University TA ‘Censured’ After Playing A Clip From A Debate About Transgender Pronouns

Earlier I disagreed with her when she said “all points of view are valid...” I actually thought about that a bit more and don’t completely agree with what I said either. In college, that is really the time any point of view should be heard. However, I think it’s dangerous to say all points of view are valid. Some are less valid than others. But she’s right that in college, they should be considering every point of view. That is the time for that. Hell, we had an Econ professor who said that slavery was a good thing because America wouldn’t be where it was without it.

It is the professor and TA’s job to challenge the students and play devil’s advocate. So, my original statement was not entirely accurate in that regard either, just in case everyone wants to jump all over that one too.

You are right there, it's definitely not true that all points of view in college are valid. But they can still be considered in a reasoned sort of way, in fact that's probably the best way to deal with a 'harmful' point of view, discussing it, explaining why it is incorrect (if it is). Not by pretending it doesn't exist (not that I'm saying you suggested that or anything). Uni is a place for debate and discussion.

Yeah, I did’t read that correctly or something. I love how everyone patches onto that and not my main point just because they want something to grind their axe against. My point is, either way, this was no reason to suspend the TA, which i’m Sure everyone arguing with me would agree with, regardless of what the TA said.

Hell, if she had said all trans people should be slaughtered, most people here would still say she shouldn’t be suspended, so I am confident that everyone agrees she should not have been suspended for this.

I think because most people agree that she shouldn't have been suspended. The other thing you said just stuck out like a sore thumb so it was going to get a lot of responses.

I don't know why you had to throw that second paragraph in there though. That's basically taking a pot shot at everyone for no real apparent reason.

Hey Canada,

Go fuck yourself.

Yours truly,

Free Speech

Back