UFC Antitrust Lawsuit: Damages Set (By Plaintiffs) at $1,600,000,000.00

The owners behind WME are very powerful. This lawsuit was in the press prior to the sale.
I cannot imagine the billionaires & the legal teams involved in the sale would let that slip.
I know some SDers think Ari & Patrick bought UFC on a whim, but the people who make up over 50% & the people behind WME are serious players.

They have a very solid in house legal counsel

look up some of the cases they've litigated (plaintiffs waiting much more than 1.6 billion left with a big bag of nothing)

They have a very solid in house legal counsel

look up some of the cases they've litigated (plaintiffs waiting much more than 1.6 billion left with a big bag of nothing)

I'm not even going that far (actual trial)
I'm talking liability from the purchase
Too many multi-billion dollar minds & legal teams looking at the sale & pending litigation for it to slip by.
Plus it was news prior.

I didn't say that they shelved contenders...I said talent.

If you sign 100+ WW fighters and have them fight very few times, while the contenders get most of the action that is a shitty system. Of course once the lawsuit was launched, suddenly they started to trim the roster and stopped matching contracts.

Zuffa did exactly that. Hell, even Dana kept saying that they had too many fighters a while back. Curb your emotions and trying to read for context and comprehension before wailing.
But that's not the allegation in the article. The allegation in the article is that the UFC was locking up headliners. The direct quote:

Singer also makes the case that because the UFC was able to lockup such a large share of the “Headliners,” not only did competitors have trouble booking successful events but could not develop new “Headliners” since those were made by facing and defeating current headliners.

Using the logic in that quote, what would be the possible rationale for the UFC to lockup non-headliners? The answer: There isn't.

I'm not even going that far (actual trial)
I'm talking liability from the purchase
Too many multi-billion dollar minds & legal teams looking at the sale & pending litigation for it to slip by.
Plus it was news prior.

Its a hard argument to make on the contracts -- no matter any way you look at it they continued/used the contracts that were in place with zuffa and honored the terms and conditions (payment amounts etc)

Its a hard argument to make on the contracts -- no matter any way you look at it they continued/used the contracts that were in place with zuffa and honored the terms and conditions (payment amounts etc)

The lawsuit is for a certain time prior to the sale

Short attention span fools think the class action lawsuit was no longer a thing because it's not referenced in social media every hour.

Imagine the impact in this new TV deal negotiation period and beyond if the UFC is hit a with billion dollar verdict.
They will get hit with a billion dollar verdict when a donkey cures cancer and comes up with a formula to reach warp speed on the same day

obviously WME and its counsel saw this lawsuit as a joke otherwise the UFC purchase would have looked very different.

Who are the plaintiffs?
P19-110727-85.jpg

Joe_Son_mugshot.jpg

ChrisCondo_UFC.jpg

Josh+Haynes+IFL+Las+Vegas+W_EUNl0W7yll.jpg

you know , all the amazing talent that the UFC didn't let reach their $1.6 billion potential

This lawsuit is going nowhere.

The owners behind WME are very powerful. This lawsuit was in the press prior to the sale.
I cannot imagine the billionaires & the legal teams involved in the sale would let that slip.
I know some SDers think Ari & Patrick bought UFC on a whim, but the people who make up over 50% & the people behind WME are serious players.

I agree, but I don't like to speculate on legal matters even here.

Even if they got the full amount how much would go to the fighters, and who decides how much what fighter gets?

Is it like Reebok if you had x amount of fights in the UFC during these years you are able to claim 10k per fight?

Fascinating in terms of whether fighters might at some point receive a share of revenue more comparable to similarly profitable sports. Or whether plaintiffs can establish they've been restricted from other opportunities.

Are plaintiff's lawyers working on contingency? Has the class been certified? Any other procedural status?

There's compelling arguments on all sides. As usual, often embellished by extreme rhetoric and memes.

No don't be silly
Your post was insightful, the Zuffa mistake is a common one on here
Most call the Lorenzo-era Zuffa

Always appreciate your contributions man
Funny to think I'll be taking the bar this year. God help the clients.

Really? Congrats & good luck
Graduating out of a top 15 school having paid $0 tuition, not counting grey hairs and CoL, so I'm pretty stoked.

Never ceases to amaze me how much shit there is to learn.

<NotListening>

Back