Trump to Impose 3rd Round of Sanctions in 4 Weeks on Russia UPDATE: Not Really

waiguoren

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
  1. The Trump administration plans to impose new sanctions against Russia on Monday to punish it for enabling the Syrian government’s use of chemical weapons in its civil war
  2. The sanctions are meant to signal that the United States holds responsible not just the government of President Bashar al-Assad but also his patrons in Russia and Iran
  3. The new American sanctions were announced on Sunday by Nikki R. Haley, the ambassador to the United Nations
  4. “They will go directly to any sort of companies that were dealing with equipment related to Assad and chemical weapons use,” Haley said
  5. Will be the third round of sanctions enacted by the Trump administration against Russia in the past four weeks, in addition to the expulsion of 60 Russian diplomats/spies and the closing of the Russian consulate in Seattle
Full article from the New York Times here.

UPDATE:

• Administration officials said the economic sanctions were under serious consideration, along with other measures that could be taken against Russia, but said Trump had not given final authorization to implement them
  • Sometime after Haley’s comments on CBS, the Trump administration notified the Russian Embassy in Washington that the sanctions were not in fact coming, a Russian Foreign Ministry official said Monday
  • White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement Monday: “We are considering additional sanctions on Russia and a decision will be made in the near future.”
Source

Discuss.

Last edited:
So now not only are we asked to believe that Assad would do this tactically stupid move, but that the Russians are involved in a conspiracy to cover it up.

“They will go directly to any sort of companies that were dealing with equipment related to Assad and chemical weapons use,”

So the sanctions are only against a few hand picked Russian companies?

This is really all about Iran folks. Russia is the decoy.

So now not only are we asked to believe that Assad would do this tactically stupid move, but that the Russians are involved in a conspiracy to cover it up.

Yes exactly. Both countries past conduct strongly indicate this is what's happening.

Yes exactly. Both countries past conduct strongly indicate this is what's happening.

Lol, if we are basing this decision on past actions, I'm definitely in the right to assume our intelligence is lying to us.

This is all fake news because I've already been told that Russia and Trump are great friends and that Vladimir Putin is the real president of our country and all kinds of other hyperbole...

Snapback to reality oh there goes gravity...

You mean like the 3 day warning about the missles Trump gave through twitter.

No. It isn't.
It's a criticism without implication.
The implication easily resonates when the same posters are always on the same side of the political Spectrum and railing against the opposite side of that political Spectrum.

Because in 2018 it doesn't seem like one person can hate Donald Trump and also hate the American left-wing media. At least, I don't see it very much. Everyone has retreated to their respective tribe and dug a trench.

I go on Vice articles and make fun of Tea Baggers and snowflakes alike. Suddenly I'm a Russian troll. Every single time.

It seems if you ask a lefty nowadays, the middle simply does not in cannot exist. I really hope that the majority doesn't feel that way otherwise we're going to hand absolute power over to a group of people that say they're for equality and fairness... and what? We're going to whistle to ourselves as we jump off that cliff?

The only thing that's more scary to me then another 4 years of worrying about Donald Trump starting a nuclear war is the DNC taking over both houses and the White House... both are equally dangerous.

Back