UFC 221 PPV buys ‘substantially lower’ than numbers returned for Miocic, Cyborg

Not trying to be some type of way but in what other sport do you watch women and men competing in the same sport on the same telecast?

MMA is not like some other sport though. Heck, it is closer to pro-wrestling, but without a script.

And guess what?
Pro-wrestling does have women. and they even main event it (if I am not mistaken, I have not watched it in decades).

This card was full of bangers. Which matchups were shit again? Not the biggest names but tons of fun fights.

besides romero/rockhold and tuivasa none. and tuivasa was expected to win and he did.

I'm far from a misogynist, and have long defended WMMA on ths site. But it is a fact that the overall skill level in WMMA is atrociously low. Outside of a few top female fighters, WMMA isn't PPV worthy.

give time to WMMA. im sure in a couple of years WMMA can improve. but in the mean time i agree with what you said.

Romero isn’t a draw

Only sherdogs “athletic body scouting department” cares about him and hypes him up.

give time to WMMA. im sure in a couple of years WMMA can improve. but in the mean time i agree with what you said.
I agree and overall I like WMMA. But for $65 dollars for five fights? Most female fights aren't worth that right now.

Let's say it did around 130 to 150K, that's above the rock bottom baseline that Mighty Mouse or Amanda Nunes normally hits. Those show clear around 2 million dollars in profit so this did better than those normally do with a much higher gate. OH and they jacked up PPV prices.

In other words, WME-IMG is probably more than fine that an interim title fight with no star power made them a more than respectable profit.

i agree. with FP buys and overall gate, any profit WME can get is good for them.

I agree and overall I like WMMA. But for $65 dollars for five fights? Most female fights aren't worth that right now.

not to mention most fights are worse than any male mma fight. not bashing the girls but, facts are facts.

headline was another fake belt fight. All 100K or whatever was probably almost 100% bars and restaurants that order all of them.

MMA is not like some other sport though. Heck, it is closer to pro-wrestling, but without a script.

And guess what?
Pro-wrestling does have women. and they even main event it (if I am not mistaken, I have not watched it in decades).
I would agree with you that the UFC is similar in production to wrestling. But I watched pro wrestling a lot as a kid from about 87-00 and I don't remember a single women's match during that time in WWF or WCW. I know this is a thing nowadays but pro wrestling was pretty popular in those days and I don't recall any women's matches whatsoever...

Good job guys. It seems like you’ve stopped
Buying everything.
The fans have been constantly overpaying for shit cards for many years. I suppose I can’t blame the ufc as people were buying.

A lot of new fans over the years So they don’t Have a standard for a card. That’s all I can think of why people would consistently buy a lot of these cards.

And guess what?
womens pro wrestling is actually much better than wmma.

I would agree with you that the UFC is similar in production to wrestling. But I watched pro wrestling a lot as a kid from about 87-00 and I don't remember a single women's match during that time in WWF or WCW. I know this is a thing nowadays but pro wrestling was pretty popular in those days and I don't recall any women's matches whatsoever...
Well, you might not recall, but it is a fact they are there (or why is is that there are so many women pro-wrestlers?)

A quick google search: Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte - WWE Women's PPV Main Event
I recall a lot of other matches. Tag teams, etc...

I never followed WWE (or old WWF, WCW, etc) closely, but for decades I've seen (ads or commercials) about women's matches...

womens pro wrestling is actually much better than wmma.
To quote the sage Diaz, "I am not surprised"...

they've been around for much longer and they do not need to actually be good... only athletic, good looking and know how to act///

cyborg/holm card made the ppv because of khabib/barboza. who would pay if on the card were only cyborg/holm without any other relevant fight?

Well, you might not recall, but it is a fact they are there (or why is is that there are so many women pro-wrestlers?)

A quick google search: Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte - WWE Women's PPV Main Event
I recall a lot of other matches. Tag teams, etc...

I never followed WWE (or old WWF, WCW, etc) closely, but for decades I've seen (ads or commercials) about women's matches...
I said "I know it is a thing nowadays" in my post. I'm also saying I don't remember it being a thing between 1987-2000. I could be wrong but I don't think you have provided any evidence to support that at this point.

real numbers were probably around 80k

476487.jpg

Back