UFC is killing the sport spirit

ernestventures

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a long time sherdog reader and always had the desire to post and join conversations about MMA. Unfortunately, I will have to start with sharing some frustrations I had.

I think the UFC is killing the sport for pay per views or big events. I was very disappointed when they let Volk fight against Islam without proper training. Wasn't Gamrot was available? Why not put Gamrot and make a fight with Volk when both fighters are proper trained? Volk was the best champion UFC had back then, and could continue to make more history in the sport.

And for last, I thing belal is boring too, I would not like him as a champion, but come on, but give him the fckn title shot! He deserves. How many fighters beat the entire division to get avoided by the champions or matchmaking? So many examples, bisping avoiding Yoel... Alvarez avoiding Khabib... Cejudo cherry picking Cruz, that makes the title holder a clown and not a champion. I think now it's lacking a real champion status, a lot of fighters got the belt by favorable circumstances.

In hindsight, the days of Condom Depot and Rick's Tire Barn actually had the spirit of bushido.

But after decades of poor choices fueled by dick pills and cocaine, Dana has devolved into a Cisco bathing wife-beating trashbag that gets hyped watching adults with a 3rd grade education take turns slapping each other in the face for a few hundred bucks.

Formal welcome to Sherdog my friend
Yeah that 2nd Volk fight was frustrating to see. We all know Volk could of done so much better, but he stepped up to the challenge on short notice so respect for that. Might of fucked his chin and career in a major way though

It’s not about the best fighting the best anymore, otherwise the number 1 contender would always get the title shot.

It’s about the champs sitting on their belts as long as possible, taking time off, ducking contenders, dreaming about second belts, fights where you got nothing to lose and just to gain.

And ofcourse everyone picking the easiest fights for the most possible money and claiming it’s about legacy.

We are lucky to have a few fighters left, who are ready for any challenge and willing to put on a show for us fans. That’s the reason I still follow the sport.

Volk fighting Islam and then Topuria in a short time frame is all on him.

Dana's lack of artistic creativity is def hurting the game though. Im still annoyed with his take on Michel Pereiras dance

I love that Volk's attitude, both from him and Izzy. Another reason for UFC to not risk a fighter with that mindset just to make a event sell. Volks could still make a lot for the sport. And they had Gamrot anyway. I really don't get, the only reason is to maybe desperately sell ppvs.

I got disappointed by the UFC recently, really looks like they are more into casual public than long time followers. Or worse, that they are only for casuals.

Let alone the BMF belt, despite I think more belts would be good and interesting, like a "2024 finisher champion" or whatever, who knows. I think it's a joke to make a belt for Nate Diaz fight just because of his popularity.

Dana's lack of artistic creativity is def hurting the game though. Im still annoyed with his take on Michel Pereiras dance
Maybe Volk vs topuria is all on him. But he fighting Islam on short notice it's not. Sometimes matchmakers have to matchmake and not fighters.

I love that Volk's attitude, both from him and Izzy. Another reason for UFC to not risk a fighter with that mindset just to make a event sell. Volks could still make a lot for the sport. And they had Gamrot anyway. I really don't get, the only reason is to maybe desperately sell ppvs.

I got disappointed by the UFC recently, really looks like they are more into casual public than long time followers. Or worse, that they are only for casuals.

Let alone the BMF belt, despite I think more belts would be good and interesting, like a "2024 finisher champion" or whatever, who knows. I think it's a joke to make a belt for Nate Diaz fight just because of his popularity.
I think the slap stuff has to do with it, ever since this got traction the MMA side of things seem to be on the back burner.

I have come to terms that meritocracy is largely gone from the UFC. Took me a while to accept that to be perfectly honest. When you get past that and just watch fights for fun, it’s not so bad. It is sad, but at the end of the day we are all still here. Many other orgs out there as well, give them a try if you haven’t already, especially ONE.

Hey guys. I am a long time sherdog reader and always had the desire to post and join conversations about MMA. Unfortunately, I will have to start with sharing some frustrations I had.

I think the UFC is killing the sport for pay per views or big events. I was very disappointed when they let Volk fight against Islam without proper training. Wasn't Gamrot was available? Why not put Gamrot and make a fight with Volk when both fighters are proper trained? Volk was the best champion UFC had back then, and could continue to make more history in the sport.

And for last, I thing belal is boring too, I would not like him as a champion, but come on, but give him the fckn title shot! He deserves. How many fighters beat the entire division to get avoided by the champions or matchmaking? So many examples, bisping avoiding Yoel... Alvarez avoiding Khabib... Cejudo cherry picking Cruz, that makes the title holder a clown and not a champion. I think now it's lacking a real champion status, a lot of fighters got the belt by favorable circumstances.

Gamrot is unknown and boring fighter, can't waste PPV on him.

They offerred Volk life changing money to take that Islam fight. In a loss Volk earned nearly as much as Islam.
Their previous fight was around 1.5 mil from the googles.

The UFC probably killed one of their greatest fighters by catering to the Saudi audience who would have accepted Islam fighting some random LW again.
They had better hope Ila becomes a longstanding champ and Islam racks up some big wins.
I don't think we are too far off seeing Max back with the FW belt or Charles/Gaethje or Poirer winning the belt after an early retirement from Islam in the next 12 months.

They could have saved the Volk/Islam rematch and I reckon it would have been one of the biggest selling PPVs in history, if they both picked up another win in between.

FIGHTERESTIMATED TOTAL PAYOUT
Islam Makhachev$2,542,000
Alexander Volkanovski$2,392,000

O'Malley avoiding Merab also really sucks for the sport. Also they should give Topuria to Movsar

Last edited:
Maybe Volk vs topuria is all on him. But he fighting Islam on short notice it's not. Sometimes matchmakers have to matchmake and not fighters.
Volk said he voluntereed and campaigned for that short notice fight. Even said after that it was a bad idea because he wasn't ready at all after binge drinking.

Love Volk. Terrible decisions on his part.

They offerred Volk life changing money to take that Islam fight. In a loss Volk earned nearly as much as Islam.
Their previous fight was around 1.5 mil from the googles.

The UFC probably killed one of their greatest fighters by catering to the Saudi audience who would have accepted Islam fighting some random LW again.
They had better hope Ila becomes a longstanding champ and Islam racks up some big wins.
I don't think we are too far off seeing Max back with the FW belt or Charles/Gaethje or Poirer winning the belt after an early retirement from Islam in the next 12 months.

They could have saved the Volk/Islam rematch and I reckon it would have been one of the biggest selling PPVs in history, if they both picked up another win in between.

FIGHTERESTIMATED TOTAL PAYOUT
Islam Makhachev$2,542,000
Alexander Volkanovski$2,392,000
Damn. Didn't realize Volk got that bag

What always gets me is how the promotion has structured the system and convinced the talent that it's their job to do the promoting.

I have come to terms that meritocracy is largely gone from the UFC. Took me a while to accept that to be perfectly honest. When you get past that and just watch fights for fun, it’s not so bad. It is sad, but at the end of the day we are all still here. Many other orgs out there as well, give them a try if you haven’t already, especially ONE.
This!
But it is not easy to accept, I still struggle with it a bit. It helps if you don’t care anymore who is the ”champ” as the belts are mainly a joke nowadays.
The UFC creating matchups to please special crowds, hyping up athletes and creating paper champs to farm certain fanbases. Treating the fighters unequally, some are almost forced to quick turnarounds and fight with injuries, and other ones can sit out and wait for favorable matchups.

Who thinks this still is a org, where best fight the best? 😂

For me as a grappling fan, ONE is great. (I do watch the other fights too, but love the grappling matches).
Even the Fight Pass Invitational has more credibitilty and sportmanship while being still very entertaining, compared to the regular UFC shit show.

Lightweight is a deep division, but Islam has not defended his belt against a lightweight yet. All the contenders stalled out, waiting on the sidelines or fighting BMF fights.

What always gets me is how the promotion has structured the system and convinced the talent that it's their job to do the promoting.
Maybe they just convinced you

Back