US Kickboxing Legend Joe Lewis gives great interview about bruce lee/full contact karate(ko footage)

bill-superfoot-wallace-o.gif

PiHVVBp.gif
Why did you highlight the part about benny then post a gif of lewis and wallace fighting?

Why did you highlight the part about benny then post a gif of lewis and wallace fighting?

mistake, although they all show the same lack of power, I was highlighting their ineffectiveness

Its no wonder they had to be forced into throwing kicks to stop them boxing, boxing is all they had for effectiveness back then

In Muay thai at the same point in history they were breaking each others arms etc with proper round kicks

I think peak Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis etc would destroy Benny and the rest of those shiny pants kickboxers if there was no kicking requirement. Lewis had a sledgehammer when he wanted to crank it up and Tyson was so explosive close range

Note that Joe Lewis only learned boxing for 1 year and could still KO kickboxers in 1 round with punches. Imagine then Mike Tyson...

I think peak Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis etc would destroy Benny and the rest of those shiny pants kickboxers if there was no kicking requirement. Lewis had a sledgehammer when he wanted to crank it up and Tyson was so explosive close range
would you say the same of the k1 guys? after all branko cikaric who knocked out hoost twice lost to don the dragon wilson.

mistake, although they all show the same lack of power, I was highlighting their ineffectiveness

Its no wonder they had to be forced into throwing kicks to stop them boxing, boxing is all they had for effectiveness back then

In Muay thai at the same point in history they were breaking each others arms etc with proper round kicks
yeah but that guy in the other pick compromised his base and leaned over, dropped his hands. Neither Lewis or Wallace did that in the gif. also Benny had sick kicks. just look them up.

Last edited:
would you say the same of the k1 guys? after all branko cikaric who knocked out hoost twice lost to don the dragon wilson.

Concidering that Francis Botha beat LeBanner and a way past his prime Tyson Koed Botha. Yeah.. If Tyson 88-89 conditioned his legs he would slaughter Lebanner

Yes, Lewis was a great speaker of the martial arts. I love his insights. I doubt that he was at the level of the very best K1 fighters in the 90s (he claims he could figure them out but I'm very sceptical) but what a great mind he had.

If you fight under those rulesets, it is only a matter of time before learn how to fight under those rulesets. Now, level of natural athletic ability is another story.

How Joe Lewis would do against Thai fighters is beyond me, but Lewis was a really great fighter and I believe he would've figured out how those guys worked. Joe Lewis should not be compared to Benny The Jet, they're not the same era or the same training background. We all know Benny struggled with the MT cats.

Under MT ruleset, Lewis will need lots of practice to learn all the new tech, and tactics that go along with it. Plus MT had and I am sure still has a more extensive amateur, or professional weeding out process, and depth. So Lewis's peak level of athleticism may not be up to par depending on which MT fighter he is against.

If you fight under those rulesets, it is only a matter of time before learn how to fight under those rulesets. Now, level of natural athletic ability is another story.

I don't believe based on level of athletic ability that Lewis would stand a chance

I don't believe based on level of athletic ability that Lewis would stand a chance

Yeh, but you can say the same for athletes in any sport in the previous generations. OJ will get mirked in todays NFL too.

There is no strong side, which ever you use the most becomes the strong side, 1 -3 months of only using the left hand for everything and it would become your stronger more dominant side, there's nothing inherently weak about the muscles or nervous system on the left side of the body

Bench press with a dumbbell for 1 month a progressively heavy one on the left side only and it will be stronger than the right.

Many right handed boxers have their left hook as their strongest punch

Bruce Lee was wrong

It's not as much about strength as it is about coordination.

You can train your weak side but it will never be as strong as your strong side if you work on that instead. Yes there is something inherently different. Your dominant side is something you are born with.

Just my guess but i would also say there's a small difference in natural strength in your dominant vs non domiannt side. After all your CNS is a big part of strength

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-causes-some-people-t/

Under MT ruleset, Lewis will need lots of practice to learn all the new tech, and tactics that go along with it. Plus MT had and I am sure still has a more extensive amateur, or professional weeding out process, and depth. So Lewis's peak level of athleticism may not be up to par depending on which MT fighter he is against.

The discussion was K1 or AKB

Yeh, but you can say the same for athletes in any sport in the previous generations. OJ will get mirked in todays NFL too.

I wouldn't state that categorically. Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis would o be boxing champs in this generation as well IMO

Joe Lewis and that era are big influences on my own striking. I don't have any dreams of fighting in the cage or ring, so my stand up is heavily AKB influencedn (which was my first striking style anyway that I trained). I've started trying to study Joe Lewis material where I can find it.

RIP Joe Lewis.

Joe Lewis and that era are big influences on my own striking. I don't have any dreams of fighting in the cage or ring, so my stand up is heavily AKB influencedn (which was my first striking style anyway that I trained). I've started trying to study Joe Lewis material where I can find it.

RIP Joe Lewis.
I could understand not wanting to compete in general, but I think the AKB techniques could be adapted for mma or kickboxing. Lead leg kicking people in the head and lead side kicks can definitely work.

I could understand not wanting to compete in general, but I think the AKB techniques could be adapted for mma or kickboxing. Lead leg kicking people in the head and lead side kicks can definitely work.

Well I guess the rule set always dictates the fighting style, probably more than the other way around. But there have been guys who have competed successfully who have AKB / Full contact Karate / etc backgrounds in other combat sports like k-1 or mma. And when I spar, I go to my old MMA gym on open mat days and spar with those guys who are do boxing and kickboxing for MMA and I think I do just fine.

I just feel like for me, as an individual, I prefer to study all these old fighters and their styles/tactics/concepts that I'm a fan boy of. Most people would say sparring/training MT or K-1 or whatever is better than AKB, but its also true that any style that spars hard with full contact is "fine" for fighting overall. And of course American Kickboxing and Full Contact Karate is/was a combat sport of full contact.

The only trouble with kickboxing were the "high kicks only" rules and "5 kicks every minute per round" or something. This forces many people to do many flicky pole like kicks and not many powerful low kicks or other type of stronger kicks.

Back