Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion." | Page 6

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Arm Barbarian, Jan 12, 2018.

1. SuperNerd World Junior Mode.

SuperNerd
    They move up and win another title.

Swing harder bro.

2. UhHuhSure Brown Belt

UhHuhSure
    And drop the belt and run when a worthy challenger steps up? Nah son, thats weak. The MW Champ was a joke.

3. SuperNerd World Junior Mode.

SuperNerd
    And never fought a #1 contender fight. Only the GOAT can do this kind of stuff.

rorschach51 likes this.
  4. UhHuhSure Brown Belt

UhHuhSure
    More like WWE

5. SuperNerd World Junior Mode.

SuperNerd
    Greatest of all time, if you smell what GSP is cookin.

6. Morning Star Black Belt

Morning Star
    As a champ I respect his accomplishments. He beat the top guys of the division (older guard). However he's been boring as fuck as a champ. Fights not to lose, puts almost zero effort into finishing or putting on a show. Then he complains about why nobody wants to watch him.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  7. Tactitus Black Belt

Tactitus
    Speaking for myself, I do respect him as a fighter and as a champion, I just don't like him. Don't like his personality and he's one hell of a boring fighter.

Plus, pushing for a fight with Nate was a bit weak.

rorschach51 and Arm Barbarian like this.
  8. Migdagen Blue Belt

Migdagen
    LMAO! You are gona get in trouble!

rorschach51 likes this.
  9. Rikishii Blue Belt

Rikishii
    Tryon was given a TS for doing nothing other than making weight and whining excessively. He put a bad taste in everyone's mouth from the start and now he wonders why people don't respect him. He's on the path to being likable now though. Although there were some serious cringe moments during that podcast.

Arm Barbarian and WARinsertname like this.
  10. Chefmmalondon White Belt

Chefmmalondon
    This guy hasn't beat anybody , he sat on the shelf for 18 months before he fought Robbie lawyer who came off two 5 Rd wars with zero time off , paper champ forsure , guy isn't even fit to hold and shine gsp's belt , Nate knocked him out.

11. TheIrishPsycho Black Belt

TheIrishPsycho
    Basically,

He's confusing respect for likability.

WARinsertname and Arm Barbarian like this.
  12. Willek Red Belt

Willek
    <GSPWoah><{smellit?}>

SuperNerd likes this.
  13. Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

Th3Sav4ge
    i agree with woodley 100%.

joe was schilling so hard it was laughable.

14. Arm Barbarian Steel Belt

Arm Barbarian
    That's kinda how I see it too.

Most fans respect his skills I think, they just don't find him particularly exciting.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. Rod Farva War Big Nog!

Rod Farva
    Recognized as the champion but not respected as the champion

16. kdday Purple Belt

kdday
    I hate on Woodley sometimes, but the guy has been active as shit as a champ, and been fighting number 1 contenders he isn't cherry picking, and he's a good guy, didn't take Kelvins 20 percent when he had every right to it, he seems like a genuine person

17. Franc Mittelo Purple Belt

Franc Mittelo
    One of the biggest problems is that Dana White continues to promote the sport as a "Bloody slop fest" entertainment.

So, the fans are not able to evolve to appreaciate the "tactical" and realistic approach to fighting. For example, if an NFL running back or wide receiver develops an uncanny ability to never get hit, the people who promote the NFL are not going to throw that athlete under the bus and say "he is a pussy who makes the sport look soft."

They are going to promote that athlete as a "genius" with an uncanny ability to avoid contact. And on the flipside, the athletes who are able to truck through people are going to be promoted as "beast mode."

That creates a fan base that is able to enjoy LeVeon Bell and Marshawn Lynch without needing to disparage one player or another.

The majority of the MMA Community (from the promoter, fighters, coaches, media down to fans) can only appreciate "Bloody Slopfest" fighters. Even GSP's point fighting was tolrate because he bruised easily, and often looked like a bloody mess, even in shutout performances. Because "blood" means good fight in MMA.

Dana White either needs to change his approach or WME needs to find a better promoter, because the "bloody sloppy" fighter will become extinct as more athletes start to gravitate to the sport, and the margin of error becomes smaller and smaller.

The UFC needs to start promoting all types of styles. If a guy is a boring point fighter, then promote him as a "chess master." Make videos like "The BJJ Scout" and get other experts to talk about why that fighter is so special. Educate the fans.

If the fighter is a Bloody Sloppy Fighter, then promote him as a "barbaric savage."

By always throwing tacticians under the bus, Dana White limits the range of what the fans can consider as a "good fight." He is essentially shooting himself in the foot, because those fighters are going to generate less money.

The guy sucks as a promoter, and I believe he limits the growth of the sport. The sport would growth much faster with a better promoter.

18. knock_you_out Red Belt

knock_you_out
    His two fights against Thompson and Maia, bored the fuck outta me and turned me against him. Apart from that, I have no problem with Woodley.

19. Gregolian .45 ACP

Gregolian
    He's almost suffering from what the Klitschko brothers suffered from in boxing for a long time.

One, they don't fight that almost reckless style that people had grown accustom to in the HW division and weren't knocking out guys left and right the way Tyson had done a generation prior and second the guys Woodley is fighting are the best in the division for him to fight now (props for him doing that BTW) but compared to past gens when the division felt like it was filled with killers even underneath of GSP....

20. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    Tyrone, I defended you many times. I think you're a great fighter and you have shown a willingness to be active and face the top contenders.

that said, when you tried to get a fight with Nate Diaz, you disrespected the sport and lost a lot of my respect. A fight like that should never even be discussed.