Tyson says punching power is something you are born with

...bro. It's been sixteen years.

If you want to talk about "tendon power" as if it has any actually useful defined meaning you can make a new thread for it, surely?

Interesting video. It's quite the change of pace from the Mike Tyson I've seen online, which consists of explicit words and lewd acts (e.g. "I'ma f*** you till you love me f*****", not that I didn't enjoy that)

He’s actually not like that at all these days, and hasn’t been for awhile. Check out some clips from Hot Boxin’ his YouTube show. He’s super introspective and calm.

He is very much correct in some regard. There is a reason a guy like Conor as skinny as he is can KO people falling over or walking backwards while a strong man like say Sean sherk couldn't have KOed my grandmother.

You'd think there would be some consensus on this by now.. based on legitimate sports science.. but no.

That would be too easy and too good for the community, so of course nobody bothered to reach one.

He is %100 right, there is no other explanation for this superhuman power

He is %100 right, there is no other explanation for this superhuman power
Mike actually was very technical. Until .....

Punching power by fans usually is described as raw " power ", while there are multiple variables in the game to achieve KO....
Precision. Very important part of game and there ......it is what it is.
Timing. Especially worth for counter punchers...
Opponent's washing out before setting up stuff when you risk more.
Opponent's provocation to do certain things in order to setup stuff.....

Some boxers ( especially former high level ams ) feel comfortable to score UD wins without risking too much .... some needs to show power at least by scoring enough KDs...
Some doesn't trust judges cards and slowly are washing out opponents in order to get stoppage ( for example Beterbiev ).

I had once posted one video with perfect precision for solar plexus punch. Dennys H Pedersen vs Boris Sinitsin. One guy had posted one link to one Inoque fight ....excellent timing and precision examples....both very TMAish while in boxing souce.
For some other kind of punches I maybe will post some links later.

It's obvious in the video he can't explain the mechanics of how he did what he did? I don't know, I understood the mechanics he explained perfectly fine.

Actually, not anyone can build single-shot KO power. Not anyone. There is a such thing as genetic advantages, just as genetics determine oxygen uptake capacity that can determine how far and at what pace a distance runner can run, and those born with better uptake can run further and faster with less exertion, such is the same for fast-twitch muscle fiber strength and sensitivity.

A person whose capacity is genetically greater than another's is always going to have the advantage of doing more with less exertion. Basic biological make-up.
Until they start programming genes. Which is already here. And here’s the thing, you can learn to punch harder, you can learn to be faster, expand your lung capacity, and so on. Would you be able to do that to a point that you could beat those with the ability naturally? Not at the highest levels. Because they’re ceiling is already higher than yours. So, everyone is right.

You can increase the velocity of your fastball with technique and training, but chances are you simply don’t have the genetic gifts to throw a 100 mph fastball, no matter what you do. So it’s a bit of both.

Genetics give you your limit, and technique helps you reach it.

I've seen when brothers enter the gym and train the same. Sometimes, one will be punching like a mule after a couple of sessions whereas the other one can't drop a fly even after a year.

^^^ that was funny.

I disagree though. Don't get me wrong, Mike was a great boxer and knows a lot about hitting hard--but ask him to explain the mechanics of how he does it, and probably wouldn't be able to. It's obvious in the video.

Anyone can build power. Anyone. It's a matter of understanding yourself and where you need improvement--but most of all knowing HOW to achieve the improvement.

Ok why does Max Holloway never have power after 20 years and Mike Tyson had it from age of 17. It is natural but obviously gets refined trough training. On the flip side people who don't have power tend to have great cardio. That being said there are a lot of degrees of power and most people are on the spectrum and not max or minimal power.

Last edited:
Genetics give you your limit, and technique helps you reach it.

I've seen when brothers enter the gym and train the same. Sometimes, one will be punching like a mule after a couple of sessions whereas the other one can't drop a fly even after a year.

Brothers aren't genetically the same. Or did you see a bunch of twins ?

Brothers aren't genetically the same. Or did you see a bunch of twins ?

No, never saw twins.

Brothers have similar genetics but some wizardry in the their makeup means one has bricks for hands and the other has feather dusters.

I don't think science will ever be able to explain it.

No, never saw twins.

Brothers have similar genetics but some wizardry in the their makeup means one has bricks for hands and the other has feather dusters.

I don't think science will ever be able to explain it.

Brothers do not have similar genetics. You need to read. One might have extreme power the other super weak. Basic biology. Relatively similar yes. But a lot of variation. My brother weighs about 175 pounds, I weigh 255. Sure a lot of overlap. But it's different. Not trying to be a smartass. But it's kinda obvious.

Julian Jackson.

"Basically power is just given to you from the creator. But you learn through boxing form and technique how to deliver the power."

It's both technique and genetics. Having a significant degree of ferocity also helps, so summoning that is an added mental factor that contributes to power.

I hit harder when I'm channeling my anger, because I have more intent to do harm. The problem with anger, however, is that it can get away from you quickly. So focusing it should be a meditative practice one incorporates into their training if they intend to fuck with it.

Julian Jackson.

"Basically power is just given to you from the creator. But you learn through boxing form and technique how to deliver the power."

It's both technique and genetics. Having a significant degree of ferocity also helps, so summoning that is an added mental factor that contributes to power.

I hit harder when I'm channeling my anger, because I have more intent to do harm. The problem with anger, however, is that it can get away from you quickly. So focusing it should be a meditative practice one incorporates into their training if they intend to fuck with it.

Jackson was an absolute unit and his name always gets lost in a lot of boxing talk. One of the best power punchers of all time.

Back