TV Show Thread (Trailers for Christopher Meloni's Happy! and Future Man) | Page 37

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, May 22, 2017.

1. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    (Halt and Catch Fire) Not really feeling the metaphor part but I respect it. For some reason I thought that was the season finale.

It was a nice quiet episode that allowed the characters to grieve in their own way. But sometimes I wished they'd manipulate us into crying more. I'm worried about Joe, he looked like he was on his way to a meltdown.

If Joe proceeds with the relaunch, he is going to make Yahoo or something similar to that. I'm not so sure what Cameron's future will be. Is it MMORPG?

2. Ippy Ik ben Groot.

Ippy
    Heresy. Top to bottom.

You even said you're only on the first episode.

3. Count Zero Cosme Fulanito belt

Count Zero
    Well, I did post in here instead of just writing the show off.

4. The Diplomat Silver Belt

The Diplomat
    Looks....interesting. Actually kind of high quality for SyFy, tbh.

Speaking of Meloni, I just watched the most recent Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later series. It was alright.

Dragonlordxxxxx likes this.
  5. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    It definitely isn't about being a good story.

It's a pretty mediocre story leveraging nostalgia.

6. Count Zero Cosme Fulanito belt

Count Zero
    FIGHT FIGHT FIGHTFIGHT

7. iThrillhouse Silver Belt

iThrillhouse
    Been watching the show This Is Us on netflix. Pretty solid sappy comedy drama. Got to epsiode 16 of the first season with no issues. But the 16th episode had me full on emotional breakdown level of tears.

Probably the most heartbreaking, gut wrenching episode of television I have ever watched that felt just too real for me to even handle.

One of the actors in Particular just does such perfect acting with his eyes that conveys just so much pain. I could only think of my father, and this episode just absolutely broke me.

I doubt anyone on SD watches this show, but man I feel like I just had an exhaustive therapy session or something

BUDDYLOVETT and Dragonlordxxxxx like this.
  8. Count Zero Cosme Fulanito belt

Count Zero
    Hrm, didn't realize it was a dramady, figured it was a straight-up drama. I've seen a lot of people talk about it, I might have to check it out now. What other shows would you, well, not necessarily compare it to - but other things you'd mention to compare/contrast ? For example for some reason I'm getting Six Feet Under vibes, and I really liked that show.

iThrillhouse likes this.
  9. iThrillhouse Silver Belt

iThrillhouse
    Yeah i guess calling it a comedy isnt quit accurate. It is a drama with a lot of humor in it,

I can’t say I’ve ever seen SFU, but this show kind of reminds me of the show runners movie, Crazy Stupid Love, mixed with Modern Family (very marginally tho) and some kind of heavy emotional family drama type show (which SFU might fall under categorically)

The show does a tremendous job at making you empathize with eachh character... like no decision goes without a background or a rationale that goes unexplained, the context of how and why each character is the way they are is laid bare in every episode so each episodes plot and the way our leads act, feels incredibly authentic (save for the patriarch of the family, who is too much super-dad to be real)

A lot of family tv shows lose my interest pretty quick, but ai genuinely feel attached to everyone in this show due to how much I empathize with them...

But jesus like I said, episode 16 actually destroyed me as a person. I dont think I’ve had a heavy emotional breakdown like that in years...

The show has many different family/relationship/dynamic issues that will pull at someones heartstrings each episode, because the relationships between each character on the show feel eerily relatable

10. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    wut

11. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    GET SHORTY season one finale

Everything worked out in the end except for Miles' situation with his family, which was sad. Really liked Chris O'Dowd's teary-eyed performance when he had to let his family go. It was also nice to see Miles' backstory in Ireland and how important movies were to him.

Yago sent a hitman to kill Miles but I think the hitman is still waiting on Bliz's go signal. And since Bliz died...

12. SidJustice Master of the world and the universe

SidJustice
    So I am halfway through American Gods, and I do not think I can make it the rest of the way.

Outside of Ian Mcshane, I find myself incredibly bored. Does it get any better, or can I tap out?

13. Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator

Dragonlordxxxxx
    Final Trailer for STRANGER THINGS Season 2

The final trailer for Stranger Things 2 is here. The world turns Upside Down on October 27.

14. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    Man, I wish I wasn't the only one in love with You're the Worst. Aya Cash is so damned good. Her character can be pretty unbelievable but at the heart of it there are sincere, perfectly expressed issues. I was worried about this season but man, I need to stop doing that and trust the writers, who are fantastic.

Great fucking episode this week. Completely out of the blue, ripped us right out of the story, but at the same time let us know this was always the story.

15. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    I'm probably going to power through season one soon.

I've been hearing nothing but good things.

iThrillhouse likes this.
  16. OMGstreetfight I like money

OMGstreetfight
    Crank made an art form out of breaking the rules and one of the two writers and directors from it is directing the series. The second ghost rider is a total guilty pleasure for me. This looks like it has potential.

Loiosh likes this.
  17. Fizzee Water Silver Belt

Fizzee Water
    Stranger Things is trash. Absolute garbage. It's just a pile of cliches stacked on top of each other. The story is awful, the writing is garbage. When the girl revealed she had telepathic powers and then got a nosebleed I threw my hands in the air and yelled "You gotta be kidding me!" So fucking unoriginal.

Let's talk about the lazy writing, we have the girl who is a mute and then suddenly starts talking out of the blue whenever it's convenient for the writers and they feel they need to progress the story. The Sheriff who literally punches his way through his investigation is one of the dumbest, most absurd side plots in recent memory. Linking the whole scientific aspect with D&D shit made absolutely no sense.

Winona Ryder's performance is honestly one one the worst I have ever seen in my life. Just atrocious. I felt embarrassed for her.

OOOH But's like 80's so it's good!! DERP

The Big Sloppy likes this.
  18. Left Hook Lacy Blue Belt

Left Hook Lacy
    I'm watching the 4th Inhumans episode right now. It's so stupid. What a letdown, god damn it. I will keep hate watching it, though.

19. Count Zero Cosme Fulanito belt

Count Zero
    I'm in the middle of episode 4 now. I commented on it earlier when I was just through with the first ep. I maintain it's more about mood than story. That's not a knock by me and I don't think it's a bad show

Fuck, Netflix is smart. They literally know exactly down to the second what people like to see on their screens and that's what they give you. But I think they're basically the WWE of drama ... more focused on moments than on plots. I mean of course the're not making the stories but obviously they only throw money at things they want.

Like, your points about the cliches in Stranger Things ... they're intentional. This way they can build a "mysterious" world that still feels comfortable and familiar.

I ... know how this show will play out. It goes about 3/4 seasons before it ends and people complain it died too early, before they answered the questions, hailed eternally. Because, just like with Sense8, Netflix will cancel it before it completes its world-building. Or just after. But before it needs to start answering questions.

idk, again, just on ... well, episode 5 now, I forgot I was writing this lol ... maybe the arc of things changes the last half of the season here.

20. Loiosh Detective

Loiosh
    So I got sidetracked and watched Mindhunter.

Just got around to This Is Us, and holy hell, man, this show. Seriously, what a cast.

iThrillhouse likes this.