Trump forced Chinese Phone Company ZTE to shutdown

1 Billion dollar penalty, though?

That's some pretty expensive pussy.
They probably made more selling banned shit to Iran and are laughing to the bank.

But who still has the lion's share of smartphone profits? The market share of the rich consumers who actually spend money?
Apple still does, but their fate is tied to the disproportionate wealth of the North American market. Android dominates other regions of the world so completely that even the affluent see little reason to buy an iPhone because it divides them from everyone in their own market and social circles.

The closed-OS never wins in the long term as surely as the open-OS never makes money. The semi-open OS always wins. Long term? Always. Always.

There's a reason everyone on Wall Street wants Apple to merge with Tesla. Apple has no ideas. That's why they spent 17 minutes on Animojis-- fucking Animojis-- during the keynote of the Apple WWDC in 2017 (its biggest unveiling show of the year). This past June they were droning on about Memojis. This is the "innovation" coming out of Apple under Tim Cook.

More people are buying used/refurbished phones than ever before, and at the same time people are holding off on upgrades longer than ever before. It's not a coincidence. Even the older Androids are now "good enough" for most people's everyday usage. They're snappy enough, they're reliably functional, they run all the apps of genuine utility, and they are even adequate playgrounds for all that dumb crap Apple is leaning on above. The minimum that the everyday users needed in terms of processing power was passed a while ago with mobile chipsets. The Moto G series is the defining Android budget line in North America, and a brand new Moto G6 for $250 is superior to the Samsung Galaxy S4 which was the bee's knees of Android devices in 2013. It's twice as powerful, and better all around as a piece of hardware.

Don't be comforted. Motorola was bought by Lenovo (a Chinese coorporation) a while ago.

My point isn't that Android is going to gobble up a whole lot new profit. My point is that Apple's profit is going to disappear. Android never depended on those profit margins, and It also nearly monopolizes the global OS market itself. Volume and low margins are its game. They are sitting fabulously.

Apple should enjoy the champagne while it lasts because they definitely are not. There is diminishing value and demand for new devices, and they don't seem to have a strategy to address this. The iTunes market is generating a lot of wealth, and that's good, but what the hell do emojis have to do with making money? Look at the 2018 keynote. The whole damn thing was about improvements to OS software. Who cares? OS software exists to sell hardware devices, and these devices are what is losing all of their value. These are what you're not going to keep selling at the same rate, or with the expectation of the same profit.
Cyangen OS needs to fire back up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS
It's still going via its "fork". This is how the open-source community endures; it transforms and adapts.

Someone needs to Zuckerburg that shit then.
They couldn't make the first version profitable. That's why the creator Steve Kondik left. He's the same man who was behind Touchwiz before it went to crap. He was responsible for the OS & software design of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which remains the bestselling Android handset in history. He joined OculusVR in the AR/VR gold rush.

Generally speaking, it's not a wise idea to threaten the company on which your own company's business model is based.

Greatest phone of all-time:
6102.gif

They couldn't make the first version profitable. That's why the creator Steve Kondik left. He's the same man who was behind Touchwiz before it went to crap. He was responsible for the OS & software design of the Samsung Galaxy S3 which remains the bestselling Android handset in history. He joined OculusVR in the AR/VR gold rush.

Generally speaking, it's not a wise idea to threaten the company on which your own company's business model is based.

I used CM and CM based ROMs from XDA on my S3/4/5 but usually I just got root, removed bloatware and various non essential programs/files and added Xposed Framework if only for Youtube Ad Away.

Apple should enjoy the champagne while it lasts because they definitely are not. There is diminishing value and demand for new devices, and they don't seem to have a strategy to address this. The iTunes market is generating a lot of wealth, and that's good, but what the hell do emojis have to do with making money? Look at the 2018 keynote. The whole damn thing was about improvements to OS software. Who cares? OS software exists to sell hardware devices, and these devices are what is losing all of their value. These are what you're not going to keep selling at the same rate, or with the expectation of the same profit. ...
Yeah emojis are lame, but you don't really think all of Apple's R&D spending resulted in zero future moneymaking tricks up their sleeves that haven't been disclosed or leaked yet, do you? It's not like they're Tesla and have to throw out shit to get people talking and distracted from their shit execution and cash burn. Also, the stock news reporters keep talking about the growing services business, so it's not like they are just selling iPhones without making money from the established ecosystem. The experts who compare Apple to Walkman, Blackberry ignore Apple's sticky ecosystem. Warren Buffet invested a ton of money into Apple stock, and I don't think he's a short-term flipper.

What do you think of people who would buy their phones for the emojis? Because that is their market.
Wonder if they got an emoji like this?

uSf7hLd.gif
I am not this cynical about Apple users. I tend to find the most ignorant groups of people tend to be the ones who preoccupy themselves more with the perceived identity of a brand's customers than the brand's product itself, so I would advise you to be cautious in these waters.

Emojis are a function of the unicode platform, which is universal and can be integrated into any operating system, so it is not owned by Apple, and is available to Android users on the latest Android versions, too. I do not believe in the long-term potential for dominating markets based on customization of a code-line that doesn't belong to company implementing it. What is the leverage, here? Android owners see a letterbox instead of the emoji their friend sent? How does that work with a massively inferior market presence? Good luck leveraging that. If emojis truly become a market driver expect to see Android customize all of its own unicode appropriations, and suddenly Apple users will be the dunces sitting in the corner with a cone on their heads.

I think we may be missing the point. Apple manufactures the finest piece of hardware in the smartphone world, objectively speaking. After all, remember when Android fanboys wouldn't cease from touting the processing power advantage of Android handsets-- even if that didn't translate to the real world?
https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks
https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
11f725aa-41c1-498a-bd38-0bfa5641a846.png
e4120252-6578-4dae-9e0e-a24684c14bb4.png

b726fd87-9cc0-4dc5-a109-2675aad5512f.png
dd5c26fc-55d5-4a29-85bf-00723f25af8b.png
The Single Core score is more important than the Multicore Score to predicting real-world performance in almost all applications though there is a more complicated relationship. UserBenchmark, in the desktop world, offers an "Effective Speed" score which has become the god reference among gamers, editors, and others in the know. For CPUs the equation is 30% Single Core, 60% Quad Core, and 10% Multicore. The "Quad Core" measurement is unavailable to us here, but that represents a more practically targeted compromise between Single Core and Multicore performance.

The Apple A11 Bionic was launched with the iPhone 8 in September, 2017and is the kicking the shit out of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 which wasn't seen broadly in devices until the Samsung Galaxy S9 launch in March, 2018, a full six months later (remember, this is 1/4 a Moore Cycle). Graphically they're about equal.

The point of my post isn't that this doesn't matter. It matters a great deal. It is just that it mattered a great deal before to the mainstream, and now it doesn't matter so much to mainstream users going forward. It's like asking a mainstream desktop office user if they're really upset their computer doesn't have an i7 processor instead of an i3/Pentium/Celeron. They don't care. It doesn't make a difference to them, anymore. It used to. Regular office workers used to care about that particular brand a great deal: "Pentium". It was advertised on television all the time. It meant your computer wouldn't suck. That was 15-20 years ago emerging from times when it still took your computer 30-60 seconds just to wake up from sleep/screensavers, and become responsive. People noticed.

Apple's meaningful advantages are evaporating. That's why they are talking about emojis. I don't see the road ahead with this.

I am not this cynical about Apple users. I tend to find the most ignorant groups of people tend to be the ones who preoccupy themselves more with the perceived identity of a brand's customers than the brand's product itself, so I would advise you to be cautious in these waters.

Emojis are a function of the unicode platform, which is universal and can be integrated into any operating system, so it is not owned by Apple, and is available to Android users on the latest Android versions, too. I do not believe in the long-term potential for dominating markets based on customization of a code-line that doesn't belong to company implementing it. What is the leverage, here? Android owners see a letterbox instead of the emoji their friend sent? How does that work with a massively inferior market presence? Good luck leveraging that. If emojis truly become a market driver expect to see Android customize all of its own unicode appropriations, and suddenly Apple users will be the dunces sitting in the corner with a cone on their heads.

I think we may be missing the point. Apple manufactures the finest piece of hardware in the smartphone world, objectively speaking. After all, remember when Android fanboys wouldn't cease from touting the processing power advantage of Android handsets-- even if that didn't translate to the real world?
https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks
https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
11f725aa-41c1-498a-bd38-0bfa5641a846.png
e4120252-6578-4dae-9e0e-a24684c14bb4.png

b726fd87-9cc0-4dc5-a109-2675aad5512f.png
dd5c26fc-55d5-4a29-85bf-00723f25af8b.png
The Single Core score is more important than the Multicore Score to predicting real-world performance in almost all applications though there is a more complicated relationship. UserBenchmark, in the desktop world, offers an "Effective Speed" score which has become the god reference among gamers, editors, and others in the know. For CPUs the equation is 30% Single Core, 60% Quad Core, and 10% Multicore. The "Quad Core" measurement is unavailable to us here, but that represents a more practically targeted compromise between Single Core and Multicore performance.

The Apple A11 Bionic was launched with the iPhone 8 in September, 2017and is the kicking the shit out of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 which wasn't seen broadly in devices until the Samsung Galaxy S9 launch in March, 2018, a full six months later (remember, this is 1/4 a Moore Cycle). Graphically they're about equal.

The point of my post isn't that this doesn't matter. It matters a great deal. It is just that it mattered a great deal before to the mainstream, and now it doesn't matter so much to mainstream users going forward. It's like asking a mainstream desktop office user if they're really upset their computer doesn't have an i7 processor instead of an i3/Pentium/Celeron. They don't care. It doesn't make a difference to them, anymore. It used to. Regular office workers used to care about that particular brand a great deal: "Pentium". It was advertised on television all the time. It meant your computer wouldn't suck. That was 15-20 years ago emerging from times when it still took your computer 30-60 seconds just to wake up from sleep/screensavers, and become responsive. People noticed.

Apple's meaningful advantages are evaporating. That's why they are talking about emojis. I don't see the road ahead with this.

Uhh...just so you know....

I just wanted an excuse to put up the Brock emoji I found. <Moves>

Uhh...just so you know....

I just wanted an excuse to put up the Brock emoji I found. <Moves>
That's a transparent GIF, my friend. Any phone on any system (using any app that can recognize basic media containers) will show that.

I'm talking about inline emojis based on the latest Unicode standards.

Back