TUF is so irrelevant

I don't watch them, but Tuf is like any other group of new or up and coming fighters. Some will make it, some won't. I'd watch them if I watched more TV, but its just something I rarely sit down to do.

The only difference is some of the fighters come in with a higher profile than others that make it without tuf.

Otherwise, its just another venue to see new fighters trying to make it.....ignore the show, but watch the fights if the format bothers anyone.
which regional promotion has produced more top 10 fighters than TUF exactly?

The vast majority of top UFC fighters are non-TUF. Therefore, TUF is not necessary. Clearly the best fighters are for the most part being signed in other ways. Do you think a guy like Dodson wouldn't have made it into the UFC anyway? He definitely would have.

TUF sucks, end it. Put on a 1-hour Embedded style show once a week. That'd be cool. TUF doesn't build stars anymore, but maybe profiling current UFC fighters on a weekly basis would.

I've never watched a season of TUF in my life, only caught a fight here or there of people I've heard could be prospects.

I don't know anyone who follows TUF. But the world is a big place and there are thousands of channels and programs. Somewhere, somehow someone finds an interest in something and is watching it.

I don't know anyone who follows TUF. But the world is a big place and there are thousands of channels and programs. Somewhere, somehow someone finds an interest in something and is watching it.
I've watched every single season of TUF, because it so consistently produces UFC prospects.

Same - watched em all. Started out glued to the set - now I just turn eye to catch training and fights (and occasionally some of the Dana, Coach, Trainer chatter).

I don't really get the hate for the show. A fight during the middle of the week . Fuck it, in. Sometimes the fights suck, sometimes their good. You get to watch fighters develop into the ufc. What's the problem with that. What really gets me is alot of the people that don't watch are snotty about it, like their in some elite club.

Eh, a lot of those guys would have been in the UFC anyway. It's like UFC signing Elvis Mutapcic to fight this weekend. He's good enough to be on (and potentially win) a TUF season, but he didn't have to, and it doesn't really matter. UFC knows about all of these guys already. MMA world is small.

So it's not that TUF always has bad fighters, it's that it's just pointless. For the most part, these guys are known commodities. I mean, you think UFC didn't know who Hall and Gruetz and all of these guys were before this past season? These are all the guys the UFC is already thinking about signing anyway.

The result is that the show is contrived. This should be obvious by the fact that the UFC signs way more guys than just the winner of the show. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

I watch the show, but I DVR it and fast forward to the fights. Don't really give a shit about the reality house BS.
I normally watch like the first 2-3 episodes all the way through just to get to know more about the fighters and have a bit of an emotional investment. After that I fast-forward through almost everything until the fights as well. If i see something in the previews for the next episode that might seem interesting i may try to find that too but i mostly just skip to the fights.

I don't really get the hate for the show. A fight during the middle of the week . Fuck it, in. Sometimes the fights suck, sometimes their good. You get to watch fighters develop into the ufc. What's the problem with that. What really gets me is alot of the people that don't watch are snotty about it, like their in some elite club.

Most people in this thread who watch TUF skip the reality tv BS. I skip the reality tv BS as well and I just watch training and the fights. If I had to sit through the whole thing, that would really suck.

My guess is that hate comes from it being a very horrible reality tv show most of the time. I like TUF, love the tournament aspect of it but if someone tells me they hate TUF I can totally see why.

Most people in this thread who watch TUF skip the reality tv BS. I skip the reality tv BS as well and I just watch training and the fights. If I had to sit through the whole thing, that would really suck.

My guess is that hate comes from it being a very horrible reality tv show most of the time. I like TUF, love the tournament aspect of it but if someone tells me they hate TUF I can totally see why.
Don't get me wrong, most weeks I skip through the all the bullshit as well but I still can't pass on a fight during the middle of week.

I like it, but it's not needed for publicity or prospects.

Yeah....doesn't really matter to me how the talent has done. I'm hooked on the show regardless...hell, I watched last season religiously and those were TERRIBLE fights. I'm just addicted to the format. Love the woman' TUF even more.

that every single division in the UFC, other than heavyweight, has at least one fighter from TUF in the top 10. At heavyweight, you have to go to rank #11, for roy nelson. here's the full current list:

Flyweight: Dodson (rank #2, season 14 champion )

Bantamweight: Dillashaw (champion, season 14 runner-up), Bryan Caraway (rank #7 season 14 semifinalist at 145)

Featherweight: Bermudez (rank #8, season 14 runner-up)

Lightweight: Ferguson (rank #5, season 13 champion), Johnson (rank #6, season 12 runner-up), Iaquinta (rank #10, season 15 runner-up)

Welterweight: Brown (rank #6, season 7 quarterfinalist), Magny (rank #9, season 16 semifinalist)

Middleweight: Bisping (rank #7, season 3 winner), Whittaker (rank #8, TUF Smashes winner)

Light heavyweight: Bader (rank #4, season 8 winner), Evans (rank #7, season 2 winner)

WBW: Pena (rank #5, season 18 winner)

SW: Everyone in the top 10 is from TUF other than Moroz, Vanzant, Gadelha, and JJ.

Still not sure how people can call themselves MMA fans and not watch this show that routinely puts out contenders.

I agree I'm pretty sure they are hand picked based on performance, word of mouth.

They are future contenders.

And many of those people are hypocrites. They'll be in the other section all up in the drama surrounding people like Conor, Diaz, Dana, Rousey, and such. I see Diaz fans hating on the show while the Diaz bros are walking billboards of BS drama. Fighters like Conor, Diaz bros, Rousey, Chael in the past, Jones, Bisping and such who produce BS drama are the popular fighters FFS. TUF doesn't even have that much BS drama. People like Junie Browning or the 'Let me bang, bro' guy aren't common. TUF is all about the NOS showers.

And many of those people are hypocrites. They'll be in the other section all up in the drama surrounding people like Conor, Diaz, Dana, Rousey, and such. I see Diaz fans hating on the show while the Diaz bros are walking billboards of BS drama. Fighters like Conor, Diaz bros, Rousey, Chael in the past, Jones, Bisping and such who produce BS drama are the popular fighters FFS. TUF doesn't even have that much BS drama. People like Junie Browning or the 'Let me bang, bro' guy aren't common. TUF is all about the NOS showers.
TUF is bad, yawn-inducing drama. Even Ronda and Edmond were lame and skippable there, and we love gossipping about them. What people do on TUF is irrelevant, it's different than Ronda crying and talking about suicide on Ellen Degeneres for example, or fighters trash talking in press conferences. the whole reality tv aspect of TUF is quite frankly a snoozer to me. I'm not being a hypocrite because I just don't like it. I skip cause it's boring.

No, there's not much difference. Getting caught up in BS drama is the same as getting caught up in BS drama. The only difference is that people don't know the fighters on TUF so they don't care. People post plenty of threads about Dana doing boring stuff or the same, tired trash talking from fighters, but people care because they have a vested interest in those people. A lot of the shit people get into would be considered worse 'reality TV drama' than what actually goes on TUF. You find it boring, then you'd want more of the Junie Browning type nonsense.

Back