guard having no ground game. Do you know how hard it is to neutralize Werdum while he's on top of you.

I can't tell if you are being serious. How is keeping Werdum from passing your guard having no ground game. Do you know how hard it is to neutralize Werdum while he's on top of you.
Perhaps back in the day, but when was the last time Fabricio passed someone's guard and did work?

I'm just telling people what they don't want to hear. Fabricio was incredible, but he is 40, he's no longer in top shape and his best facet is no longer as dangerous as it once was.

Kongo has out-wrestled his fair share of guys, despite having no wrestling background.

He's also been outgrappled by anyone with a half-decent wrestling. A much smaller King Mo did this recently. Heath Herring did years ago. The point is that if Kongo and Tony Johnson can beat you via wrestling, you'll be in serious trouble against Stipe, Cormier, etc.

Perhaps back in the day, but when was the last time Fabricio passed someone's guard and did work?

I'm just telling people what they don't want to hear. Fabricio was incredible, but he is 40, he's no longer in top shape and his best facet is no longer as dangerous as it once was.

Yep. For what it's worth, Travis Browne (not exactly Mr. BJJ) has gone 8 rounds with Werdum, including some time on the ground, and has never been finished. Granted, Volkov did better and is more technical, but even the likes of Hunt and Browne have avoided Werdum's submissions in recent years.

Yep. For what it's worth, Travis Browne (not exactly Mr. BJJ) has gone 8 rounds with Werdum, including some time on the ground, and has never been finished. Granted, Volkov did better and is more technical, but even the likes of Hunt and Browne have avoided Werdum's submissions in recent years.
Thank god someone is listening.

I think we found out how much better P4P BJJ Maia has than Werdum, tho Werdum would likely win in a match. You would never see Maia squander positions and positional dominance like that.
Oh I don’t know. Jacare and Maia both have had some difficulty lately too. It could just be that for all three guys - all undoubtedly some of the best bjj players in mma ever - dominating guys with bjj was easier at 30 than at 40.

I think we found out how much better P4P BJJ Maia has than Werdum, tho Werdum would likely win in a match. You would never see Maia squander positions and positional dominance like that.
Werdum lost to Jacare in BJJ, Jacare is a MONSTER on the mat!Jacare fought with Maia at least 2 times and it was 1-1

That doesn't mean anything, it's not like Werdum spent much time with Browne and Hunt on the mat, he fought them on the feet and still won, beat the shit of Browne for 5 rounds at the 1st fight, KO'd Hunt.. Werdum is well rounded and doesn't need to fight like Maia, that's why he doesn't get as many subs
Overeem has grappling, Volkov in my opinion doesn't have much grappling. Sure, he kept him in his guard, but to me that is more a slight against Werdum.
Volkov has no grappling? You're a UFC-only fan, it seems, right? Watch Smoldarev, a top 10 prospect, against Volkov. He would've been mauled and wouldn't have won if he had no ground game.

Back