UFC 198 - Curitiba - Werdum vs Miocic

Status
Not open for further replies.
you concerned that hall might be a bit gunshy, tho? he's done it before multiple times, giving rounds/fights away

That is exactly why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on Hall, he can be so off, and he is fighting his idol like he said. Really hard to bet big on Hall for me.

But got damn Bisping nearly finished Silva. If Hall is game he will run over him imo.

In terms of pure technique his last opponent was a very good striker, better than Lineker... but of course wasn't close in terms of chin or experience. If the fight was in America I'd definitely take Font at the current line, but it's going to be tough for him to win a decision in Brazil, especially against a brawler, and also tough to finish. It should be close, though.

I'm not saying Linekar isn't kind of a brawler (because he is) but his technique (esp offensively) really is pretty good. His fight with Bagautinov specifically is a good example of how fantastic a body puncher Linekar is. Linekar lost that fight but my guess is Ali was pissing blood for a few days after that one Linekar landed a lot of BIG body shots in that fight. Punches to the body go somewhat unnoticed in MMA but Linekar lands them and he lands them with power.

People's thoughts on Lineker/Font O1.5 rounds at +110/2.10? Aggressive dudes but at 135 wouldn't most go over?

Man I was so confident in Werdum but watching tape on Stipe he's really stylistically the type of guy to give Werdum problems. A lot of people have brought it up here and they are right. He's athletic and moves better than most HW's. That's key for avoiding the clinch. He boxes well and has a good wrestling base to keep the fight standing.

Werdum is the better all around fighter and should win but I do think the saying "styles make fights" has at least some validity in MMA. And Stipe is THE style to give Werdum problems.

I can understand the argument of being able to stick and move giving Werdum problems, but doing that successfully for 5 rounds? It's just weird to me to see people say Werdum is clearly the better overall fighter and the more dangerous finisher, yet they are still eyeing Stipe in a 5 round fight in Brazil. Especially when people also say they favor some biased judging. I can understand the argument if Stipe was steep + odds, but these odds are pretty close.

I can understand the argument of being able to stick and move giving Werdum problems, but doing that successfully for 5 rounds? It's just weird to me to see people say Werdum is clearly the better overall fighter and the more dangerous finisher, yet they are still eyeing Stipe in a 5 round fight in Brazil. Especially when people also say they favor some biased judging. I can understand the argument if Stipe was steep + odds, but these odds are pretty close.

Completely agree

Fedor was trying to attack without landing in guard. Werdum was very mobile on the ground rolling through to trap Fedor. That submission was a lot slicker than people give credit for. He basically trapped his arm and used it for leverage to roll his hips/legs into position to catch the triangle.
Ok, this is a difference in nomenclature. In BJJ/sub grappling you are in a guy's guard if he's on his back and at least one of his legs is between the two of you. The configuration is irrelevant. De la Riva guard is very far removed from closed guard but is still considered "guard".

I dont remember the Yancy v. Makdessi fight. I know I was on Makdessi. What happened though, anyone recall?
Robbery imo, I thought Makdessi was landing much more effectively.

I don't like props (not sure if I have mentioned that before). I always look at the props you post and scoff ...but man they really do hit a fair bit. Gonna try and get back into betting props after hitting Reza r3.

Great picks Jae keep em coming!

Im also on Hall NSC and Vitor r1.
There's plenty of great props out there. Problem is the limits are too low for bigger bettors.

Sergio is an 4 time jui jitsu world champ btw, was only 2 years ago he was subbing Neil magny,
Moraes is one of the few guys in MMA who is actually a BJJ world champion...but "only" 2x not 4x. Mike Goldberg and Jon Anik overuse that term constantly. Similar to "All-American wrestler".

Can't touch Hall vs. Silva. Seems like a totally unpredictable fight.

Do most like Font here? I don't know how people can go from loving Rivera vs. Lineker to not playing Font at steeper + odds.

Just looking at Hall's record, interesting that prior to losing to Whittaker his previous 3 losses were all by split decision.

I would have a hard time betting Hall heavy in this fight as AS still has strong defensive skills even though his reflexes have diminished.

Also worth mentioning that AS has never been caught with a big kick (that I can remember). Generally kicks are easy for him to evade it was always a barage of punches that gave him problems.

I see most likely outcomes as follows:
1. AS dec.
2. Hall KO
3. AS KO
4. Hall dec (this aint happening)

PS. I like Font small as a dog

Cummings seems to mostly shoot blast doubles which will not be there against a southpaw. He more than likely have to be depending on a single leg that is out in the open unless he presses Nog to the cage.

lilnog is actually super had to take down with doubles.. you have to get him off-balance, switch it up, etc.. see the bader fight, for example. never came close on doubles. switched to singles/etc, started getting them

Do most like Font here? I don't know how people can go from loving Rivera vs. Lineker to not playing Font at steeper + odds.

because of what happened to rivera!

lineker for me. wish i did more -150, tho.

because of what happened to rivera!

lineker for me. wish i did more -150, tho.

I was one of the few on Lineker in that fight. I said Rivera would basically stand in the pocket with him and I'd take Lineker in a rock em sock em brawl. I don't think Font will fight that way. Honestly, even if he did rock em sock em, I wouldn't favor Lineker that much. He was getting tagged as well.

lilnog is actually super had to take down with doubles.. you have to get him off-balance, switch it up, etc.. see the bader fight, for example. never came close on doubles. switched to singles/etc, started getting them

Exact same thing happened with Davis too. He gave Phil Davis a lot of trouble in the first until he switched to singles. I think this fight could end up being interesting.

Yep you are both right I remember Davis having to switch to singles.

Didn't Shogun get takedowns tho? How did he secure them?
Bodylock. The only way I think he ever secures takedowns, even though he is very good at them from that position. Definitely the best way to go about getting Nog to the mat.

Cummins being a very high level wrestler + training at Blackzilians keeping my confidence high, even though I agree with Oblivian that this could get interesting and I wouldn't be all that shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back