UFC-USADA loophole could be letting chosen athletes avoid testing in secret

Lets keep it real. If the UFC can push a waiver through for Brock Lesnar, there is probably nobody USADA is going to raise an issue with.

If a 280lb pro wrestler, with really low body fat for that size doesn't make someone at USADA go, "hey, letting this guy compete without going into the testing pool is a problem," then I cant think of any instance where they stand up and say 'not that guy.'

indeed.

And if Ronda suddenly decided to fight, as long as she was tested before the fight, probably nobody would even notice or care.

For instance, she went 8 months without being tested in 2016 and then got tested almost 4 months to the day prior to the Nunes fight (it was a 4 month RTP period then). Although USADA stated to Marc Raimondi that she did not leave the pool at any point.

Iain's main argument is that

a) if a fighter leaves the testing pool it should be made public so that everyone (including future opponents) is aware
b) that the decision over waivers should rest with USADA and NOT the UFC

I would agree with both

Where there's Money there's corruption it's a law of life

yes, if you want a company that help portray the idea you are clean without publishing any details of number of tests conducted, who was tested and when, then VADA are your people. :D

Imagine if UFC went with Vada and 2 years in, nobody has any idea who has been tested, how many times they have been tested, nobody would take the program seriously.
But that's the thing, people who cared about it now regret usada as it takes away the best fights.

All usada does is prove what anyone with a brain knows.... Athletes juice.

Each time you give blood you can basically take a couple weeks off your lifespan.

So I don't blame people for not wanting to be tested when not fighting.

Umm.....what??

Also, bullshit.

We need more loopholes imo. USADA is still way too strict.

Conor didnt go 7 months without being tested.

So do USADA

IRMS (isotope ratio mass spectomatry) is also employed by USADA. I dont know where on earth this story comes from that they dont. (Actually I do.. was Victor Conte). And IRMS is primeraly used for the detection of exogenous testosterone. So no, its not only VADA that do it. BUT we dont know how often VADA do it because THEY DONT PUBLISH ANY DATA WHATSOEVER.. On the other hand, I can tell you EXACTLY how many samples USADA submitted to IRMS every year..

This is utter bollocks. An athlete can have a T/E ratio of 1:1 and be doping.. An athlete can have a T/E ratio of 6:1 and be clean. Youve no idea what you are talking about. This is where the biological passport comes in. Fighters levels of various factors are monitored constantly. This is how Jessica Penne got caught.

And a low t/e ratio is not a violation under WADA and never will be. Its a sign to more testing, or target testing. And yes, USADA 1000000% does have procedure in place for athletes with T/E ratios of 1:4.. it would include GC/C/IRMS or target testing..
so, you are finally ready to put Jeff in the UFC camp?, instead of an anti-doping fighter.

Conor isn't going to fight again... right guys???

First the TLDR version

basically, if an athlete retires they leave the testing pool. On their return they have to serve 6 months in the testing pool before they can compete

HOWEVER

THE UFC have the power to waive that 6 months should they wish, NOT USADA. So its entirely in UFC's hands (although if USADA kicked off and had a big issue with it UFC might back down)

The root of it all is "Is rousey retired".. dana says she is being tested by USADA which clearly isnt true

its Eight (Iain say "about ten")

The eight are

Alberto Mina
Geane Herrerra
Josh Barnett (suspended)
Maximo Blanco
Nick Diaz (suspended)
Ronda Rousey
Ruslan Magomedov (suspended)
Zubaira Tukhugov (suspended)

(that is the eight that have been contracted for the ENTIRE of 2017 and not been tested - ie. those in the same situation as Ronda)

Nick Diaz had 3 previous positive test with the state commissions. can he get the lifetime ban?

DEXATI20160805121626.png

Nick Diaz had 3 previous positive test with the state commissions. can he get the lifetime ban?

nope

prior suspensions being taken into account generally only applies to substances that are "prohibited at all times" and where they have had a fair hearing and it could be argued that Nick's hearing was far from fair. In fact, the lab in Utah didnt even flag his samples as testing positive.

for a prescribed, non-performance enhancing drug.

Anti-doping is supposed to be about fair play, not about state commissioners playing mommy and daddy to grown men.

nope

prior suspensions being taken into account generally only applies to substances that are "prohibited at all times" and where they have had a fair hearing and it could be argued that Nick's hearing was far from fair. In fact, the lab in Utah didnt even flag his samples as testing positive.

That kangaroo court was ridiculous. I suspect Pat Lundvall got her jollies from emasculating men who could easily kill her. If you cried at your hearing, your suspension was cut in at least half.

If you asserted your right against self-incrimination however, 5 year ban. Its like they didn't realize they were a government agency asking potentially incriminating questions or they never read the constitution.

When I see the utter lack of professionalism and decorum in that body, it makes me realize that nepotism and appointments as political favors must be prevalent. Nobody who was actually qualified to do that work would conduct themselves that way if they were accountable to anyone.

Last edited:
The issue is that through 'retirement', fighters get removed from the testing pool. In that instance, the fighter, USADA and the promoter know that the fighter is out of the testing pool, but the public and his next opponent do not. It creates a possibility for selective standards with millions of dollars on the line. Brock pissed hot pre-fight. Vitor pissed hot prefight. In both of these instances, the fight wasn't cancelled and in one of the instances, it is verified that the UFC knew and didn't cancel the fight.

Fighters can retire and unretire at a whim without the public or their opponent knowing about it. The UFC doesnt release an updated roster and USADA doesnt release the list of fighters in the testing pool and any status changes (like retirement).

So as of now, a fighter can 'retire' secretly. Then go on a year long PED binge. Then unretire, rejoin the testing pool and fight 6 months later, or just get a waiver from the UFC and fight in a month. Under this scenario, neither the public, the athletic commissions nor the fighters opponent would have any idea that the fighter just came off a year of being certain that they wouldnt be tested.

Tl;dr even if its never been used, there is a systemic loophole that would let the promoters and antidoping agencies selectively choose which fighters are and arent allowed to use PEDs without breaking any rules and without informing the public, the commissions or the fighters opponent.

With the amount of money potentially on the line, transparency is important. Both UFC and USADA are claiming to be very transparent about drug testing procedures, but neither will release the list of fighters who know they wont be tested.

To be fair, brock had never tested positive before, and even when he did the tests came back after the fight. He still passed all the ones they recieved back beforehand.

Awful look for the UFC and USADA. I'm starting to buy in fully to Max kellerman saying that USADA can be bought. Frustrating because I wanted to believe that USADA was a good thing for the sport but it increasingly seems it just isn't the case. Drag them all before congress I say, Dana and Tygart.

you would imagine they would be corrupt but they always bust the ufcs top guys. so i dont think they are,

GSP came back from retirement looking like a fucking gorilla.

The UFC are probably selecting who to make an example out of by the way of USADA. Jones was a big one, probably because he is a pain in the ass for the company yet no one can beat him.

I wonder why is Cyborg getting such a long leash.
he looked like dog shit

i thought it was common knowledge that ronda took herself out of the testing pool after the holly loss. also, i think conor was tested for the floyd fight so i dont think he was out of the pool

Back