U.S. Presidential candidate Andrew Yang been blasting UFC labor practices on social media

It was never going to be at that level anyway
Hopefully, someday, all fighters make enough to not have to work full time jobs (maybe a side job) not just the upper tier.

It will never be a major sport though (one of the big four in North America - nba, nfl, mlb, nhl) between Dana, Conor and the odd WTF CM punk moments it will never get there IMO.

Why not?

Boxing used to be 1 of the major sports in this country.

I think MMA could do the same. The PPV model is what keeps it from getting huge.

Game of Thrones wouldn't be very popular if you had to pay 60$ an episode.

Like many Democrats (apparently, including those with corporate experience), he seems to believe that companies must and can be saddled with obligations, and will continue working extra hard to profit through those obligations. What actually occurs is the industries either change, leave the US, or fail.

A rising tide floats all the boats. Forcing employee status on the UFC will just result in the UFC losing money, which in turn will lead to a shrunk roster, less events, and more focus on theatrics over fighting. This guy wishes to kill the Golden Goose, and I hope he wins the DNC primary so that my boy Trump can walk to his second term.
Lol, yeah, the UFC is just gonna leave the country. The UFC has been trying to keep fighter pay at illogically low levels for years, they just don't have any real competition so they still pay more than anyone else. It's a monopoly, but sports seems to escape that label. The 53rd best player on an NFL team will make more per year than the ~5th best fighter in a division, and half his income isn't contingent on winning, or seeking out sponsors (made harder by the Reebok deal). Some of the onus is on the fighters too of course, but there's no denying the UFC has been a scummy company for a long time.

Andrew Yang vs Andy Wang. Make it happen Dana!

UFC is a pseudo sport. Until it stops paying these poverty wages you will continue to see D and F level athletes compete.

WAR ROOM?
Why not?

Boxing used to be 1 of the major sports in this country.

I think MMA could do the same. The PPV model is what keeps it from getting huge.

Game of Thrones wouldn't be very popular if you had to pay 60$ an episode.

MMA would never have the level of appeal to be that big
Also thinking PPV is the reason it isn't is way off
There is a ton of free UFC that draws minimal interest. Same with Bellator.

WAR ROOM?

MMA would never have the level of appeal to be that big
Also thinking PPV is the reason it isn't is way off
There is a ton of free UFC that draws minimal interest. Same with Bellator.

That's like asking why current boxing isn't as big as it used to be. It takes more then just having a compelling sport. It has to do with marketing, and building hype.

You can't make your B product available to everyone, while keeping your A product accessable at a low cost of 1000$ a year, and think you will ever grow past nascar.

Lold way too hard at this. Let us know when the next world wide MMA tournament that involves all MMA promotions starts.

They tried that, Dana killed it thanks to fans not supporting it...WAMMA was the second and last time the sport had a chance to not only become legit in the eyes of the sporting world, but pave the way to being a real sport with actual competition. The first time was with PrideFC and the UFC being big and their trying for cross promotion fights.

The sport needs more promotions doing well or it will never get out of the gutter because White isnt going to do a thing to help the sport, only help crush it.

Dana says to him "You're a Goo(*) ball"

“I just found it disgusting, because the reason why it’s supposedly worth $7 billion is because they are underpaying fighters by a factor of four, relative to what they should be paying by any common sense standard,” Yang said. “And also by the standards of other major sports. So Dana White is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He’s like, ‘MMA is going to be the biggest sport in the world, MMA is the biggest thing,’ and then he’s paying people 10, 12 percent of revenues when every other major sport is paying between 47 and 51 percent.

“So, I just got angry about that. That Dana White is such a moron, honestly. Because if you’re going to exploit workers, you might want to keep that valuation under your hat. That to me is fairly common sense.”

Yang believes that White’s recent meeting with Donald Trump in the White House has played a part in the stalling of Smith’s case. Smith’s attorney Lucas Middlebrook has said that Region IV of the NLRB determined that Smith indeed had a case before the complaint was usurped by the NLRB general counsel in Washington, D.C. The NLRB has declined to comment on the case.

“UFC fans may or may not care,” Yang said. “A lot of folks at WME may or may not care. But a lot of these celebrities would care a lot. And a lot of these celebrities know that if it was the case that their fans knew that they were personally profiting from Donald Trump screwing individual fighters, like Leslie Smith, out of their livelihood, that would be a huge problem. Then they would look at their agents and be like, ‘What did you get me into?’”

The UFC declined to comment on Yang’s critiques and theories.
-------------------
Vote for Yang in 2020, make the UFC great again.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/...ang-blasting-ufc-labor-practices-social-media

I’m confused

What does Ja Rule make of all this

I am sorry but a tranny is more likely to be US President than an Asian named Yang.

He's totally right about the first part. Second part I don't know.

He's totally right about the first part. Second part I don't know.
I think he's more right about the 2nd aprt than the 1st. Dana White is filthy rich regardless, so maybe he isn't full on moron. Trump, meanwhile, is Trump, fully capable of making contentious decisions and skirting the law.

Back