Video game prices have remained the same for nearly 3 decades so why do we complain?

Gaming is an incredibly affordable hobby. My problem isn't with the cost of gaming, but with the deceitful tactics of modern gaming companies. If you want to charge $100 for a game, then charge $100 for a game... but don't charge me $60 for a game, and then ruin the gaming experience by purposefully forcing me to grind, or play the game in a tedious way, in an attempt to encourage (or trick) me into spending more money to play the game the way it should have been designed from the start.
totally this^^ I'm actually fine with a season pass and cosmetic upgrades since I dont purchase them, but to ruin a game experience with players having a massive upgrade over me because I'm not paying more money wtf.

but some people want to complete the guns and characters, atleast in previous Battle front you could do that for $60 + $50 season pass, how is that the same as spending $2100.

2000 dollars ? What? Where's this from?

I think you missed my point. These larger companies (Activision/EA/etc..) are listed on the stock exchange. Their primary goal is to make share holders happy. That means making more off each game than they did previously. Many many many of the top people at these companies are not gamers and are completely out of touch. They are simply business men looking to make money for the shareholders and themselves.

I am not totally against DLC, or micro transactions. I have bought many of them. However when they hold back a major part of a $60 game and then expect you to pay more to access the full game, they can fuck right off.

I understand these large companies are probing at various ways to increase revenue and I applaud those that either do it successfully, or backtrack when if fails. People were irritated at the DOOM DLCs. They backed off and all DLC is free now.

Do you support EA's Battlefront II business model?

I don't, I didn't support it when they did the same thing with the Battlefield games either. That was one of the core reasons I stopped buying Battlefield after BF3.

But then at the same time, if people are daft enough to spend that kind of money unlocking characters in a game that they can unlock for free by playing it, that's on them.

Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction and Brood War for Starcraft I think was what started the snowball effect. Huge DLC back then or as they used to be called... "expansion packs"

Exactly. The concept of DLC is not new, they've just taken what worked and expanded on it. We as consumers are partialy to blame, as we enable this behaviour. Some of us more than others of course.

I'm pretty sure I paid like $85-$90 on MK3 back in the day

No it's not. Doom 2 was made to be an expansion for Doom, it was a few new maps and some new enemies. GTA London was literally an add-on for GTA, you had to put the GTA disc in the PS1 to be able to play it. Shen Mue and Shen Mue 2 were written as 1 game. Pac man and Ms Pac man were the same game with a new character.

Thinking that this is a new thing, is wilful ignorance.

someone please draw this guy a venn diagram for expansions and DOWNLOADABLE (vs having to go to a store and buy the physical copy to then stick in your pc/ps1... ) content.

most DLCs aren't even expansions, anyway.

When I bought Ocarina of Time for 60 bucks in 1999, I got the whole game, and it was clear that THE GAME was the main goals of the game makers.

Now, we get glitchy game releases for games that are either sold to us piece meal over months for more money, formulaic as fuck with nothing original, or both.

I never cared about a game being $60 until smaller studios released stellar titles like Hellblade for half the price. Throw in already-on-disc DLC and it starts to look shady.

I never cared about a game being $60 until smaller studios released stellar titles like Hellblade for half the price. Throw in already-on-disc DLC and it starts to look shady.

And pre buying future content when you have no idea what it could be and they don't tell you but want you're 40-60 dollars anyway.

someone please draw this guy a venn diagram for expansions and DOWNLOADABLE (vs having to go to a store and buy the physical copy to then stick in your pc/ps1... ) content.

most DLCs aren't even expansions, anyway.

You understand that it was not possible to download an expansion for a ps1 game, right. Nor was it possible to download additional characters in pac man? Nor was it possible to download additional map packs for doom. You think if the infrastructure was there for those games, that they wouldn't have been downloads rather than things you had to go into a store for?

If you can't understand how an expansion pack, and a DLC (you know what DLC stands for, right?), is in essence the same thing, then you should probably spend less time working on trying to sound smart on a karate forum, and more time working on that common sense. In this day and age, expansion packs are DLC.

And yes, DLC are expansions. They may not be titled expansions, but they are. You know what expansion means, right?

Last edited:
The first game I ever noticed pay 2 win shit in a game was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008. EA has been laying this foundation for a long ass time.

You understand that it was not possible to download an expansion for a ps1 game, right. Nor was it possible to download additional characters in pac man? Nor was it possible to download additional map packs for doom. You think if the infrastructure was there for those games, that they wouldn't have been downloads rather than things you had to go into a store for?

If you can't understand how an expansion pack, and a DLC (you know what DLC stands for, right?), is in essence the same thing, then you should probably spend less time working on trying to sound smart on a karate forum, and more time working on that common sense. In this day and age, expansion packs are DLC.

And yes, DLC are expansions. They may not be titled expansions, but they are. You know what expansion means, right?

so much fail.

1. as for physical vs downloads - that dead horse is flogged. but you STILL don't seem to comprehend the difference. it's not semantics, it's logistics.
2. "And yes, DLC are expansions" - lol, no. i mean... SOME DLC are expansions... but most DLC are not.
3. "You know what expansion means, right?" - do you? paying for DLC of a playable character that's in the game upon lauch hardly seems to be an "expansion," even by the most possibly moronic usage of the term.

perhaps you really do need a venn diagram. while downloadable expansions ARE dlc, most dlc are not expansions.

the person who thinks that buying a disc from a store that had packaging and artwork is totally downloading and asks me if i know what dlc means. ok, got it. you can't possibly be serious.

I usually wait till BF or Boxing day and pick up all the games from earlier in the year for 20/30/40 for a game. That's it.

{<redford}

Canada crew checking in. I’ve been doing 90% of my game purchases on Boxing Day since about 2012.

back in the day you paid full price and that was it

now its preorder, early access and rng bullshit lootboxes ONTOP of paying the full price, that is the problem

also gamers dont give a flying fuck which known actor does the voiceovers and cgi apperances in cutscenes but the big companies think its what appeals to the gamers these days so they waste huge amount of money to have them appear in these AAA games

Imagine paying 60 dollars for a fighting game in the early 90s but then it only had half the characters and you had to pay a total of 30 more dollars for the rest of the characters. Or if Garudo Valley in Ocarina of Time was a 20 dollar DLC.

Hardware-wise video gaming is also more expensive.

Not in Canada (due to the exchange rate). It was $79.99 like fifteen years ago, came down to $49.99 - $59.99 about ten years ago, and now it's back up to $79.99 (which is more than my monthly electricity bill).

I haven't bought an AAA game in a long while, but usually wait a couple of years or so until the GOTY edition is offered on a Steam sale. Still waiting to bite on Fallout 4 after years of waiting for it.

That being said, assuming the single-player experience is polished (without the bullshit of microtransactions / hiding stuff behind paywalls), these games are usually worth every single cent of whatever they're being sold at. A game like Witcher 3 is an exponentially better (and longer) entertainment experience than any Hollywood picture these days.

Back