UFC needs to change the weight classes to 10 pound increments and make heavyweight no limit

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and heavyweight shouldn't be 265 cap off they should be able to weigh as much as they want.

And dont say that's too many weight classes, the reason people got mad at boxing was not the weight divisions it was the multiple champs in one division they have 4 different sanctioning bodies, back in the day it was only one belt and it was called the World Title in boxing, now they got WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO as the main sanctioning bodies and it prevents fighters from unifying because of fees and politics and different mandatory per sanctioning body.

in UFC it would be one champ of course per division.

Just have two divisions.

500lbs Heavyweight Division
200lbs Lightweight Division

Agreed but I would be sad to see 170 absolved

The sport is diluted enough as it is. It’s just not big enough for more weight classes. If there was more than 1 top org and both were as full as the UFC I would agree with this wholehearted.

Although perhaps there should be a heavyweight and an open weight. Heavy could be 206 to 235 and then after that it’s all crazy.

How about this:

The UFC has 6 mens divisions - 145/155/170/185/205/265

The WEC is brought back and has 125/135 mens and all the womens divisions.

Anyone with brain understands that

No Limit

Remove FW asap and maybe keep 140 division untill TJ moves up or retires.
Weight-in before entering Octagon, -50% purse to opponent if missing weight by 3 lbs or less and lose by disqualification if more with a loss in record and win for opponent.

I agree that we actually need more weight classes. More weight classes = more undefeated "hyped" champions, and more chance of title fights actually happening. In addition, smaller differences between weight classes would lead to more superfights between champions.

If the UFC implemented this idea I'd be very happy.

No it doesn't

Gtfo

Sorry your favourite fighter will never be champ

This weight cutting is insane and must be addressed. I think that, in combination with smaller increments between weight classes, is ideal. There's too big of a jump between classes. I want more two division champs, more interesting match ups, less guys cutting 40 lbs.

Idiotic idea if you add any division. Look at the bloody talent pool. It’s just not deep enough.

Openweight. Let's stop fucking around and get down to reality.

I would like to see dehydrating banned and have everyone grouped into larger classes:

140-165
170-195
200-225
230+

Anyone with brain understands that
No Limit

Remove FW asap and maybe keep 140 division untill TJ moves up or retires.
Or go the semi-boxing route and have 10lb increments. There are plenty of good fighters who suffer from being in between classes. More belts, more title fights. The problem is fighters not understanding its sports entertainment.

Name one high drawing FW before Conor, there were none. It takes talking the talk and walking the walk, with that walk being exciting to make stars.

MMA isnt a fucking olympic sport. People like Conor get this. Title defense numbers mean nothing to paying viewers. DJ, Stipe, Barao, Aldo, had shit drawing power even though being undefeated so long.

Casuals buyers like exciting fights, drama, storylines, and "title" fights.

Hardcore mma fans dont want to admit this, its the nature of the game.

No that’s retarded. We don’t need more watered down divisions and we don’t need even more champs than the 29 champs they have already. Part of the ufc’s appeal that made it popular in the first place was knowing that the champ was a rare individual who was truly a unique badass mfer. It doesn’t feel that way today. Especially not when they throw on interim champ fights for the slightest delay in a title defense and add a belt on the same day they start a division up without actually building a division

This weight cutting is insane and must be addressed. I think that, in combination with smaller increments between weight classes, is ideal. There's too big of a jump between classes. I want more two division champs, more interesting match ups, less guys cutting 40 lbs.

Unfortunately more weight classes won't necessarily prevent guys from cutting extreme amounts of weight.

You have 10 pound intervals at 125-155, and guys like Renan Barao and Alex 'Cowboy' Oliviera continue to try and cut extreme amounts of weight to fight at smaller weight classes. Oliviera missed 155 so many times the UFC basically banned him from fighting there.

Extreme weight cutting can only be stopped by in-cage weigh-in targets. Fighters should not allow to weigh above the limit of a higher weight class in the cage. In other words, if you fight at 125, you shouldn't be allowed to weigh more than 135 on fight night. If you do, the fight goes on, but you are ineligible to win any titles, if you are the champion you are stripped of your title, and you forfeit 20-30% of your total pay, including bonuses and PPV cut.

That way people will fight closer to their natural weight, so they know they will be below the limit walking into the cage.

No that’s retarded. We don’t need more watered down divisions and we don’t need even more champs than the 29 champs they have already. Part of the ufc’s appeal that made it popular in the first place was knowing that the champ was a rare individual who was truly a unique badass mfer. It doesn’t feel that way today. Especially not when they throw on interim champ fights for the slightest delay in a title defense and add a belt on the same day they start a division up without actually building a division

No, you're wrong. We need more divisions and champions. It will make the UFC more exciting.

The trend now is for champions and top contenders to fight once, MAYBE twice per year. We aren't getting enough title fights. More divisions = more title fights = more hyped champions. And with smaller differences between weight classes, we will see more champion vs champion superfights.

I'm 100% for this. Every unintelligent, uninformed moron said the same thing about adding 125, 135, and 145. Hell, there was even arguments about bringing back 155!!! Granted 125 has been pretty boring, but 135, 145, and 155 have all produced dynamite fights over the years. More weight classes is a good thing.

Unfortunately more weight classes won't necessarily prevent guys from cutting extreme amounts of weight.

You have 10 pound intervals at 125-155, and guys like Renan Barao and Alex 'Cowboy' Oliviera continue to try and cut extreme amounts of weight to fight at smaller weight classes. Oliviera missed 155 so many times the UFC basically banned him from fighting there.

Extreme weight cutting can only be stopped by in-cage weigh-in targets. Fighters should not allow to weigh above the limit of a higher weight class in the cage. In other words, if you fight at 125, you shouldn't be allowed to weigh more than 135 on fight night. If you do, the fight goes on, but you are ineligible to win any titles, if you are the champion you are stripped of your title, and you forfeit 20-30% of your total pay, including bonuses and PPV cut.

That way people will fight closer to their natural weight, so they know they will be below the limit walking into the cage.

I agree. Day-of weigh ins should be a thing. If you're 10 lbs over, no title fight. 15 lbs over, % forfeiture of pay.

Nope, the UFC is already devaluing their titles enough with nonsense title shots and interim belts

Let's not make it worse by making so many belts being UFC champion becomes meaningless

Back