TrumpetDan = BJJ Scout???

deadlizard

cold blooded
@Brown
Reaction score
Bunch of people online are saying Dan is the man behind BJJ scout?

Where's the source?

Dan would make logical sense, but let's not give the real man behind BJJ scout his honor.

I doubt it... Dan (who is great and whose vids have helped me a ton) has a business to promote. It wouldn't make too much sense to put a ton of time and effort into anonymous analyses. Also the production of his vids is way different than bjjscout's.

Last edited:
I don't think so. BJJ Scout always struck me as vaguely foreign (foreign from the US).

I don't have any facts to back that up, and logic would say he's most likely American. It's just a feeling I had for some reason.

I don't think so. BJJ Scout always struck me as vaguely foreign (foreign from the US).

I don't have any facts to back that up, and logic would say he's most likely American. It's just a feeling I had for some reason.

Yeah, I get a little bit of that feeling.

The text just seems just a little different, maybe a little too perfect, you know?

Yeah, I get a little bit of that feeling.

The text just seems just a little different, maybe a little too perfect, you know?

his explanation is way beyond an average american english... maybe he's an english major thats interested in bjj ahaha

Where's the source?
- I believe it came from when dan was the commentator on the bjj expo. he went on and on about shin on shin (scouts latest update at the time). his denials were very bad "but scout was in china taping adcc and i did not go to china

I doubt it... Dan (who is great and whose vids have helped me a ton) has a business to promote. It wouldn't make too much sense to put a ton of time and effort into anonymous analyses. Also the production of his vids is way different than bjjscout's.
- so dan runs a business that is bjj and he doesn't have time for this??? his whole life is bjj but he has no time for this? really? no time to break down people's game (see below). he has good video production skills. anonymous - he is low key enough that i would actually believe it would be something dan would do if it is him, and also there is a paypal for bjj scout so maybe he is doing it to raise money (like if you had a kid)

personally, i believe 100% that dan is scout

dan being scout
pros:
-dan has broke down games before and he is excellent. plus look at video editing of it.

^ i mean, shit, this is all i really need for proof
-his commentary was excellent and he was so fucking knowledgeable - definitely enough to be scout
-his music is actually good. most people would have put some jackass rap shit on it
-weak denial of him not being scout. "i was not in china for adcc". Well someone was and taped it, did not have to be scout, especially if scout knew someone who was going to china or even adcc itself.
-scout being "away on business and could not update". seems like this just happened--just before he was doing the 5 tournament--like he was training for it and had no time. Also, what is more likely, a school owner or a guy who travels the world to make bjj breakdown vids?
-analytical bjj skills and knowing games: did i say this already? anyway listen to dan's commentary on bjj expo and then watch bjjscout vids. both are top notch and not many people in the world could do that...period
- almost forgot, but i caught this on the bjjexpo. There was an A and B mat and dan said "B SIDE" for mat B-- like bjjscouts bsides youtube account. Why not B mat? why B side? who would say b side for mat b??? this is almost irrefutable evidence
- does not speak on the videos: why? would everyone know who we was when he was trying to Clark Kent up in here?

cons:
-he was not in china to film adcc (see above). this is a very week argument

he is 100% bjjscout until someone else proves otherwise. if he is trying to keep this under wraps for a good reason: i apologize. but keep up the good work. If people knew dan was scout he would get more donations i bet :p

note: if someone wants to be anonymous they can change things up and make up stories. come on people.

Could be. Here is Dan's training log if anyone wants to compare and do some detective work :)

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31351542

This quote lends a lot of credence to your theory, though:

Id like to take a step back from competing for a while. I like being somewhat disconnected with the BJJ scene. It allows me to just have my moral compass to guide me with the feedback given by those closest to me. Sometimes its best just to trust your own judgement and not know what people are thinking. I feel I enter in to the BJJ good old boys network - of which im not very high on the ladder - when I step into the limelight. At blue and purple I was completely anonymous and I liked that. I dont like being in the limelight and I felt very much in the limelight as of recent. Its neat, but my thoughts are I really dont want Braulio Estima or Renzo or Xande or Roger knowing who I am. I dont want to be a BJJ social butterfly. I want to do my thing in my own little Brea JJ island and let some interesting and unique perspectives develop. I feel fortunate that I am not a well known Jiu-Jitsu competitor. To my students I am not god. I am not higher than them. I have some quality people at my gym that join because they like my gym in its entirety and not my name.

I will return - its just not my time in the sun yet.

Last edited:
I admit it would would make logical sense. Even 1 or 2 of my students have thought its me in passing. Its not! Having a background in video production and bjj analysis, I can tell you that these videos take up a bunch of time - despite the fact that BJJ Scout downplays the time it takes to put them together. Even if you know what you want to do, it takes lots of time to rip and collect various video clips and form them into a narrative of what you are trying to accomplish. I promise you all: I have an academy, an after school program, a young son (who I watch 7AM-4PM), a pregnant wife and teach music on the weekends. I have no time to do such things at the moment. If I had the time, I would be making a inexpensive subscription site where you could build a grappler (give me the guard of Leandro Lo, The passing of Roger Gracie and the defense of Ryron Gracie) that would assemble into a curriculum based on your selected presets. I simply just dont have the time.

I wish it was me, and I am capable of doing such things, but its not. Its kind of like when you see a great invention that was so simple that you wish you invented it. Maybe one day I will do something similar but for now I am just appreciating all of the hard work that is put into them and learning from them. It almost feels like cheating when I learn and teach from them because all the ground work has been done for me. I really like the fact that he stays in the shadows because then its about BJJ and not about him - something that I have disliked about my early analysis videos. It was more about my qualifications than what I was saying. I know the real BJJ scout is reading this and I just want to say thanks!...and dont tell me who you are, because ill tell everybody the second I figure it out.

This rumor is being spread by people that know its not me! The rumor started and was fanned in the chat room of the BJJ expo by my friends who were in the chat just to ballbust me. I even got all excited when somebody put their hand on the mat and exclaimed "active posting! active posting!" at one point as an inside joke with the BJJ community. I asked Braulio Estima what he thought about BJJ Scout because I wanted his thoughts on people analyzing games because I had done similar things before...though im pretty sure he just faked he knew what I was talking about. 1337 and crew have a pretty loud voice (and know its not me!) and are fanning it too!

Last edited:
If I had the time, I would be making a inexpensive subscription site where you could build a grappler (give me the guard of Leandro Lo, The passing of Roger Gracie and the defense of Ryron Gracie) that would assemble into a curriculum based on your selected presets. I simply just dont have the time.
Hell of an idea.

Hell of an idea.

Despite the fact that I love BJJ Scout, and all of the inexpensive high quality training sites out there, they somewhat kill my motivation to do things like this though. Im looking for my niche and my own unique way to contribute to BJJ and it makes me feel like one of the crowd. Competing for your $25 with Braulio Estima, Xande, MendesBros, Marcelo Garcia, Ciao Terra, Andre Galvao and others combined with awesome free videos that are out there affirm its not the path I want to invest my time in. I want to be unique.

colorful-butterfly.jpg

This thread is awesome.

Btw, fantastic performance yesterday trumpet, I was really impressed.

BJJ Scout is someone who trains fulltime, and analyses people who play a game that would fit for himself in the main part

it is not keenan either, as people said, dumdumtshhhh

This rumor is being spread by people that know its not me!

Preggers from chat knew it wasn't you? I have to ask him. Not that we are the same person, much like you and bjjscout are not the same person

[YT]alPQgx7SGms[/YT]

Back