UFC Antitrust Lawsuit: Damages Set (By Plaintiffs) at $1,600,000,000.00

Can you provide a real world example or hypothetical?

Serious question. Your post was interesting.

That's pretty much what this particular lawsuit is alleging. As far as other examples, I honestly can't think of any and hadn't heard the word "monopsony" prior to this whole thing! Might be interesting to look into, though

What´s more important; are Uncle Frank and Renz safe in this case?

That's pretty much what this particular lawsuit is alleging. As far as other examples, I honestly can't think of any and hadn't heard the word "monopsony" prior to this whole thing! Might be interesting to look into, though

I hadn't either.

noun, plural monopsonies.
1. the market condition that exists when there is one buyer.

Can you provide a real world example or hypothetical?

Serious question. Your post was interesting.

An example would be a non-compete agreement that isn't limited in time, region and scope. Say you agree to work for a widget company for one year in a certain area for 100k. It would be reasonable for the agreement to include a non-compete clause where you agree you won't open a widget company within sixty miles from that place of business for one year. It would be unreasonable (and unenforceable) for the clause to say something like 'You agree to not open any business in North America in the next twenty years.' It would unduly limit your freedom to earn a living once you've left the widget company.

Part of the lawsuit settlement is to sign Fedor in 2007 to agreeable terms.

That number seems a little high. Without the ufc (promotions, publicity, etc) , I doubt all of MMA would be work half that. UFC drove bellator to have to compete with pay, just like bellator makes the ufc compete with pay. Legal question: can Dana and the Fertitas be held financially responsible if it can be proved that they were aware of the possible damages before the sale?

That number seems a little high. Without the ufc (promotions, publicity, etc) , I doubt all of MMA would be work half that. UFC drove bellator to have to compete with pay, just like bellator makes the ufc compete with pay. Legal question: can Dana and the Fertitas be held financially responsible if it can be proved that they were aware of the possible damages before the sale?

Probably not.

I think its the shelving of talent that is the real kicker here. There have been a lot of WMMA fighters (especially in the 115 class) that were hired and then shelved for long periods of time. I know there was a period a few years ago when they had almost 130 LW fighters and were NOT putting on 65 LW bouts a year or even close.

Its not the revenue sharing percentage that's going to be the sticking point in this one, its the collecting fighter contracts like baseball cards and then locking them all away. We want our fighters to be full time, but when they are on the shelf and begging for a fight for months I cant see how they can focus on MMA and feed themselves. I'm sure the UFC made assurances about 'timely manner' in their negotiations, but I have no idea if that is reflected in the contracts.

Back