Visited Snap City today while doing Deadlifts...

colby25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So i've been working slowly up with deadlifts over the past 2 or 3 months. Last week i did 345 for 3 reps and slowly increasing the weight. Today i was doing deadlifts and was warming up. Started out with 135 then 225 for a few reps. Then added 50 lbs for 275 and i was doing the first rep felt a pop in my back immediately set the bar down.

It hurt at first on my lower back and my left hamstring surprisingly. I've been neglecting my legs and i think that finally caught up to me. Neglecting squats and legs while trying to still do deadlifts i think made a pretty weak link there. But was able to work off the pain. Did some back extensions, sit ups, rows, pull downs all pretty light then decided i better stop neglecting legs and did a light leg workout...so pretty much a full bodyworkout that was light and finished off with a 2 mile light jog warming up and cooling down....then a pretty intense foam roll on the area.

Came back to the hotel i'm staying in and soaked in the hot tub and now not feeling too bad besides my hamstring feels cramped. At first i was really freaking out for the few minutes cause it hurt and i felt a pop.... I'm really hoping nothing serious occurred and just a wake up call to start training legs again and quit slacking cause i think that's what went wrong cause i feel it not so much in my lower back where the pop was felt but in my hamstring...guess we'll find out in the a.m. Thinking of doing away with deadlifts for good though as much as i enjoy doing them.

Who else has suffered from the same thing?

I've been neglecting my legs and i think that finally caught up to me. Neglecting squats and legs while trying to still do deadlifts i think made a pretty weak link there.

No.

Sounds like you didn't warm up properly and stained a hammy

So i've been working slowly up with deadlifts over the past 2 or 3 months. Last week i did 345 for 3 reps and slowly increasing the weight. Today i was doing deadlifts and was warming up. Started out with 135 then 225 for a few reps. Then added 50 lbs for 275 and i was doing the first rep felt a pop in my back immediately set the bar down.

It hurt at first on my lower back and my left hamstring surprisingly. I've been neglecting my legs and i think that finally caught up to me. Neglecting squats and legs while trying to still do deadlifts i think made a pretty weak link there. But was able to work off the pain. Did some back extensions, sit ups, rows, pull downs all pretty light then decided i better stop neglecting legs and did a light leg workout...so pretty much a full bodyworkout that was light and finished off with a 2 mile light jog warming up and cooling down....then a pretty intense foam roll on the area.

Came back to the hotel i'm staying in and soaked in the hot tub and now not feeling too bad besides my hamstring feels cramped. At first i was really freaking out for the few minutes cause it hurt and i felt a pop.... I'm really hoping nothing serious occurred and just a wake up call to start training legs again and quit slacking cause i think that's what went wrong cause i feel it not so much in my lower back where the pop was felt but in my hamstring...guess we'll find out in the a.m. Thinking of doing away with deadlifts for good though as much as i enjoy doing them.

Make sure you're warming up properly with 10 minutes of liight cardio before starting deadlifts. Don't ignore any muscles so there's no muscle imbalances. Also make sure you're using proper form.

i suggest you post a video of some medium heavyish deadlifts and lets iron it out

Make sure you're warming up properly with 10 minutes of liight cardio before starting deadlifts. Don't ignore any muscles so there's no muscle imbalances. Also make sure you're using proper form.
Who the fuck warms up with 10 minutes of light cardio before deadlifting? Terrible advice.

Who the fuck warms up with 10 minutes of light cardio before deadlifting? Terrible advice.
How's that terrible advice? Sometimes I do 5 sometimes i do 10 to warm up muscles than I work my way up starting with just the bar. I've never had a problem.

That shouldn't be the only part of the warm up but its definitely not bad advice. Too many arm chair athletes scared of cardio runing there gainz.

In I'm ally warm up with lighter sets of whatever lift I'm doing.

Sometimes a bit of jumprope.

cardio is not necessary at all unless it just makes you feel good to do it...warm up should consist of gradually ramping up the weight to your work sets simple as that

It's not exactly an uncommon practice, and while movement specific warmup is obviously going to be the dominant part of the picture, lots of people, including some really monstrously strong ones, will have general "get blood moving" portions to their warmups in addition to targeted mobility.

I usually bike commute to the gym at work, so i've got 40ish minutes of low intensity cardio before my worksets unless I delay to lunch. So, kind of a moot point for me

next time, do the "Limber 11" for warmup.

Your hamstring is fine by the way. Just foam roll the hell out of it and I guarantee it will be fresh again for next week's deadlift sesh.

next time, do the "Limber 11" for warmup.

Your hamstring is fine by the way. Just foam roll the hell out of it and I guarantee it will be fresh again for next week's deadlift sesh.

Thanks man I'll check it out.

I'm feeling a lot better now. Walking around fairly normal. Taken about 5 hot baths with the jets on and loaded up with my grandmothers (God rest her soul) recommendation of the ol biofreeze- feeling like a new man... Almost.

As long as I have some mobility by tomorrow I'll be happy.

10 min cardio s a pretty common advice for as a warm-up for physical activities.

It's not "10 min cardio before deadlift", but "5-10 min walk/light jog before training".

Never had that, but once I was deadlifting heavy and I was pretty tired, shouldn't have gone heavy. Long story short I felt a "pull" in my lower left abdomen near the groin on my last set. Immediately bailed on the weight and thought the worse (hernia). Checked myself and no lumps, went to the doctor and no hernia. I've been told I may have leaned too far forward and put too much strain on my hip abductor. Who knows, all good now.

But seriously, video if you can. There's a number of things in the setup, breaking the bar, and lockout that can affect the strain on your back.

TS, is your back feeling ok? Hope you escaped anything bad.

Back