VID- My Brown Belt Debut

Mm, I'm really bad at explaining moves in text...but, while standing in someone's open guard, I'll basically put my lead leg forward to bait them to try and either sit up and grab it for a single leg, or to go for DLR.
Meanwhile I'm already eyeing up their wrist for the figure four, and as soon as they reach for my leg I Backstep hard, basically hit them in the face with my side while locking up the figure 4,and flatten them out, usually into half guard.
Lemme know if that makes sense

Yea. I'm going to drill it this on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know. This should be a treat since I've been working on the backstep for a while.

Yea. I'm going to drill it this on Monday or Tuesday. I'll let you know. This should be a treat since I've been working on the backstep for a while.

Nice. Yeah the key is being totally proactive about it: YOU have to consciously set it up and execute it when they bite on your bait; you can't wait to try and react to their attack.
So yeah, conciliatory stick your lead out there for them to grab, and as soon as they bite on it, back step, drop your Side on em, and lock out that shoulder (and the key to the actually kimura is clamping your armpit as high up on their clavicle as possible; don't worry about grabbing their wrist until after you've totally lock up the shoulder with your armpit, and by clamping your elbow onto their ribs...grabbing their wrist should be the last step of any good kimura, not the first).

Anyways, sorry for rambling on; lemme know how it goes with your drilling! I'm happy to try help you further with it.

-Ken

Nice. That one GB guy must really hate you. What'd you have, 3 matches against him?

Nice. That one GB guy must really hate you. What'd you have, 3 matches against him?

Lol yeah: 2 in Gi and 1 Nogi. He was super cool though; we've stayed in touch after too.

Lol yeah: 2 in Gi and 1 Nogi. He was super cool though; we've stayed in touch after too.

You beat him three times in a row. You know what that means, right?

He's a 90lbs Asian kid with no experience?

No Dan, it means he's your bitch. Until he beats you. Three in a row = he's your bitch.

@MotivatedPenn how did the drilling go?
It's looking good so far. Got it on every person I tried it on (though I'm sure there are still details to iron out; the highest person I've hit it on is a blue, so I still have to try it on higher ranks).

lol I might have to start looking into an entire "hunting for kimuras while passing" series

Lol thanks guys, I tried to use lots of eX0-Mechinacals etc.

But yeah, once you start using the figure Four as a form of 2-on-1 Shoulder control, it really opens up so much more than just "bend his arm behind his back". Just make sure y'all clamp your armpit right on the top of his clavicle and pinch your elbow down to your ribs; now you've got his arm and don't give it back!

I read that as 2-on-1 Sherdog control.

Maybe that can be the name of your finishing move.

Last edited:
lol I might have to start looking into an entire "hunting for kimuras while passing" series

Dude totally! Half my passes are rolling/backstepping/etc for kimuras. A lot of times people will extend their arms to try and frame and prevent a pass or re-guard; this is a perfect time to attack Kimuras, or even slide into near-Side Armbars.

Remember my Gold Rule for locking the shoulder: if you can see the back of their hand, that means their elbow is open, and their shoulder is open for a possible lock.

Had a tourney 2 weeks ago, added in some more KIMORA highlight finishes!

Nice kimura off the take down at the end. I had to mute the music to watch the video.

attaboy Kennay!

Was the music another kpoz original composition? because if so that sweep at 2:19 was godly.

kimura sweeps were pretty legit too :D

Lol it was Arch Enemy music....I like it :(

Back