Tyrone Spong LHW

The opponent was too scared to fight. Tyrone was so open, that a better opponent would have taken advantage of him. Kickboxing looks like it doesn't have good defense, especially in the context of MMA.
most (not all) kickboxers rely on the gloves for defense and don’t focus on head movement or defensive footwork as far as I can tell. That’s why they are easy to hit when they have small gloves in MMA, gloves makes a big difference but when you add the lack of defense it’s even worse. At least boxer practice head movement and footwork so they can theoretically handle the smaller gloves better but obviously there’s a lot of factors.

Spong lately stated he would fight in K1 again if they showed him the money. I think he said something like this about MMA as well. But clearly MMA org's won't offer him that amount of money.

Adrenaline and a little shock will do that.

I don't have a frame of personal reference. I once broke all of the metacarpals in my right hand and it felt like nothing, but I've never broken a tibia before (or whatever he snapped). I remember Silva looking none too pleased.

Sucks this guy didn’t continue with a few more mma fights and possibly be picked up by UFC or Bellator. He trained with Rashad Evans who could have helped with the wrestling.
Former K1 champ for those who don’t know.

5:45 those body punches. MMA debut btw.

Big fan on Sponge but he never won a K1 GP bro

Back