UFC needs to change the weight classes to 10 pound increments and make heavyweight no limit

Lol @ people saying it would water things down

Long term more athletes will be able to compete to their best ability because there won't be so many weight classes with retarded gaps between them. What we need most of all is 165/175 and a 205-235 division.

1- Weight classes
2- Incompetent judges

The UFC really needs to fix these 2 things asap.

nope:
a 320+ pounds DC would be a bad thing to watch, it will look like a documentary on Walrus

and heavyweight shouldn't be 265 cap off they should be able to weigh as much as they want.

And dont say that's too many weight classes, the reason people got mad at boxing was not the weight divisions it was the multiple champs in one division they have 4 different sanctioning bodies, back in the day it was only one belt and it was called the World Title in boxing, now they got WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO as the main sanctioning bodies and it prevents fighters from unifying because of fees and politics and different mandatory per sanctioning body.

in UFC it would be one champ of course per division.

The only thing more stupid than 10 lb increments is the idea every weight class has to end in a 5.

Weight classes should be built based off data, not random numbers that look good.

No, you're wrong. We need more divisions and champions. It will make the UFC more exciting.

The trend now is for champions and top contenders to fight once, MAYBE twice per year. We aren't getting enough title fights. More divisions = more title fights = more hyped champions. And with smaller differences between weight classes, we will see more champion vs champion superfights.

I'm 100% for this. Every unintelligent, uninformed moron said the same thing about adding 125, 135, and 145. Hell, there was even arguments about bringing back 155!!! Granted 125 has been pretty boring, but 135, 145, and 155 have all produced dynamite fights over the years. More weight classes is a good thing.
No sorry I’m right. Those are all examples of going lower in weight and adding weight classes that didn’t exist that lose. You guys are talking about splitting up legitimately fine weight classes. It’s silly, especially given how anemic some of those divisions are right now. And even with your example, we could probably do away with one of the 3 lower divisions and widen the gap. There really aren’t a lot of legitimate contenders at 125 and 135

There’s always going to be fighters that don’t fit in perfectly into a weight class even with 10lb intervals. You can’t suggest we just keep breaking shit down until everyone fits in perfectly

Lol @ people saying it would water things down

Long term more athletes will be able to compete to their best ability because there won't be so many weight classes with retarded gaps between them. What we need most of all is 165/175 and a 205-235 division.
yeah chances are they probably heard someone bitch and moan years ago and it has been implemented in their brain

it wont water down shit there is only one title per division the main complaint in boxing was 4 titles in one division too many champions

adding a few more weight divisions and fixing them to ten pound increments will bring in more talent and many fighters have already stated if they had a 165 or 195 division they would be perfect there.

I actually think the weight classes are fine. When you look at fighter's actual weights, you find they run pretty uniform. Being a little lighter than your opponent isn't always a disadvantage; for some guys, they actually perform better against the heavier guys. There are very few fighters who can carry significantly more lean mass than the others in their weight class and not be seriously handicapped by the water cut. Those guys get the benefit of their size, while lighter cutters get the benefit of coming in healthier, closer to 100% and likely having greater longevity.

Many of the biggest cutters are just bad dieters who carry extra fat in addition to muscle.

The thing about weight is that it isn't constant. There's no objective, static "weight" for any fighter. From what I've observed after many years is that the best HWs are usually smaller. The best LHWs can compete at HW (and the current HW champ is a guy who was quite fat at LHW). The current MW champ is a former WW. One of the greatest LW champions ever is a guy who walks around at 155 and could probably squeak down to BW if he really had to.

I would change my mind if every champ was a ridiculous hulk and guys who weren't 20+ over the limit come fight time couldn't remain competitive. I would even change my mind if medical problems due to weight cutting were not so rare. I would also change my mind if I could think of even one fighter who would be a champ but is too small for one division and too large for the next, but I can't think of anyone like that in the 15 odd years I've been watching. But in the vast majority of cases, the fighters make weight and are healthy, and the competition seems very fair, and the trend nowadays seems to be skewed toward less weight cutting and more fighters moving up to revitalize their careers than down -- and with generally positive results too.

It just seems like a much ballyhooed problem that isn't nearly what some people make it out to be. Adding and changing weight classes would throw the sport into a chaos in the short term, and I don't see it changing anything for the positive long-term.

Heavyweight should weigh as much as they wanted?

is that a joke?
no why do they put a 265 limit on it but in boxing you can weigh as much as you want even in Japan MMA they let heavyweights weigh as much as they want. if a heavyweight wants to weigh 215 pounds he can if he wants to weigh 260, or 280 he can, why does UFC put a limit of 265?

Holyfield 6 foot 2 and 212 pounds versus 7 foot 2 and 325 pound Valuev, Evander got robbed in this fight.
6a00df35230a9788340105369009c9970c-pi

TS declared that the UFC "needs" to implement his idea, without justifying why they need to do it.

As for the merits of the idea, I'll take a pass. UFC cards are already too watered down. The last thing we need is to split up existing divisions to create more of them. There simply isn't enough depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back