University TA ‘Censured’ After Playing A Clip From A Debate About Transgender Pronouns

You’re right. It isn’t so much her stance. But the statement that transgendered people are “out there” is definitely a statement with implicit negative connotations aimed at transgendered people. Is it a big deal? Nope.
I'm pretty sure she meant that people who hold opposing views are out there, besides, that's a total reach.

I'm pretty sure she meant that people who hold opposing views are out there, besides, that's a total reach.

I’m not sure what you mean. Either way, none of this is any reason to suspend her. And like I said, it just gives all the wrong people exactly what they’ve been waiting for to discredit academic institutions.

I graduated from Laurier 15 years ago

Ashamed of this crap

No donations

Well that didn't take long.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/...es-to-ta-for-jordan-peterson-censorship-drama

The head of Wilfrid Laurier University officially apologized to a teaching assistant for a meeting in which she was berated for playing a video clip of controversial professor Jordan Peterson in a classroom.

In the letter of apology, which was posted on the Wilfrid Laurier website, the university's president and vice-chancellor, Deborah MacLatchy, said that she was first able to listen to the meeting through “the media.”

“After listening to this recording, an apology is in order,” reads the open letter. “The conversation I heard does not reflect the values and practices to which Laurier aspires. I am sorry it occurred in the way that it did and I regret the impact it had on Lindsay Shepherd.”

At least they owned up to being so big brother-ish. Too bad it took a secret recording along with public ridicule/embarrassment to withstract an apology.

I’m not sure what you mean. Either way, none of this is any reason to suspend her. And like I said, it just gives all the wrong people exactly what they’ve been waiting for to discredit academic institutions.
When she said, "They're out there," she was referring to people like Jordan Peterson who have opposing ideas, being out there, meaning in the real world.

When she said, "They're out there," she was referring to people like Jordan Peterson who have opposing ideas, being out there, meaning in the real world.

I see. Like I said, none of it is reason to suspend her.

you don't even have to wait anymore, so many of these universities are handing out these reasons like halloween candy

"I understand your positionality, but you're creating a toxic environment."
<Lmaoo>

I hope there is some backlash here and the university issues an apology.
This is getting out of hand.

you don't even have to wait anymore, so many of these universities are handing out these reasons like halloween candy
Really? You’ve audited their classes? Enough to constitute a sample representative of the population?

This is just a common sentiment used by people who didn’t or couldn’t make it through college to justify not going.

She didn’t take a neutral position. And she’s wrong to say that in a university all points of view are valid. No, they aren’t. All points of view should be heard, but not all have to be considered valid. Still, suspending her is stupid. All they do is make a martyr out of her and validate the rhetoric of all the morons who say that college brainwashed students and indoctrinated them into left wing politics. That literally does not happen in 99% of college courses. They are just adding fuel to the fire by suspending her for such dubious reasons. Still, she was not neutral. Saying transgendered people are “out there,” is not neutral. Now, if she said they are statistical outliers, that would be a different story. Because that is neutral and mathematically correct. “Out there” is a value judgement, and not a very positive one.

Jack, I like you, but what are you talking about with this "out there" stuff? She was just saying that these other ideas are out there (as in, out there in the real world, outside of the university) and should be talked about inside the university because that's what the students are going to experience when they graduate and get into the real world. She was as neutral as it gets.

How two doctors couldn't pick up on the context of the situation is beyond belief. These people go to school for how long and are paid how much to be complete and utter dumbasses? I have to get out a fucking thesaurus and a dictionary to understand what the hell they're saying but they can't even understand the simple idea that there is a world out there that doesn't have some sort of goofy trans policy and that the kids should know what it's going to be like once they get out of this little safe bubble they've been living in for the last few years.

Jack, I like you, but what are you talking about with this "out there" stuff? She was just saying that these other ideas are out there (as in, out there in the real world, outside of the university) and should be talked about inside the university because that's what the students are going to experience when they graduate and get into the real world. She was as neutral as it gets.

How two doctors couldn't pick up on the context of the situation is beyond belief. These people go to school for how long and are paid how much to be complete and utter dumbasses? I have to get out a fucking thesaurus and a dictionary to understand what the hell they're saying but they can't even understand the simple idea that there is a world out there that doesn't have some sort of goofy trans policy and that the kids should know what it's going to be like once they get out of this little safe bubble they've been living in for the last few years.

Yeah, I did’t read that correctly or something. I love how everyone patches onto that and not my main point just because they want something to grind their axe against. My point is, either way, this was no reason to suspend the TA, which i’m Sure everyone arguing with me would agree with, regardless of what the TA said.

Hell, if she had said all trans people should be slaughtered, most people here would still say she shouldn’t be suspended, so I am confident that everyone agrees she should not have been suspended for this.

She didn’t take a neutral position. And she’s wrong to say that in a university all points of view are valid. No, they aren’t. All points of view should be heard, but not all have to be considered valid. Still, suspending her is stupid. All they do is make a martyr out of her and validate the rhetoric of all the morons who say that college brainwashed students and indoctrinated them into left wing politics. That literally does not happen in 99% of college courses. They are just adding fuel to the fire by suspending her for such dubious reasons. Still, she was not neutral. Saying transgendered people are “out there,” is not neutral. Now, if she said they are statistical outliers, that would be a different story. Because that is neutral and mathematically correct. “Out there” is a value judgement, and not a very positive one.

She said that those opinions, like the one expressed by Peterson, are "out there" did she not? Not that transgender people are "out there" in any kind of pejorative sense. As in it doesn't make much sense shielding people from current debates and pretending they don't exist.

But I haven't read to much into it, just skimmed through, so could be I misread.

She said that those opinions, like the one expressed by Peterson, are "out there" did she not? Not that transgender people are "out there" in any kind of pejorative sense. As in it doesn't make much sense shielding people from current debates and pretending they don't exist.

But I haven't read to much into it, just skimmed through, so could be I misread.
Jesus fucking christ

Earlier I disagreed with her when she said “all points of view are valid...” I actually thought about that a bit more and don’t completely agree with what I said either. In college, that is really the time any point of view should be heard. However, I think it’s dangerous to say all points of view are valid. Some are less valid than others. But she’s right that in college, they should be considering every point of view. That is the time for that. Hell, we had an Econ professor who said that slavery was a good thing because America wouldn’t be where it was without it.

It is the professor and TA’s job to challenge the students and play devil’s advocate. So, my original statement was not entirely accurate in that regard either, just in case everyone wants to jump all over that one too.

Back