(video) Gegard Mousasi on Rory MacDonald "Style wise its a good fight for me"

The main event may get viewers now, but it's a dumb "eat your seed corn" move in the long-term for Bellator.
  1. Moving up a weight class only makes sense after you clear out your division. Cormier is a great example. He beat everyone but a suspended Jones who failed his last drug test. Cormier even beat Rumble twice. Rory hasn't even defended his belt yet!
  2. While I think Mousasi is overrated by some here as a MW/LHW, he's a very bad style match-up for Rory and is simply too big. Rory was outstruck by Lawler (twice), Wonderboy and Lima (he won due to his wrestling). Condit also KO'd him, though Rory was pretty green at the time (11th fight). Now he's going to fight a big MW who's taller and has a longer reach than he does? Rory's striking has been most effective vs grapplers (Maia) and/or when he has a reach advantage (Woodley). What's more, Rory took a ton of damage in his last few UFC fights and his nose is just asking to be destroyed (again) by Mousasi's jab.
  3. Mousasi is just too big (and has good enough grappling) to prevent Rory from winning via wrestling like he did vs. Lima. Rory has good wrestling, but he doesn't have the explosive TDs or top control of a prime GSP (nor does any other active WW right now). He'd need that to be beat a legit MW.
Rory's only chance is that Mousasi fights very complacently and passively. Maybe Rory could win if he throws more strikes and gets a few TDs. Mousasi has fought that way before, but I don't think he will for a superfight. And there's nothing to prove for Mousasi. So what if he outstrikes or even KO's Rory? That's been done before by multiple WWs .

I mean, it's not a crazy statement. If Lima showed even an iota of fight IQ, he would have taken the decision over Rory. I like Lima, but he's not the best WW on the planet; I'd put him in the low top 10 which some people will argue about him being there at all, but it is what it is.

Lima and Koreshkov among others would most likely do just fine if not relatively great in the UFC, win-loss record wise before the inevitable steep declines if they hold off their retirements. They're both great fighters, as are other various Bellator guys. I always wanted the Pitbull Bros in the UFC.

However, I would pick neither of them against Rory or Moose right now.

Maybe after Rory's fight with Moose if it ends up being a horrific fight for Rory. I can't see that nose being durable enough for combat sports ever again if Gegard destroys it.

Lima and Koreshkov among others would most likely do just fine if not relatively great in the UFC, win-loss record wise before the inevitable steep declines if they hold off their retirements. ...However, I would pick neither of them against Rory or Moose right now.

I also don't see Lima, Koreshkov, Rory, Woodley, etc. doing well against Romero, Rockhold or prime Anderson. WW to MW is a BIG leap.

middleweights are just to big huge gap jumping up and gegard can compete at light heavyweight

Can't wait for this fight!

Hope Gegard fights the way he looked in weigh-ins yesterday- best I've ever seen him 24 -30 hours prior to a dust up.

WAR MOUSASI COMPOUND

The main event may get viewers now, but it's a dumb "eat your seed corn" move in the long-term for Bellator.
  1. Moving up a weight class only makes sense after you clear out your division. Cormier is a great example. He beat everyone but a suspended Jones who failed his last drug test. Cormier even beat Rumble twice. Rory hasn't even defended his belt yet!
  2. While I think Mousasi is overrated by some here as a MW/LHW, he's a very bad style match-up for Rory and is simply too big. Rory was outstruck by Lawler (twice), Wonderboy and Lima (he won due to his wrestling). Condit also KO'd him, though Rory was pretty green at the time (11th fight). Now he's going to fight a big MW who's taller and has a longer reach than he does? Rory's striking has been most effective vs grapplers (Maia) and/or when he has a reach advantage (Woodley). What's more, Rory took a ton of damage in his last few UFC fights and his nose is just asking to be destroyed (again) by Mousasi's jab.
  3. Mousasi is just too big (and has good enough grappling) to prevent Rory from winning via wrestling like he did vs. Lima. Rory has good wrestling, but he doesn't have the explosive TDs or top control of a prime GSP (nor does any other active WW right now). He'd need that to be beat a legit MW.
Rory's only chance is that Mousasi fights very complacently and passively. Maybe Rory could win if he throws more strikes and gets a few TDs. Mousasi has fought that way before, but I don't think he will for a superfight. And there's nothing to prove for Mousasi. So what if he outstrikes or even KO's Rory? That's been done before by multiple WWs .
Bellator are building a new crop of WW contenders with a champion using the tournament anyway, Rory is not long for MMA since he has taken so much damage, its actually a shrewd business move parlaying him into a superfight when his shelf life is nearly expired

I also don't see Lima, Koreshkov, Rory, Woodley, etc. doing well against Romero, Rockhold or prime Anderson. WW to MW is a BIG leap.

Why not? Just cuz the me have size advantage, The WWs have speed and cardio advantages.

I'd pick prime gsp over Anderson, luke.

Oh and a former WW is the MW champ and a former WW is fighting for MW title.

Whittaker and Gastelum are both warriors. Many would pick GSP against Anderson. But it doesn't matter what fans pick. Many would pick Jones against any HW champ. But there are always some that would pick the opposite. Only way to prove: Have the fighter moving up and taking a challenge. GSP and Jones were great fighters but they never had the balls to move up. It's their choice. Not blaming them for anything. But if we talk about how big of a leap moving up a weight class is we have to be objective. Cormier, Whittaker and Rory take the credit. They are our warriors because they give the fans what they want.

This fight sucks. At least as a Rory fan. It’s gonna be a hard fight that’s gonna shave a few years off both of their careers. I’m excited for it don’t get me wrong I’m just sad that Rory never gets an easy fight. As far as a winner goes who the hell knows I hope Rory wins but I don’t see it.

This fight sucks. At least as a Rory fan. It’s gonna be a hard fight that’s gonna shave a few years off both of their careers. I’m excited for it don’t get me wrong I’m just sad that Rory never gets an easy fight. As far as a winner goes who the hell knows I hope Rory wins but I don’t see it.

Regardless of the victor, I really doubt it will take any years off Mousasi. The guy isn't exactly known for taking damage outside that lightning bolt that hit him named Uriah Hall.

Rory has gotten dragged into a lot of wars of attrition: Condit, Lima, Robbie, etc. - Mousasi, not so much.

Back