Volkov's Guard

His ground game is very good from a defensive perspective. From what I understand he is a purple belt at Alliance and has a great BJJ camp in Russia at Strela BJJ.

His long legs help him a lot and you could see even Werdum was surprised at how hard it was to pass his guard. Even when Werdum passed his guard, Volkov did a really good job of recovering his guard and I think that got Werdum way more tired than he ever expected to be.

Even when Werdum was trying to play the half guard sweep and roll under game Volkov did a good job of flowing with it and ending up on top. Id say hes a good purple belt with a great frame for grappling and good mix of youth, hunger and athleticism to fight for every inch.

Overall I was impressed.

strategy was to keep guard closed and just survive -- wasn't impressed

only reason he won cuz Werdum gassed himself out
And survive? The guy was able to force a stand up after he got put in his back. Imo he has legit defensive grappling.

His ground game is very good from a defensive perspective. From what I understand he is a purple belt at Alliance and has a great BJJ camp in Russia at Strela BJJ.

His long legs help him a lot and you could see even Werdum was surprised at how hard it was to pass his guard. Even when Werdum passed his guard, Volkov did a really good job of recovering his guard and I think that got Werdum way more tired than he ever expected to be.

Even when Werdum was trying to play the half guard sweep and roll under game Volkov did a good job of flowing with it and ending up on top. Id say hes a good purple belt with a great frame for grappling and good mix of youth, hunger and athleticism to fight for every inch.

Overall I was impressed.

As a completely mediocre purple belt, I agree.

I think we found out how much better P4P BJJ Maia has than Werdum, tho Werdum would likely win in a match. You would never see Maia squander positions and positional dominance like that.
Maia has lost back control trying to transition to failed armbars multiple times.

Werdum's conditioning has been declining due to his age. Technically, his BJJ is still great, but it's hard to pull off submissions when he is gassed.

Werdum has lost it.

I've seen him on the ground with Browne, Overeem and Volkov, not one submission.

2 of those guys have essentially no grappling to speak of. Fabricio is supposed to have the best BJJ in MMA history.
You're probably one of the most stupid users in sherdog, but i'm legit curious, who has no grappling of these 3? Browne and.. ? If you tell me that Overeem has no grappling i seriously suggest you to never watch this again, you don't know shit you moron

Werdum is more dangerous off his back as the case with most bjj guys, but volkov was hesitant to get on top .He looked solid though on his back nullified a lot of what werdum was trying.

strategy was to keep guard closed and just survive -- wasn't impressed

only reason he won cuz Werdum gassed himself out
That’s part of the fight tho. If you’re not in shape you won’t win. Cardio is a part of fighting. It does not confiscate the integrity of a win because an opponent gassed. That’s a lame excuse.

You're probably one of the most stupid users in sherdog, but i'm legit curious, who has no grappling of these 3? Browne and.. ? If you tell me that Overeem has no grappling i seriously suggest you to never watch this again, you don't know shit you moron
Lol I was thinking the same thing. This guy doesn’t seem to know Overeem has 19 submission wins. But whatever let him say what he wants I guess

Lol I was thinking the same thing. This guy doesn’t seem to know Overeem has 19 submission wins. But whatever let him say what he wants I guess
Yeah man, not only that but Overeem has maybe the best standing guillotine of the sport, but these imbeciles think he's just a kickboxer with no ground game since he won a K1 GP, oh my god so many fucking stupid casuals..

I was very confused on why Werdum's only attempt at breaking the guard was can opener on such a long guy. Only thing I can think is he was trying to bait an armbar, but Volkov didn't take the bait. Werdum's deep half sweeps were nice though, but again Volkov looked ready for them

Considering that he had on top the best BJJ of the HW division, he did quite well.

Werdum has lost it.

I've seen him on the ground with Browne, Overeem and Volkov, not one submission.

2 of those guys have essentially no grappling to speak of. Fabricio is supposed to have the best BJJ in MMA history.

I guess Volkov is the one with a ground game, so I just would like to add this here:

Alistair Overeem
43 MMA wins, 19 by submission

In Submission Grappling
- 2005 ADCC European Trials -98.9 kg Winner (might not be a high profile tournament, but I would consider him to have a decent ground game at least)

I wasn't VERY impressed by Volkov's ground game. Surprised more people aren't talking about it tbh

Legit... The guy didn't get finished by someone with A-Level BJJ... Will be interesting against Miocic or Cormier.

His submission defense may be good, but he was repeatedly taken down via single legs by a 40-year old BJJ guy who isn't known for his wrestling. Cormier, Stipe or healthy Cain would have no problem taking him down at will.

Rememer, he also lost to a post-UFC Kongo and Tony Johnson due to being outwrestled..and neither of those fighters are high-level wrestlers.

Good defensively. Helped by ridiculously long legs.

This, good luck stepping over that knee and, even if you pass, not getting hooked back into (half) guard. Werdum tried to adapt and that's why he went for the deep half in the third, which is something pretty rare in MMA.

Rememer, he also lost to a post-UFC Kongo and Tony Johnson due to being outwrestled..and neither of those fighters are high-level wrestlers.

Kongo has out-wrestled his fair share of guys, despite having no wrestling background.

He submitted his opponents when it mattered the most.
tumblr_mnzyjeQMmP1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
Fabricio%2BWerdum%2BSubmits%2BCain%2BVelasquez%2BUFC%2B188.gif
I know, and I'm the biggest Werdum fan you'll find, but you have to admit when it's over.

This, good luck stepping over that knee and, even if you pass, not getting hooked back into (half) guard. Werdum tried to adapt and that's why he went for the deep half in the third, which is something pretty rare in MMA.

Kongo has out-wrestled his fair share of guys, despite having no wrestling background.

I thought Werdum was going to go for a leg lock from there but no.

He did very well.

It's an interesting time in MMA now. Almost every fighter who is at the top of the rankings has had many years of grappling experience - in many cases well over 10 years of near-daily training. I would argue that almost all of them have very good no-gi BJJ.

Back