Volk should retire

P4P GOAT coming off the first Islam loss straight into "mans too old for this time to retire" in 12 months. wild.
Not at all if you follow elite level sports. Most athletes fall off a cliff vs slowly rolling down hil. Besides, PVP isn’t real and GOAT isn’t real, that’s just meaningless speculation and has no bearing on reality.

Retiring on a two loss streak is a terrible idea for his legacy. He's still got a lot left in him, and he should retire when he's ready.

He has had 30 fights 16 of them in UFC at the highest level. Most people have either him or Aldo as the FW goat. He has probably made 8 figures by now and I doubt he really needs money. He admitted to excessive drinking just a few months ago, which goes to show he may have lost his fire. He is coming off two brutal KO losses that were only a few months apart. I don't think he should fight for an entire year and he will be 36.5. He won't accept a tune-up fight, nor will the UFC give him someone easy. If he does take a tune up fight in a year, he will be 37 before getting an Ilia rematch.

Really don't want to see him fighting in 5-6 months, I think his chin might be gone and he is at the age where things go downhill fast. He could easily get matched up with Emmett and get his lights shut off again. He won't be getting Champion money anymore so he is probably going to have to take a cut in pay. I know fighters don't want to go out on a loss, but look at Tony now. Despite the damage Volk has taken, I thing he is still very cognizant, and he might not be after a few more bad losses.

We'd all love to see a ride off into the sunset retirement with him avenging his loss to Ilia, but I dont see it happening.
- I am a big fan of Volkanovski.
Having said that.....3 of his last 4 fights are losses which is rather ominous. He himself will realize that.

He has said recently that he will be taking a long time off, and wants to come back at the end of 2024, and he said he will only accept a title-fight. So against whoever is the 145lb Champion at that time -- currently its Topuria and even if Topuria fights before then...he'll prob still be Champion.

IF Volka wins his next fight, then yes sure carry on. But if he loses again, I'd like to see him retire. 3 losses in a row? and 4 out of 5 of his last fights losses? That's time to retire and I think he prob knows it.

I don't think he did anything wrong in his losses, he just got caught (the 2 KOs I mean). This is elite level striking and you can get caught at any time.

Agree he doesn't need the money, but he really HAS to win next time or at the very least for it to be an epic war and very close decision. I think he is a master of winning if fights go the distance but clearly his chin might be cracked at this point.

Retiring on a two loss streak is a terrible idea for his legacy. He's still got a lot left in him, and he should retire when he's ready.
He could also go on big losing streak which is worse for his legacy.

Im glad Im not the one making the decision.

He could also go on big losing streak which is worse for his legacy.

Im glad Im not the one making the decision.
He has earned the right to make that decision on his own, and he is nowhere near the point that fans should be offering him unsolicited advice.

Imo he should not retire... but he shouldn't rematch Topuria.

I'd like to see Volk take on a few featherweight bouts, or maybe even go up to lightweight. There's numerous intriguing matches for him there, and not everyone has super knockout power like Topuria.

I'd like 1-2 more years out of him and then he should stop for the sake of his health.

He may have made 8 figures gross over his career, but he has no where close to that net or liquid.

He only made 600k base for his last title defense, even if he was getting a great PPV deal that's still no big money. Maybe 800k after expenses? at most...

There's just no way he will retire, unless it's one of those short emotional ones like Izzy tried to pull after his last fight. There's too much money to be made, he just saw Ngannou make a REAL 8 figures. The reality is most of these guys don't retire because they CAN'T, they haven't positioned themselves well enough, the goal is always to defend a few more times and cash out. But it usually never happens, you lose out on the PPV deal and it's like a 30-50% cut in your pay.

He probably SHOULD retire though, I agree. But depending on his financial education and spending habits, he probably doesn't want to risk having to work another job. He just had his third kid, and he is probably going to want a 4th or 5th so he can have a son. Retiring this young probably isn't in the cards, sometimes it's easy to forget these guys are really young in the grand scheme of things, and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make good money. He's only 35 years old, he might have another 40-60 years left in him. This is his one surefire way to ensure his family is set for at least another generation.

I think the best thing for Volk would be to fight out his contract and go to ONE championship where he can negotiate a better deal. The UFC is robbing him, and that's usually the case when you're not a high PPV selling fighter. He would get better treatment overseas and could parlay his arguable FW GOAT status to get more cash. The UFC is just going to do him dirty at this point, hopefully his contract isn't super long.

Last edited:
He's convinced that he's fighting for a belt in his next fight, if that is the case, it's hard to turn down such an opportunity and money. I do think he'll retire with another loss, but he seems adamant for one last crack, at least I hope it's the last.

His disclosed purse (CSAC) was 750k.

Dude is getting paid peanuts.

Without the belt he may not be getting PPV share, in which case this is a really bad risk -vs- reward IMO.

His disclosed purse (CSAC) was 750k.

Dude is getting paid peanuts.

Without the belt he may not be getting PPV share, in which case this is a really bad risk -vs- reward IMO.

I think they might have ppv points locked into his contract. His coach said they renegotiated in order to accept that islam rematch on short notice, and that they were making SIGNIFICANTLY more, and that disclosed amount of 750k doesn't make me believe that that's all they got out of that new contract.

Who really knows, though. We can only speculate. Regardless, I'd like to see him retire after his next loss, especially if he gets finished again.

Last edited:
I think they might have ppv points locked into his contract. His coach said they renegotiated in order to accept that islam rematch on short notice, and that they were making SIGNIFICANTLY more, and that disclosed amount of 750k doesn't make me believe that that's all they got out of that new contract.

Who really knows, though. We can only speculate. Regardless, I'd like to see him retire after his next loss, especially if he gets finished again.

We have a ton of discovery from the class action and multiple promotional contracts are now public record. He did go up to 750k from his previous purse, but it puts in perspective how absolutely full of shit the UFC is about pay.

The press release about him signing a 'huge' new contract didn't take into account he would be fighting in California the following year and his purse would be publicly released. That is absolutely atrocious guaranteed pay for a long defending P4P world champion.

I honestly doubt he's getting PPV share when not champion. The UFC demonstrably hates sharing the cash and they are now run by the best negotiators on planet earth. Thats how revenue share got squeezed even further to <15% in recent years.

Love Volk and hate the idea of him getting brained again for 750k.

We have a ton of discovery from the class action and multiple promotional contracts are now public record. He did go up to 750k from his previous purse, but it puts in perspective how absolutely full of shit the UFC is about pay.

The press release about him signing a 'huge' new contract didn't take into account he would be fighting in California the following year and his purse would be publicly released. That is absolutely atrocious guaranteed pay for a long defending P4P world champion.

I honestly doubt he's getting PPV share when not champion. The UFC demonstrably hates sharing the cash and they are now run by the best negotiators on planet earth. Thats how revenue share got squeezed even further to <15% in recent years.

Love Volk and hate the idea of him getting brained again for 750k.

Sadly, I think volk would try again even if it was for less money. He's too much of a competitor for his own good, and his team hasn't been giving him the best career advice of late.

I'm hoping he got a big backroom bonus for that islam fight then, because his coach made it seem like it was generational wealth they were making lol.

Back