Trying to sell your carwreck after a car accident

houjebek

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Okay
A few months ago I was in a car accident.
My car is total loss, the engine is still ok but the damage to repair is around 3000 à 4000 euro's.
For a car that I bought in 2002 and paid 9800 at that time, it was a quick decision to buy another one.

Anyway they had to depannage/towing (sorry English is not my mother language) the car to my old car dealer.
The carwreck has been there since then.
My old car dealer told me he would give 500 for it, IF I bought my new car with him. If I didn't bought it, he would give me 250 euros for it. He told this in words not on paper...

Anyway later he came with some suggestions for a new car, but I didn"t really liked them. Then the holiday came up and he closed his garage for some time. In the meantime I found a good deal for a car from the same model somewhere else, so I bought it there.

Now the old car dealer kinda backs down from the deal and says it's difficult to sell a wreck for such an old car etc... A couple of weeks ago I called him and his wife told me they never agreed to buy my old wreck.
I guess they are pissed that I bought my new car somewhere else.
But now the wreck is there and I want to get rid off it and get some money for it.
Started looking on the internet and informing, the prices for a carwreck are going for 15 euro to 600 euro. Pretty crazy. Problem the carwreck is an 14 year old carwreck and nobody seems to want it.
I don't want to sell it for 15 bucks but now what?
Ever been in this situation?

The problem is, the car is going to cost significantly more to repair that it will likely be worth repaired. Unless it's a car that is sought after, a classic for example, it's probably not going to be worth much more than scrap value.

The problem is, the car is going to cost more to repair that it will likely be worth repaired. Unless it's a car that is sought after, a classic for example, it's probably not going to be worth much more than scrap value.
yeah I understand this, but how much is scrap value really?
I heard 15 or 50 euro but that seems like a rip-off to me.

yeah I understand this, but how much is scrap value really?
I heard 15 or 50 euro but that seems like a rip-off to me.

In the UK it's usually around £80-£100. If you can break it yourself then you can get a lot more than that, or find someone that might want to buy it for spares, might get a bit more.

Okay
A few months ago I was in a car accident.
My car is total loss, the engine is still ok but the damage to repair is around 3000 à 4000 euro's.
For a car that I bought in 2002 and paid 9800 at that time, it was a quick decision to buy another one.

Anyway they had to depannage/towing (sorry English is not my mother language) the car to my old car dealer.
The carwreck has been there since then.
My old car dealer told me he would give 500 for it, IF I bought my new car with him. If I didn't bought it, he would give me 250 euros for it. He told this in words not on paper...

Anyway later he came with some suggestions for a new car, but I didn"t really liked them. Then the holiday came up and he closed his garage for some time. In the meantime I found a good deal for a car from the same model somewhere else, so I bought it there.

Now the old car dealer kinda backs down from the deal and says it's difficult to sell a wreck for such an old car etc... A couple of weeks ago I called him and his wife told me they never agreed to buy my old wreck.
I guess they are pissed that I bought my new car somewhere else.
But now the wreck is there and I want to get rid off it and get some money for it.
Started looking on the internet and informing, the prices for a carwreck are going for 15 euro to 600 euro. Pretty crazy. Problem the carwreck is an 14 year old carwreck and nobody seems to want it.
I don't want to sell it for 15 bucks but now what?
Ever been in this situation?

I've scrapped a couple of cars before. The engine was shot on a car I had a couiple of years ago I could have got it it fixed for around 1000 dollars, but it was a 2002 Buick, so I just decided to scrap it. I think I got $120 for it. The prices vary depending on what the price of metal is.

call the junk yards and ask them. I'm assuming you don't have a backyard where you can store it.

Im guessing you can sell for pieces at a junkyard, and im not sure how that works in your country, but here one has to cancel the license plates or you will continue to pay the annual tax of the car, even if it is wrecked and out of circulation.

Im guessing you can sell for pieces at a junkyard, and im not sure how that works in your country, but here one has to cancel the license plates or you will continue to pay the annual tax of the car, even if it is wrecked and out of circulation.
I already cancelled the licence plates. The insurance company takes care of that stuff.
call the junk yards and ask them. I'm assuming you don't have a backyard where you can store it.
Already said that the wreck is at my old car dealer (who refuses to pay for it).
I've scrapped a couple of cars before. The engine was shot on a car I had a couiple of years ago I could have got it it fixed for around 1000 dollars, but it was a 2002 Buick, so I just decided to scrap it. I think I got $120 for it. The prices vary depending on what the price of metal is.
Today I mailed a local junk yard (who buys old metal) if he would take it from me for a reasonable price.
He answered "what is a reasonable price"? I sended him the pics of the wreck and said 200 or do a suggestion.
He has yet to answer on that.

If you say 120 then I guess I probably wont get more than 100 for it here.
I am a bit amazed than a damaged car is worth so little, that is really shocking for me.

Thanks for the answer.

I already cancelled the licence plates. The insurance company takes care of that stuff.

Already said that the wreck is at my old car dealer (who refuses to pay for it).

Today I mailed a local junk yard (who buys old metal) if he would take it from me for a reasonable price.
He answered "what is a reasonable price"? I sended him the pics of the wreck and said 200 or do a suggestion.
He has yet to answer on that.

If you say 120 then I guess I probably wont get more than 100 for it here.
I am a bit amazed than a damaged car is worth so little, that is really shocking for me.

Thanks for the answer.

I scrapped a car back are 1999-2000 too, and I remember getting around $250 for it. It all just depends on what the price of scrap metal is going for as it tends to fluctuate.

Scrap cars here are going for $115/ton. Unless it's something that somebody might want parts from, that's about as much as you can get. Didn't the insurance company end up owning the wrecked car or didn't you have coverage on the vehicle? The shop where it has been sitting will likely charge you for storing it which will be more than it's worth.

I scrapped a car back are 1999-2000 too, and I remember getting around $250 for it. It all just depends on what the price of scrap metal is going for as it tends to fluctuate.
uhuh
yeah so 120-250 dollar price range you mean
Seems reasonable.

Whatever small amount you will end up getting probably will not be worth the time and energy it will take to complete the sale. Let it go and move on imo

Like this?

renault-clio-2002-18.jpg

Renault Clio

Do you have a garage?
If so, you could put a “parting out “ advertisement up, and probably sell $1000+ in parts off of it

Back