US Kickboxing Legend Joe Lewis gives great interview about bruce lee/full contact karate(ko footage)

Note that Joe Lewis only learned boxing for 1 year and could still KO kickboxers in 1 round with punches. Imagine then Mike Tyson...

Maybe he just concentrated on boxing for one year. I am sure he was getting deeper into boxing while he was kickboxing and he had a falling out w/ Bruce Lee. His knowledge of boxing is way deeper than someone who did it for one year. He started training w/ Joe Orbillio when he was training w/ BL and he trained w/ Sugar Ray Robinson also.
He was also a collegiate wrestler. He could have been one of the first MMA champs if it was available in the 70s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lewis_(martial_artist)

After reading one of Lewis' personal written books he wrote in his own words that he disliked boxing. He credits Bruce Lee for being one of the first ones to introduce boxing into his Karate training. He talks about how initially he thought he didn't need it and he would passively be quiet and nod "out of respect" whenever Bruce Lee was raving about boxing or Muhammad Ali. He didn't like Muhammad Ali at first because of personal reasons. I don't remember the full details but he finally saw the value in boxing after a while later. It was at this moment he started coaching with Joey Orbillo.

would you say the same of the k1 guys? after all branko cikaric who knocked out hoost twice lost to don the dragon wilson.

Yes! Up to Hoost and Aerts then the kickboxers take over as dominat over the boxers probably although not if the boxers make a proper cross over and train low kick defense. Also the boxing heavy kickboxers like Le Banner Hunto Branco would not fair well its the big kickers that takeover the boxers Aerts Hoost, Cro Cop Ignashov

Branko beat Hoost and Wilson beat Branko but Ali/Tyson would easily beat those 2 but not Hoost because of the devastating low kicks.

Tyson/Ali could handle the kicks and punches from Brranco/Wilson/Hoost, he couldnt handle Hoosts low kicks,

Branco could beat Hoost, I doubt Wilson could beat Hoost though because of the kicks, Branco had good kick defense though Wilson not so much.

Also Hoost was still a bit green.

So yes those kick boxer of that era were crap and the boxers of that era Ali Norton, Holmes, Tyson etc would wipe the floor with them

Last edited:
It's not as much about strength as it is about coordination.

You can train your weak side but it will never be as strong as your strong side if you work on that instead. Yes there is something inherently different. Your dominant side is something you are born with.

Just my guess but i would also say there's a small difference in natural strength in your dominant vs non domiannt side. After all your CNS is a big part of strength

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-causes-some-people-t/

I was correcting someone that said it was stronger not more coordinated

The strength difference if any is meaningless. What we know is its either no difference at all and I am right, or its so marginal it makes barely any difference at all, and is almost not noticeable.

Basically im right there's no difference in strength of either side unless you get pedantic about it and that could be wrong too there could be 0 difference or the left/non diominant side could even have more potential for strength.

The scientists dont know yet. We dont know.

But we do know just 2-4 weeks of bench pressing with the left side is all it takes to make the don dominant side the stronger side, after a life time of using the right side and neglecting the left.

So it is possible that Bruce Lee was right but he was wrong in the context he meant it. I may be wrong but im right in the context I mean it, he meant the right side is significantly stronger and its not after equal training. I mean there's no difference in the strength of a side and thats either right or insignificantly wrong.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back