Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

beat the goat grappler and striker in division

I became a fan in SF. That wave of NCAA wrestlers that transitioned into MMA was pretty cool to me. When his striking got on point I was confident he'd get the belt. Sadly it took a long time and he'll probably fall off in the next couple years.

He was so many levels above his opponents, that's why majority of his opponent's sole plan was to survive to the bell. You guys should be upset with his opponents not trying hard enough. GSP was the aggressor and out worked every single fighter he's come across, but that's not enough. Such horseshit imo.

You saw what happened when a fighter fights to win vs. GSP. They get fucked up like Fitch or Condit.

And you see guys who don't want to be embarrassed and hurt like Hardy, Diaz and Kos.

GSP overwhelms opponents. His last two finishes at WW came from exactly that. Just swarming his opponent with offense. The guys at the top had the skill and toughness to endure and survive it. Weaker men would have been slaughtered.

He lost the killer instinct as he was scared of being caught. The Hardy arm bar is the perfect example.

I like and respect Tyron.
I just cant stand the whining.

He puts the least amount of effort into fighting I have ever seen from a champ

He lost the killer instinct as he was scared of being caught. The Hardy arm bar is the perfect example.

You're throwing shit against the wall, hoping something will stick.

Hardy said he wasn't in a fight with GSP, he was defending himself for 25 mins.

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

he doesn't think anyone deserves to fight him and wants to cherry pick who does fight him. its stupid. gone are the days of a champion like aldo who fights anyone and everyone

Yeah, like I said his striking got better. He's doing what GSP did, and beating the best fighters at their own game.

I just find it hard to believe anyone was turned onto Woodley at that point.

He was basically lay and praying and had no shame.

"I you don't want me to lay and pray, stand and strike. For me, its not a knock on the person taking you down at will, it's the person that's on the bottom who can't get to their feet. I don't let a grown man lay on top of me if I want to get up" - Woodley on Nate Marquardt
https://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/12/3078892/tyron-woodley-boring-nate-marquardt-strikeforce

he's not wrong. i also agree with him about how the game has changed and most fighters nowadays don't embody the martial spirit and it reflects in the sport and the culture.

Great av man

{<redford}

I just find it hard to believe anyone was turned onto to Woodley at that point.

He was basically lay and praying and had no shame.

"I you don't want me to lay and pray, stand and strike. For me, its not a knock on the person taking you down at will, it's the person that's on the bottom who can't get to their feet. I don't let a grown man lay on top of me if I want to get up" - Woodley on Nate Marquardt
https://www.mmamania.com/2012/6/12/3078892/tyron-woodley-boring-nate-marquardt-strikeforce
I dont care what you believe. People get invested in this for different reasons.

As a collegiate wrestler I was curious how these guys would do in MMA.

You're throwing shit against the wall, hoping something will stick.

Hardy said he wasn't in a fight with GSP, he was defending himself for 25 mins.

The arm was there to be broken and GSP couldn’t summon the minerals to do it. End of.

I dont care what you believe. People get invested in this for different reasons.

As a collegiate wrestler I was curious how these guys would do in MMA.

It seems like all the quality ones become lay and prayers in top position, gas easily and have to be conservative brawlers, similar to Hendricks.

It seems like all the quality ones become lay and prayers in top position, gas easily and have to be conservative brawlers, similar to Hendricks.
Cry some more. They became Champs in MMA too and its funny to me how badly that triggers you all.

Maybe if his title defenses were exciting, stopped playing the race card whenever something doesn't go his way, and stop demanding respect from the people based on the sole fact he's champ, then people would respect him.

Respect is not given, it's earned.
The race card mostly. His last three fights were lackluster snooze fests, yes, but he defended and fought to not lose. I'll give him respect when he drops his race card. he's been exciting up until WB and Maia.

Back