President
@Blue
Reaction score
UFC Fight Night: Cory Sandhagen vs. Robert Font

UFC Nashville

https://twitter.com/search?q=#UFCNashville&src=typed_query&f=live

Umar Nurmagomedov pulled out

Cory Sandhagen vs Rob Font, 5 round main event at 140 pound catchweight

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/bouts/780205-ufc-fight-night-cory-sandhagen-vs-rob-font

https://fightodds.io/odds/4751/ufc-fight-night-sandhagen-vs-font

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/101342-ufc-fight-night
https://www.tapology.com/forum/threads/73973

August 5, 2023
6:00 PM eastern

Umar Nurmagomedov pulled out

August 5
https://fightodds.io/odds/4751/ufc-fight-night-sandhagen-vs-nurmagomedov

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/101342-ufc-fight-night
https://www.tapology.com/forum/threads/73973

Cory Sandhagen says it's been "relayed" to him that his fight against Umar Nurmagomedov is a number 1 contender bout for the 135 bantamweight title

Cory Sandhagen:

"Hey, I know you guys saw the announcement. I am fighting August 5 against Umar Nurmagomedov. I’m getting a lot of haters saying, ‘Why would you fight this far down in the rankings?’ He’s going to beat my ass, blah, blah, blah. Two reasons: One, Umar is a great fighter, and I’m not trying to be world champ if I’m not the actual best in the entire world. So fighting Umar is a great challenge, and I accept it. And No. 2? Because I’m a beast, betch, that’s why. Peace, I’ll see you guys in Nashville. Yippee ki-yay, motherfooker...... Everyone still thinks I suck at wrestling, even though, when you think about it, I can't really think of a time outside of the Aljamain Sterling fight where I was on my back for longer than maybe five or 10 seconds. The time where I think I was on my back for the longest was against TJ Dillashaw and I ripped his knee in half. So everyone still thinks my grappling isn't that good. The Dagestanis kind of have this aura of being these superhuman people still, and that's like, not true. They're just doing different things that people haven't picked up on yet. I have a really good and smart team of coaches to help me navigate that, and then I also have a decent amount of training partners from that type of world that can also help me get really good at it too. When I read comments, I’ll scroll through and really only read the nice ones, and the second I get to a mean one I’m like, ‘Ah I don’t want that dumb stuff in my head,’ so then I stop reading them. I do recall reading a few that were like, ‘Oh you’re going to get outwrestled, blah, blah, blah.’ But at the same time, I don’t think that anyone can really name a time outside of the Sterling fight where I was on my back for long. I also think that what the Dagestani fighters have done better than anyone else isn’t take people down, it’s their ability to hold people down that’s made them different than like American wrestlers or the wrestlers that have been in the UFC before. I think that the Dagestanis just figured out how to hold people down a lot better, which makes them look like a lot better wrestlers, which in MMA does make them a lot better wrestlers. So I think that you just have to know what’s going on in fighting, and I definitely know that I’m a pretty knowledgeable martial artist at this point. I think that I’m a very good fighter, and I think that I’m a very good thinker, and I think I’m definitely coming up with some really good ways to combat everything that I think Umar is going to be able to throw at me.”

upload_2023-7-9_11-20-22.png

UFC Nashville: Cory Sandhagen vs. Umar Nurmagomedov, August 5

Cory +175 vs Umar -205 seems more accurate

Last edited:
Will be playing Cory at these odds.

I probably will too. He's the kind of guy you want to bet on as a dog in a 5 rounder. Huge workrate, great cardio, capable grappler that won't quit. Well rounded and tough as hell.
Umar is the real deal but so is Cory.

If this keep up until fight week it's gonna be glorious....

I probably will too. He's the kind of guy you want to bet on as a dog in a 5 rounder. Huge workrate, great cardio, capable grappler that won't quit. Well rounded and tough as hell.
Umar is the real deal but so is Cory.

I think Cory and late round props will be hooge

Anyone else surprised that Kennedy is only -140 against Jacoby? Injury maybe?

https://fightodds.io/odds/4751/ufc-fight-night-sandhagen-vs-font

Action Jackson is recharged:
https://mmasucka.com/2023/07/21/rec...to-finish-billy-quarantillo-it-wont-go-all-3/

https://www.tapology.com/fightcente...ght-billy-quarantillo-vs-damon-action-jackson

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/1b0d5e65fdfc62cf

Damon Jackson, 34, had a 4-fight winning streak snapped in January when he was knocked out by Dan Ige. Since he began his 2nd UFC stint in September 2020, Jackson is 5-2.

Billy William Daniel Quarantillo, 34, knockout loss to Edson Barboza in April. Over his past 6 fights, Quarantillo is 3-3 with alternate wins and losses.

Damon Jackson. Switch stance. Following a 1st round knockout loss to Topuria in 2020, Jackson seemed to decide he liked being the hammer more than the nail. Jackson used to be a tricky submission fighter who struggled to get his own takedowns; and, instead, welcomed others to get him to the mat where he could scramble and find the neck or the limb. That strategy, while it proved successful for a while, requires his opponents to lead the dance and puts him in danger until he can secure a defensive submission- risky. Now, though, Jackson has lived up to his nickname “action.” Rather than baiting opponents, Jackson has 180’d into a fighter who brings the action from the opening second of the fight. He looks to swing big on the feet as he blitzes across the cage. His striking is wild but powerful, designed to create chaos or clip an opponent clean. If he doesn’t find the flash knockout, Jackson uses the chaos his striking creates to get ahold of his opponent and grind against them. Like Ige, Jackson’s gameplan revolves around pressure. He tries to force his opponent to make a mistake where he can quickly capitalize and find the finish. This constant pressure, striking and grinding against the cage, requires Jackson to have great cardio and a willingness to put himself in danger. “Action” has both in spades. But, that fan-friendly style where Jackson blitzes, overwhelms, and looks for the mistake to find the finish comes at a cost. Against technical strikers, Jackson gets hit a lot. His striking tends to be wide and he swings from his hips. So, fighters with a strong jab and fundamental straight punches can find success countering him as Jackson rushes forward. Similarly, Jackson can trust in his submission game too much and be controlled for long periods of the fight. Nevertheless, unless he is put out, which has only happened once in the UFC, Jackson is dangerous as long as he is conscious. Jackson is a dog, through and through. The man does not have an off switch in the cage, and unless he gets finished, Jackson will keep coming and coming, fighting and fighting, and trying and trying to win until the final seconds of the match. Jackson is typically a ground-centric fighter, finishing 15 of his 21 wins by submission. His jiu-jitsu is solid from top or bottom position, but he excels when he can take his opponent’s back and look for a choke. Whether Jackson is the one initiating the takedown or getting taken down himself, he’s just happy to be grappling.His wrestling chops are solid, but against fighters with solid takedown defense or other wrestlers, Jackson struggles to land his shots. In fights against similar or better wrestlers, like this fight against Sabatini, Jackson tends to strike wildly on the feet, looking for a club and sub; or, if he swings and hits air, he’s happy to invite a takedown. Once down, Jackson weaponizes his cardio and never stops pivoting, shrimping, or sprawling. He is in constant motion on the mat looking for a reversal or defensive submission. The issues Jackson has faced have come against skilled strikers and intelligent wrestlers who have a high-level understanding of jiu-jitsu. These wrestlers are able to hold Jackson down, rack up control time, and not fall into one of the traps he sets. Because of his cardio, though, fighters who want to wrestle Jackson for 15 minutes are typically in for a long 15 minutes.

Billy Quarantillo is a dangerous fighter both on the feet and the mat, but the underlying threat everywhere is his pressure. On the feet, he stands relatively square because he wants to move forward at a constant pace behind combinations on both sides, he throws his punches with a bit of a loop to them, and his straights come over the shoulder which can sometimes expose his head as he follows his hands. He also utilizes great low kicks, which break down the movement of opponents that are already being sapped by his gas tank, Quarantillo has no qualms with taking some punishment as long as it means he gets to inflict his own. However, while he has become especially famous as of late for wars with Shane Burgos and Gabriel Benitez, where he largely stood and traded, his black belt is legit. He is a very good scrambler and if but on the bottom, will quickly look to roll for leg locks to finish or in order to get to a sweep or 50-50 position and escape. Ultimately his best work is when he can catch the back in a scramble and he immediately always looks to cut one leg across the belly and secure a full body triangle without a single thought of the hooks, which allows him to maintain back control once he secures it. He is in constant motion, which allows him to often beat his opponents to the transition, making him difficult to hold down, but this constant movement both on the feet and the mat does mean he isn’t always the most technical fighter in the cage, moving into shots when he otherwise would have avoided. Quarantillo, or “Billy Q,” is one of the most gritty fighters on the roster. He has excellent cardio, one hell of a chin, and a will to push through adversity like few others. In each of his fights, Quarantillo shows that he can not only withstand punishment but thrive despite it. He faces that punishment in most fights because he is often a step behind athletically, not the most polished striker, and his takedown defense is inconsistent. Quarantillo has to often overcome the lack of natural gifts in the cage and rely on toughness, cardio, and pressure to win fights.That is not to say he is without skill. Bill Q has a black belt, is good on the ground on top and from his back, and can pile up damage on the feet through relentless volume. His typical game plan is to pressure, pressure, and then pressure some more. No matter what comes back his way, Quarantillo looks to drown his opponent with a constant mix of striking, grappling, and clinch fighting. No matter where the fight goes, Billy Q is comfortable and is capable at inflicting punishment. The knock on him as has always been a lack of athleticism and he faces one of the most naturally athletic fighters in the division.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the odds are so close on Tucker vs Lopez? seems to me Tucker should go through him.

Ode Osbourne is a gift at these odds IMO. Asu has one big padded record.

Ode Osbourne is a gift at these odds IMO. Asu has one big padded record.
Padded idk more like regional level guys with wins. He has a lot of subs and a decent guillotine, Ode already loss to guillotine to Kellerher. there is the risk of a sub there.

Cant trust Billy Q as a favorite, lost to Gavin Tucker via grappling ctrl, how far is Damon from repeating that same success.

That was such a weird fight. Billy Q who's been a cardio machine in basically every other fight that's gone deep...weirdly just looked exhausted by mid round 2 in that fight with Tucker. I don't know if that was a complete one-off or what.

Billy **should** be able to drown Damon with pace and volume and imo is a good enough counter wrestler to keep it standing. But...just like you I'm gunshy. Have to think about it more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back