Tyron Woodley: Georges St-Pierre dropping to lightweight the ‘hugest b*tch move on the planet’

My point is this though....GSP doesn't have to even fight again. Would it be a bitch move for him to sit at home on a pile of cash? Or to come back and pick some fights he wants? I just don't get how him coming back and taking fights, is a bitch move. He isn't holding up a division. He isn't holding onto the MW Belt and fighting undeserving contenders. All he's doing is shopping around for the best possible fights....after a long career.

Why is Woodley so concerned with GSP? GSP used to be a WW, he was for a long time. He isn't anymore. End of story. He's not talking about rejoining the division and trying to regain the WW Belt. So why is Woodley even mentioning him? Like I said, when GSP was doing jackshit and sitting home and not fighting, was Tyron saying that was a bitch move. Because how is actually fighting anybody more of a bitch move than being retired at a young age?

And for the record, Woodley has opportunities to fight GSP. He took too long to come to the UFC back then though.

Agreed about the Conor thing.
Indeed.

I've said it many times. Had Anderson beat Weidman and retired and then said a year or two later "I have no interest in fighting at MW again. been there done that and achieved what I wanted to achieve, but if you guys want to see me fight again I would love to fight for the LHW and WW belts in two successive fights".

There would be zero reason to call that a bitch move and say he should just remain retired instead. He has proven himself at MW and if he wants title shots in the division above and below his to test his p4p might and the UFC wants to book them, what the hell is wrong with that.

Tyron is correct.

It requires mental gymnastics and overwhelming bias to find otherwise.

GSP's legacy will reflect that he ducked Woodley hard. Shame.

Completely different situations.
GSP has a bunch of unique things going on here that makes him incomparable to just about any other fighter. I gave you my example in Jon Jones.
If Silva had retired after front kicking Vitor's face...took years off..Weidman is the champ....and then somehow Jon Jones lost his belt to Pat Cummings, and THEN Silva says he wants to come back, he beats Cummings, vacates the belt, and the next time we hear from him he wants to fight Mike Perry...
You think Weidman should just be like "good for him"?
Again, it's Silva's choice, but why the hell are people not allowed to criticize him?

I don't personally think Bisping is an "easy" fight. He's a great fighter. My point is, GSP was silent UNTIL Bisping got the belt. And then he said he would defend the belt....which he did not, and hasn't talked about doing in the future.
That could be seen as a "bitch move" to some, especially if him going to 155 is true
Jones is the different scenario as he had not finished (retired) from LHW. He was forced out.

Had Anderson retired saying he was done with MW and had accomplished everything he wanted and was burned out and then years later came back but said he had no desire anymore to fight at MW but would fight for the LHW and WW belts to test himself I cannot understand the criticism he would get other that from haters or the MW's who might wat a chance to beat him to gain that legacy note.

There is a real arrogance to MMA fans who think a retired fighter owes them anything. GSP coming out of retirement could have said these are the only fights I am interested or I will stay retired, and then named 3-4 fighters by name. That should be perfectly fine. Either the UFC gives him those fights or they don't. This "dont't come back unless you are willing to do what we want you to do" is just normal fan arrogance from tards who think too highly of themselves. Honestly.

You have to judge GSP's situation with regards to him coming out of retirement and not looking to be a contender in any division. He does not need to do that again.

You have a weird view I don't think many would share.

If Anderson had beat Weidman and said "I am retiring. There is nothing left at MW that I need or want to accomplish" and then came back a few years later and said "I still feel I have nothing left at MW I need or want to accomplish but if people want to see me fight again I would be interested in a fight for the LHW and WW belts to round out my legacy".

There is no way I see people suggesting that is a bitch move and that Anderson should get back to fighting MW's or nothing.

GSP was completely burned out by his WW run and mentioned that well prior to the Hendricks fight that he was struggling for motivation anymore. So if what motivates him to come back is a chance to make history with runs at the MW and LW belts and solidify his GOAT case and P4P GOAT case then how people can complain about that is beyond me. I get that if you are a fan of someone else as GOAT you won't want GSP to succeed but other than that this is a great test.
I don't think my view is really "weird" here.
I'm a sensible guy, and i recognize your username,as a well as a few others in here from The Mayberry, and i generally agree with you guys on a range of other topics.
But Sherdog has a crazy hate for Tyron. Every time a Tyron thread shows up, regardless of what the guys says, everyone shits him on. He's not the most likable guy, but he isn't the shithead that Sherdog take him for either. So i wouldn't expect many here to share my view on the matter

Here's the thing though, that is not the full story. A key part of the story that you're leaving out is Anderson coming back to fight a fluke champ, saying he will defend the belt and then vacating. .and then talking about fighting someone like Mike Perry at WW.
Anderson wouldn't have to fight at MW again, but it would be odd for him to unretire and not say something about the division, or the champion he hadnt faced. Part of what GSP also said, beyond the stockmarket stuff, was that he wanted to fight "the best".
Amazing how he only came to that epiphany when Bisping won the belt.

Only on sherdog is a defending MW champion, who started as a successful LHW & that defeated a GoAT is garbage. And the WW whose fighting for the first time at MW cherry picked him( IIRC Dana wanted Tyron vs GSP but Maia happened along with Whittaker needing surgery). And another note is im loving how people are using the tyron needed surgery even though he fought Maia without it, yet are flat out refusing GSP could have colitis EVEN AS LW RUMORS FLY ABOUT.

Only on sherdog is being the first to accomplish 3 titles not legacy adding.

You can't make this shit up lmao. Stay logical Sherdog.

Sat out nearly a year, was calling out Nate freaking Diaz, but as soon as they mention a contender he's hurt again. They do make too many bs interim titles, but this one was made to pressure Woodley to stop ducking.

I've been saying these are money and legacy fights. Bisping: Money fight and he became a double champ. Very hard to legitimately criticize this fight. Diaz: Hasn't even happened yet, and if it does it's a money fight and a tune up fight for a guy that has NEVER fought at LW. After Diaz? We don't know for sure yet but probably a lw title shot. Nobody has ever been a three division champion. Acting like that isn't a major addition to his legacy is just silly. So ultimately ONE fight during an entire career that's a tuneup fight in preparation for a title shot.
Funny how much praise Anderson got for his tune up fight at LHW with Irvin. A true journeyman and no where near the fighter Nate Diaz is.

For years GSP haters were saying he should 'test himself' like Anderson did at the division above by taking a fight, any fight. Other people said it made no sense to take on a journey man at MW instead of fighting a rightful contender and better fighter at WW as GSP was doing. But that criticism continued.

GSP did not ask for the Diaz fight at LW but I could see why the UFC might want it to set up a much bigger fight for the winner.

Jones is the different scenario as he had not finished (retired) from LHW. He was forced out.

Had Anderson retired saying he was done with MW and had accomplished everything he wanted and was burned out and then years later came back but said he had no desire anymore to fight at MW but would fight for the LHW and WW belts to test himself I cannot understand the criticism he would get other that from haters or the MW's who might wat a chance to beat him to gain that legacy note.

There is a real arrogance to MMA fans who think a retired fighter owes them anything. GSP coming out of retirement could have said these are the only fights I am interested or I will stay retired, and then named 3-4 fighters by name. That should be perfectly fine. Either the UFC gives him those fights or they don't. This "dont't come back unless you are willing to do what we want you to do" is just normal fan arrogance from tards who think too highly of themselves. Honestly.

You have to judge GSP's situation with regards to him coming out of retirement and not looking to be a contender in any division. He does not need to do that again.

We're talking hypotheticals, but i could have been more clear, I suppose.
Inwas trying to use someone that had a similar stature as GSP.

LOL arrogance? Nobody is saying "GSP do this or dont come back "
You guys are sugar coating the shit out of the situation and why the criticism is happening.
If GSP came back and said he wanted "these 3 fights" that would be fine. But he's been talking a lot of bullshit about "fighting the best" , and making false promises. If he doesn't want to fight Woodley ,he should just say it...instead. .

Tyron is correct.

It requires mental gymnastics and overwhelming bias to find otherwise.

GSP's legacy will reflect that he ducked Woodley hard. Shame.
I doubt it.

Woodley can cry all he wants but no one wants to give him a money fight, the UFC doesn't even want to give him one and it's not because they're racist. He has no appeal to the masses and will add nothing to draw PPV buys.

Funny, how he wanted to make Nate fight at WW but the idea of GSP going down to LW to fight a LW is a bitch move, I think Woodley's racist.

Now if Woodley had cleaned out the division and was a fan favourite, a match with GSP would make sense.

Indeed.

I've said it many times. Had Anderson beat Weidman and retired and then said a year or two later "I have no interest in fighting at MW again. been there done that and achieved what I wanted to achieve, but if you guys want to see me fight again I would love to fight for the LHW and WW belts in two successive fights".

There would be zero reason to call that a bitch move and say he should just remain retired instead. He has proven himself at MW and if he wants title shots in the division above and below his to test his p4p might and the UFC wants to book them, what the hell is wrong with that.
Exactly. This entire debate makes no sense at all to me.

You have a weird view I don't think many would share.

If Anderson had beat Weidman and said "I am retiring. There is nothing left at MW that I need or want to accomplish" and then came back a few years later and said "I still feel I have nothing left at MW I need or want to accomplish but if people want to see me fight again I would be interested in a fight for the LHW and WW belts to round out my legacy".

There is no way I see people suggesting that is a bitch move and that Anderson should get back to fighting MW's or nothing.

GSP was completely burned out by his WW run and mentioned that well prior to the Hendricks fight that he was struggling for motivation anymore. So if what motivates him to come back is a chance to make history with runs at the MW and LW belts and solidify his GOAT case and P4P GOAT case then how people can complain about that is beyond me. I get that if you are a fan of someone else as GOAT you won't want GSP to succeed but other than that this is a great test.
He's doing what most fans WISH fighters would do, but still getting shit on. The man is 37! People act like he's some young gun or something. I said this before but what are most 37 year old fighters doing? Coming out of retirement to become double champ, then moving towards becoming the first ever triple champ? No. They're either already cut and in Bellator fighting cans (and losing to them), or they're losing every other fight struggling not to get cut and trying to get bonuses.

Yet GSP is still adding to his legacy, after every other rival he had for GOAT status has been in steep decline for years. H'es doing things nobody has ever done and people still hate. Completely unreasonable.

Exactly. This entire debate makes no sense at all to me.
People just hate on gsp. Either because he beat a fighter they like, they found him boring, or because they're a fan of some other goat contender and they're mad gsp is burying them all while past his prime.

I just did. You on the other hand...
no, you did not.
It is a yes or no question.
I said that GSP ducked SIlva.
You claim in return that if that is so, Silva ducked Rua.

So you think both ducked?
yes or no.

I have repeatedly said that GSP is free to do what he wants. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't do anything. What i have been saying is that he is not above criticism. You, and others seem to think he is for some reason.
Conor can proclaim he is just about money, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean other fighters don't get to criticize him

And i don't know why we're bringing up the entire histories of Tyron, Silva, and whoever else. We're talking about GSP.
And you guys keep bunching things together to try and make Tyron's criticism seem ridiculous. GSP is not getting criticized for getting an immediate title shot at 185. You're skipping the factors surrounding it. The retirement, him being the long reigning 170 champ, the choosing of a particular opponent to fight at 185, saying he would defend and then vacating, and now talks of fighting 2 classes below the one he last fought at...all of that is part of the criticism

With this 3 belt deal, it's just Dana/Rogan hype. How much a 3 division champ in MMA matters depends on who it is and how they do it, imo.
Im not a fan of GSP going from 185 to 155 to try and get a belt.
If he had went for 155 while he was a 170 fighter, and then came back to get 185, THAT would have been something.
Because your criticisms could be applied to any other fighter. Many of them are doing the same things he's doing, yet they've never solidified themselves as goat at their natural weight like he has. What's wrong with coming out of retirement to fight for the mw belt? Far lesser fighters than gsp have been gifted a shot. He got sick after the Bisping fight. Everyone ignores that or says he's lying when he's never ducked an opponent in his life. UC is no joke and there's no way in hell you can fight when it's flaring up.

Winning the lw belt is MORE impressive than regaining the ww belt when he's already ww goat. Again YOU might not be impressed by a three division champ, but you are most def in the minority there. Doing something nobody has done > doing something other people have done. It's as simple as that.

WTF you are calling Shields, COndit, Nick Diaz and Hendricks the NEW FIGHTERS rising???

Man stop making yourself look stupid.

You stated Anderson and GSP had both cleaned their divisions when Anderson started to FINALLY call GSP out for a fight. That is a flat out lie. Anderson had cleaned his division but GSP was just getting ready to fight Shields (his biggest WW fight) and had COndit, DIaz and Hendricks following.

GSP in no way had cleaned his division and had he moved up to fight Anderson and not returned to WW (as he said he would not bounce back and forth) you guys would criticize him for ducking the best WW.

YOu need to just stop lying.
True... but I only make myself look stupid by continue beating your GSP fanboys...
..everyone knows how insecure they are.

At this point who the fck cares. GSP is about 37 years old, he's physically past his prime and deserves to pretty much cherry pick his fights

People just hate on gsp. Either because he beat a fighter they like, they found him boring, or because they're a fan of some other goat contender and they're mad gsp is burying them all while past his prime.
This is the answer to 96.28% of hate in this thread. Who will scroll over answers on pages in this thread, and will literally try to regurgitate the same bullshit, just in a different sentence structure like that is supposed to present some new found evidence that hasn't been discussed.

It's the definition of insanity I tell ya.

Lie and false.

Anderson had no fights he was really looking forward to at MW and was talking about retiring. He was forced to just take the Belfort fight he did not want. Okami was next and a rematch with Chael and then Bonnar. None of these fights excited Anderson and there he announced he was looking at retirement and started to look for super fights. God for him. And I mean that. Why not?

GSP was in no where near the same situation. He had 5 title defenses which is good but not a high bar for other WW to surpass to make GOAT claims. Hughes has 7 title defenses at WW. Woodley will be at 5 soon. And GSP had arguably his four biggest anticipated fights at WW (outside Penn and Hughes) just in front of him with Shields (the only other viable WW GOAT at the time), Condit, Nick Diaz and Hendricks.

So just stop lying as you are embarrassing yourself by pretending GSP had cleaned his division and did not need to take those 4 fights. Those fights are one of the biggest part of his legacy.
the fact you can't accept that 4 years beating the top fighters didn't clean the division is an amazing thought.

Yes, I noted there would always be other fighters rising up or being added to the roaster.
No one EVER cleans completely a division, but that's you nitpicking definition.

Beside, it is highly hypocritical of you to claim "he couldn't put the division on hold" to fight at MW when he fought BJ penn TWICE while putting his division's top contenders on hold... and you obviously loved it.

Funny how much praise Anderson got for his tune up fight at LHW with Irvin. A true journeyman and no where near the fighter Nate Diaz is.

For years GSP haters were saying he should 'test himself' like Anderson did at the division above by taking a fight, any fight. Other people said it made no sense to take on a journey man at MW instead of fighting a rightful contender and better fighter at WW as GSP was doing. But that criticism continued.

GSP did not ask for the Diaz fight at LW but I could see why the UFC might want it to set up a much bigger fight for the winner.
I'm not even mad at Silva fans anymore. They just amuse me now. So incredibly illogical. Silva never fought for the lhw belt when he was a champ. Even when a lhw champ called him out he said no. But he's not a duck. Because he beat fucking James Irvin. So amazing. But gsp is a duck for not going up in weight at the exact time they felt he should. Nevermind that he hadn't cemented his legacy at ww yet and was vocal about wanting to do that before ANYTHING else. Nevermind that he had seen what happens when you worry about fights in other weight classes instead of defending your belt. He's the one that kicked Penn's ass when he came up, then saw Penn immediately decline and NEVER cement himself as lw goat.

Now he comes out of retirement WAY past his prime to beat the mw champ and he's ducking fucking Tyron Woodley. The same Tyron that was around for years while gsp was champ. Getting his ears boxed off by Jake fucking Shields. Tyron wants to blame someone, he should blame himself for being a low level gatekeeper the entire time gsp was champ.

You really are dumb and do not even know the history of the MW division.

When Anderson was calling out GSP prior to the Shield fight Weidman was not even on the radar as a title contender yet at MW. He had to win three more MW fights and even then Anderson and his team and guys like you were saying Weidman had not done enough at MW to deserve a shot and he would be an easy win and Anderson would get no credit. SO Anderson tried to duck Weidman which was smart as we know now how Weidman dominated Anderson before KHTFO.

But no the next crop of MW's were not yet ready and that is why Anderson faced Okami, a second Sonnan fight (he was desperate to duck) and Bonnar. Anderson was then trying to get Bisping and Diaz as he still thought there were no worthy MW's so he should have some fun fights.

Not the same situation GSP was in with Shields, Condit, Diaz and Hendricks all lined up.

Kid, next crop? really
they are fighters, not plantation.

There were always top ranked fighters. And plus, as we both agreed, unlike GSP, Silva moved up to save cards and fun fights. A thing you contend it was too much to demand this from GSP... after all, we know his limitation

Back